a pretty, pretty bug (large pic)

AGonzalez

Not a lurker
Wow that's amazing! I've never seen grasshoppers out this early though?

These are the kind we have back home:

They don't come out until fall, there's also light tan ones with blue stripes and really bright blue ones with yellow stripes.

Grasshoppers are cool!

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
cool! We've had grasshoppers out for nearly a month. Butterflies were out sporadically all winter because they're so mild. This one was unusual..ours are typically shades of green or yellow. My daugher caught her in her net and we took pics then released. Very mellow hopper LOL. Almost posed!

AGonzalez

Not a lurker
That's so cool, I used to do that as a kid too.
The black and yellow ones are about the size of one of the big yellow highlighters, they are huge! They migrate in the fall time (or something) and sit on the roadways which actually become slick with run-over hoppers...(that's in AZ not NY...no idea what NY has)

**Moves to TX to see hoppers**

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
It's GREAT to hear them hopping around when I walk to school to pick up the kids. They are on the warm brick walls sunning at the school a lot of times...and in the roads doing the same. Not plague or "ooky' amounts...just enough to sound like spring.

When the CICADAS come out...that's when you know the long hot days of summer are upon you. I don't think I can sleep in summer, without hearing them. :)

Members online

No members online now.