Yea!!! I'm finally encouraged about Charlie's health!

Charliesmommy

I run with scissors
So yesterday I had a consult with a lady here in town who is sort of known as the guru of dog skin problems. We talked for an hour and a half and she reviewed all of Charlie's vet records and made several recommendations and all of this was FREE!

She is a wonderful woman who owns a local pet shop and her biggest interest is skin conditions, which she has been researching for about 40 years so she has seen it all.

Interestingly, she doesn't think Charlie has allergies at all. She thinks he has a bacterial infection and also a very low immune system (which I already knew that part).

I have been going crazy trying to find something that will help him and evaluating all the different approaches and what to do first. I am so glad that I talked to Karen and I'm going to let her manage Charlie's care for a while and see what happens. It takes soooo much pressure off me to have someone I trust to help me make decisions!

Aussie Red

Rebel With Cause
How does she suggest you treat him CM ? All the more knowledge here helps. I am glad you are felling better about how he is doing. Hugs to Charlie.

Charliesmommy

I run with scissors
When I got him at 8 weeks old he had a staph infection and it has recurred a few times. That, in addition to the multitude of illnesses he has had, is what leads her to believe he has a weak immune system that has never allowed him to fully fight off the staph infection. The outward symptoms of pustules and sores will go away, but it is really still there under the surface, causing the itchiness.

She wants me to get him on antibiotics (which I can conveniently get from my friend who works at the vets office) and change his diet to either raw or Wellness Simple Soultion and give him a digestive enzyme.

She believes that his immune system is weak because his body does not digest foods very well, which makes total sense because he has a VERY sensitive stomach and vomits or has diarrhea about once or twice a week for no reason. We're going to try this for 8 weeks and I am to keep a journal of his progress, etc and then we will re-evaluate.

Charliesmommy

I run with scissors
That is so good, CM! Now you gotta keep this thread going and give us updates, ok?
I'll do my best! He is still fininshing up a course of Prednisone right now so I'm hoping by the time the Prednisone is gone these other things will be starting to kick in.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Ah, good!

I have to say Mordy was invaluable to us -and still is, actually- for her help with Buddy.

All sorts of things can be done to boost his immune system- good luck!

Doberluv

It does sound promising. I do hope this will get resolved for you and poor Charlie. That has to be so miserable. Keep us posted. Best wishes.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Sounds good! I'd like to talk to this lady at some point, since I'm trying to open up my own food store and I'd like to be able to help my customers pick the best food for their needs.

Or at the very least, have her give you a list of good links to pass on?? :D

Charliesmommy

I run with scissors
Sounds good! I'd like to talk to this lady at some point, since I'm trying to open up my own food store and I'd like to be able to help my customers pick the best food for their needs.

Or at the very least, have her give you a list of good links to pass on?? :D
Zoom, she would probably be happy to talk to you. If you're serious, PM me and I'll give you her name and number.

Members online

No members online now.