my dog doesnt stop crying

My 3 month old puppy which I just purchased not too long ago she keeps on crying or whining when she is in her area in our house? Should I ignore her whining so she can get used to it? Im worried for her!!! I am just keeping her in the house until we get our backyard fully fenced this might take a month or two. Please help she crys or whines all day. :confused: :confused:

Debi

My Hammie was a real whiner when he was a pup. Sometimes, I just had to let him cry. I usually picked him up when I could, tho....they're just babies. He is now 7 mos. old and all that coddling didn't seem to do him any harm....ok, he's a little spoiled.......but he grew out of the crying fairly quickly. :)

Remember, too, that at 4 months she won't be old enough to leave alone in the yard safely.

Don't run to her every time she whines, just use a little judgement and discretion. It's okay to spoil them some, but if you jump every time your dog whines you'll end up with a dictator instead of a companion. They figure things out pretty quickly.

If she's really having a hard time with separation, give her an old t-shirt that you've been wearing so she'll have something soft that smells like you.

My puppy is 3 months old when do you think she should be able to stay in the yard? If she cant were do you think i should keep him (garage, his room in the house etc..)

He'll always be much safer inside the house in his room when you're not at home. You'll always want to be able to supervise him when he's out in the yard, even with a fence. Dogs can be very talented escape artists when something - like another dog or a person - catches their attention. I've even seen dogs climb fences and get very good at it. Even grown dogs can get into trouble, and that doesn't take into account things like neighborhood kids (and some adults for that matter) who think it's fun to tease a dog that's behind a fence, so you'll always want to be able to keep an eye on your dog when it's outside, and especially listen for barking that might let you know something's going on that you need to take care of.

Out here on the farm we put our dogs in the house when we leave, that way we know they'll be safe and sound when we get back. Now, whether the house will be in one piece or not . . . (lol)

MEG126

Renee750il said:
Dogs can be very talented escape artists when something - like another dog or a person - catches their attention. I've even seen dogs climb fences and get very good at it.
ok 2 stories with escaping dogs...

when my golden, penny (she's now three) was a really little pup, she made a real habit of escaping from whatever little area we made for her. we had a crate for her, but she HATED it, so we gave up that idea and would just make her little areas out of objects like big trunks to keep her from getting into anything in the basement. several mornings we'd come down to get her and she wouldn't be in the little area anymore and we had no idea how she'd gotten out. that happened several times and she earned herself the name penny houdini. we didn't figure it out until she was in timeout in her little area and we heard her whining and went and saw that she was doing a little army crawl under the work bench. :eek: guess we hadn't made that completely puppy-safe, so we made another wall instead of the work bench but after a few nights in that she was getting very close to climbing over the side of the trunks (they were about 1.5ft high) so we moved her to the kitchen where an inclosed space wasn't necessary.

when we still had our other dog (cara, she was a collie) we found this stray dog in the neighborhood (i think she was some kind of a golden mix). we put out announcements that we'd found a lost dog and noticed on her tag that she was from another county about an hour away. anyways so we were going to keep her if nobody called about her. so one night we were eating dinner on the porch and i spotted her stuck on the top of the fence! we ran down and lifted her down; she was full grown, smaller than my female golden and our fence is wooden and 5'4" tall. it was really weird. so we're thinking she had quite a history of escaping. we made a point of watching her in the yard and she made several other attempts and my dad decided that one dog was enough (and obviously we were having a little trouble keeping her in the yard) so the animal control came and got her and they called us later that week and said they had found her owners.

My dog is already 1 year old. She's s been whining, squicking, crying ever since I got her (thats about a year of that). We live in an apartment so thats a real problem, so every time I leave she starts it right of way, the neighbors even thretened to call the animal control. So the only way for her to be quiet is for me to give her food and leave immidietly so she doesnt see me open the door and leave. But now we got a new dog, shes even worst. I bought her a muzzle today but I really can't leave her with that thing on when shes by herself. basically she is a VERY hiperactive dog. (when we go to the park, dog store or just when shes riding along in the car she cryes like some one is cutting her ---ALL the time---I guess because of all the people she sees). So if anyone can suggest me what to do, or may be there is a medication for that, please help me!!! I really would appreciate that.

Allyse718

I want 2 b a dog 4 a day
My dog Katy learned how to climb the privacy fence. There are the support beams that run across the fence, and she figured out that she could use them like a ladder. I had to have the company that put the fence up come out and reverse how they put it up. It looks kind of funny, but at least I don't have to worry about her climbing over the 8 ft fence anymore. She tried so many times after we got it switched to climb out but she just slid back down. It was a riot to watch!!

frokenvin

! I completely relate on this -- my dear is 3 months old as well and I'm having the same apt. issues as natalia...

I do know that the more often you ignore themthe less they'll whine... if you baby them when they want it, it's like training them to be so vocal to get your attention! Great game, huh? (Of course I'm not sure of this it's just what I have gathered in raising birds) I've only had Luke for 3 days yet, and only one thing has worked so far: tiring him out about a half hour before I put him to bed. He was asleep when I left for work that night (I work overnights so the problem is quite a problem!!!) so I snuck out the door. : D I was so happy about that -- the first night i had to call in to work thinking it was going to be a one night settling in type of thing... But last night he had a fit as I was trying to leave... I had a fit, as well... Talk about stress, but, I know it can only get better! I'm going to search the web for informative articles on this subject and I'll post if I come up with anything good.

My puppy did the same thing at first. It was hard to listen to at night and not go to her. It was easier to leave her (in the crate) during the day when I went to work because (of course) I didn't have to hear her crying. Well, bottom line...she got used to it and doesn't do it anymore. It took about a week or so. At first when I got home she acted like ohmygod...don't ever leave me again...just crying and clinging to me. It was very endearing! She no longer does that either. Your baby is just being a baby...it's an insecurity thing. Once they realize that you're coming back, they're ok. If you go back and baby them when they're doing it....you ARE reinforcing the crying/insecurity so don't do it! For most pups, it's a temporary thing. Then, of course...there's seperation anxiety....

Pam

taratippy

Natalia12345 said:
My dog is already 1 year old. She's s been whining, squicking, crying ever since I got her (thats about a year of that). We live in an apartment so thats a real problem, so every time I leave she starts it right of way, the neighbors even thretened to call the animal control. So the only way for her to be quiet is for me to give her food and leave immidietly so she doesnt see me open the door and leave. But now we got a new dog, shes even worst. I bought her a muzzle today but I really can't leave her with that thing on when shes by herself. basically she is a VERY hiperactive dog. (when we go to the park, dog store or just when shes riding along in the car she cryes like some one is cutting her ---ALL the time---I guess because of all the people she sees). So if anyone can suggest me what to do, or may be there is a medication for that, please help me!!! I really would appreciate that.
Hi Natalie, lots of questions Im afraid, firstly have you made sure its nothing medical - quick vet check up to make sure? Also as she's hyperactive what sort of exercise is she getting and what sort of training are you doing with her? Is she being destructive hence the muzzle? A muzzle may just stress her out even more if she's not used to it. When you go out do you leave her things to play with, stuffed kongs are excellent for keeping them occupied and distracting them when you leave. Of course we all have to work and leave them alone sometimes but as she's a baby a snuggle toy to cuddle and a few toys to play with may help. Sorry about all the questions but its better to know all the details. Oh and who is the new new addition?
Sorry about all the questions but Im a nosey old boot!

taratippy said:
Hi Natalie, lots of questions Im afraid, firstly have you made sure its nothing medical - quick vet check up to make sure? Also as she's hyperactive what sort of exercise is she getting and what sort of training are you doing with her? Is she being destructive hence the muzzle? A muzzle may just stress her out even more if she's not used to it. When you go out do you leave her things to play with, stuffed kongs are excellent for keeping them occupied and distracting them when you leave. Of course we all have to work and leave them alone sometimes but as she's a baby a snuggle toy to cuddle and a few toys to play with may help. Sorry about all the questions but its better to know all the details. Oh and who is the new new addition?
Sorry about all the questions but Im a nosey old boot!
Hey Taratippy,
Well the new addition was a 2 year old blue pit from the shelter, but unfortinatlly they were making it really hard for me. First of all my dog (the loud one) just wouldn't leave her alone --- I mean just in her face all the time, folliving her everywhere --- unlike the other one that could care less about her. So when we would leave I had to put her in a walk-in closet (it's quite big ---- she had water and her bed in there)--- a little fence (the ones they use for toddlers so they don't walk up the stairs), to separate them from each, so they don't fight while we are away. But she would open the lil' fence get in the trash can, make a huge mess, obviosly get in the fight with with Lady (my original pit) ---- just another disturb. for my neighbors. Yes I could have backed up the lil' fence with something so she wouldn't be able to open in ---- yell at them every time the try to bite each other,hide the trash can------- but having pets should be pleasure ------- so long story short I had to take my baby back to the animal shelter just after 4 days =((( It just broke my heart when they were taking here back to the cage. I couldn't stop crying at first ---- I mean sounds pathetic but I'm sure dog lovers would understand. The thing is that she was so wonderfull -- so nice, quete, never pulled the leash, come to you when ever you called her ----- totally opposite of my dog. Belive it would have been the right thing to turn my dog in instead, but any one that would adopt her would not put up with her behavior. Also, every time we took them out to the bathroom not only we had to watch out for our bitchy neighbors to notice that we got another dog, but my dog would start crying on top of her lungs as soon as I walk out with the other dog ---
But I definetly should have thought about the consiquences before I made the desicion to adopt another dog :( It's second day with out her and I still have tears coming, just by thinking about her (I was going to name her Lucky - because she was adopted ---- but she wasn't so after all)

Yes she has toys, big bone, balls to play with ---the only think that works it leave while she is eating. But you the real problem is her exitement when she is the car for example entering in to the park ---- it's seriously like someone would be cutting her --- that kind of yell. When I took her to petco the other day (definetly first and last time) she was pulling her leash like a crocodile on the tile--- sliding--- making her yell---- people would come to the section where we were --- just to see was is going on ---
But at home with us COMPLETELY diff. story. And she gets about 20 min. at night in the yard (when the neighbors are going to sleep) to run around.

taratippy

Hi Natalia, hope things are improving with your pup, what sort is she by the way? Im thinking that a stuffed kong would certainly help distract her while your out, it will give her something to think about for ages if you stuff it really well. As for the pulling on the harness, what does your trainer say and how does your training club go about getting them lead trained? Do you just have a lead and collar for her, Ive found that a harness gives you much more control and can even calm them down. Do you only travel in the car to the park? It might be an idea to get her used to being in the car for very short durations. Maybe try sitting in with her for 5 mins and when she's quiet give her a treat. Make it longer and longer and when she's quiet treat, then you could start with short journeys round the block say treat when quiet. At the moment maybe she's getting excited as she knows where she's going. As Im not sure, may have missed it, what sort of dog she is 20 mins exercise is perhaps not tiring her out and she may need a bit more run time. How many walks does she get during the day and for how long. Oh and Im still not sure why she's got a muzzle?

Sorry I know even more questions! Hope some stuff helps though.

Members online