Chaz Moms and Moms-to-Be Chat (everyone welcome)

boneyjean

Stinky Butt
Has anyone done any kind of non cry-it-out sleep training?

Lillian goes through periods of sleeping through the night, but typically she wakes very frequently - and now it's starting to be not to eat, just to be rocked/soothed back to sleep. We're thinking about doing some sort of sleep training to teach her how to self-soothe and fall asleep on her own (she won't fall asleep in a swing, car, stroller, etc..ONLY if she's being held (and usually walked/rocked/swaddled/etc.). And unless she's in a VERY deep sleep, her eyes pop wide open and she cries when we put her down.
I tried the No Cry Sleep Solution and it just didn't work for us. The one that did work was The Sleep Lady's Good Night Sleep Tight. It is also geared for many ages so it has helped me with regressions as well. I think it involved a little crying possibly, but it wasn't anything I was uncomfortable with because I wasn't leaving the room and just letting them figure it out. It was more of a protest because they wanted their way and I was holding out for them to be in their bed and not held the entire time. With both my kids, getting them to fall asleep on their own the first time was the key to sleeping through the night. And like you, I was spending so much time trying to get them to sleep, then they would wake as soon as I put them in the crib. I started much earlier with Cooper before he knew any different. And although he has actually been more of a challenge overall because he regresses every now and then with going to sleep on his own, he slept through the night much earlier than Devin. He is far more high strung and extremely stubborn than she is though so it doesn't surprise me! With both, we got into a routine of rocking and reading, then lights out and rocking a few more minutes in the dark, then into their bed awake, and I sat in a chair next to them and started with my hand on them or whatever while they fell asleep with me in the room, eventually it went to no touching, and then finally, them falling asleep on their own with me outside of the room.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
I tried the No Cry Sleep Solution and it just didn't work for us. The one that did work was The Sleep Lady's Good Night Sleep Tight. It is also geared for many ages so it has helped me with regressions as well. I think it involved a little crying possibly, but it wasn't anything I was uncomfortable with because I wasn't leaving the room and just letting them figure it out. It was more of a protest because they wanted their way and I was holding out for them to be in their bed and not held the entire time. With both my kids, getting them to fall asleep on their own the first time was the key to sleeping through the night. And like you, I was spending so much time trying to get them to sleep, then they would wake as soon as I put them in the crib. I started much earlier with Cooper before he knew any different. And although he has actually been more of a challenge overall because he regresses every now and then with going to sleep on his own, he slept through the night much earlier than Devin. He is far more high strung and extremely stubborn than she is though so it doesn't surprise me! With both, we got into a routine of rocking and reading, then lights out and rocking a few more minutes in the dark, then into their bed awake, and I sat in a chair next to them and started with my hand on them or whatever while they fell asleep with me in the room, eventually it went to no touching, and then finally, them falling asleep on their own with me outside of the room.
This is essentially what we did with Hannah :)

I also had a fisher price aquarium light up crib toy mounted on the side of the crib and she could wtch that light up and play music

MM, there's some good non-CIO sleep resources on Evolutionary Parenting's page!

So we have a wedding to go to on Saturday. The groom is my cousin. This is our third wedding in three months. We left Everleigh with my in laws the first time (at our house) and my mom at her house the second time. Both times there were enough minor incidents that I decided it wasn't worth it to leave her again for this wedding, and, since it's family and I knew some of my little cousins are going, didn't think it was a big deal.

But my mom thought I should text my aunt (mother of the groom) to see of she thought the bride would mind. She said she didn't think so, but she would ask to make sure. This is the text that the bride sent me:

"Hey Allie, We have other friends and family in similar situations but they have not asked. If you guys need to bring Everleigh, then yes bring her. Don't want her going hungry :)"

To me, it seemed a little passive aggressive but I thought perhaps I was misinterpreting it because I don't know her super well. So I asked the grooms sister what she thought. She thought the same thing.

So now I'm upset and sad/angry and anxious. I understand not wanting kids at the wedding, but I KNOW other, older kids are going (even toddlers!) and whether or not you have a no-kids rule, I truly feel like exceptions need to be made for infants. Especially those who are EBF.

Basically, I just needed to vent. I welcomed everyone's kids at our wedding so I can't personally relate but I'm just over brides with their diva attitudes.

/endrant.

joce

^ I took it as thanks for at least asking cuz no one else did. But I don't know her!

Ready to kill the mil. Plan was to have shower at the new house,apparently that is not good and we are ruining the babies life! Give me a freakin break lady! I am getting so sick of it. And husband is just parroting crap she is saying. I don't care! What little boy is going to ask to see pics of his baby shower and care if it was huge and decorated or something little at home. I don't even want one now and especially not one she has anything to do with. I actually heard her say its because I don't like people. Excuse me?! I don't like you and have been worried about my baby and not a shower!

:eek:

I also think she is upset she can not hang money over our heads. Wants us to jump at any chance to get baby stuff and I have the money. I don't care if you buy it or not and if you do don't you DARE have stipulations on it after you get it.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
If she hadn't tacked the "we don't want her to go hungry" and the smiley on it, I'd say passive aggressive, but with that it just sounds like they hadn't thought about it and that they were glad for the check in.

As long as you're on top of things and aren't interrupting the wedding with a screaming kid through all the festivities, I would think there shouldn't be an issue; I do think infants should get a pass if they are still dependent on mom for food as long as mom is considerate, and I know you will be!

The "IF you NEED to bring" part rubs me the wrong way.

But she refused to take a bottle at all for dh today and the last time he tried too so it might actually be a matter of need.

jenv101

Bite Club
Clarissa's eyes were steel grey when she was born. They are blue now and hopefully stay that way. I have blue eyes, my hubby's are light brown but his dads are hazel so it's possible hers will stay blue. 50/50 chance lol.

From what I understand, sleep training is best tried after the 6 month mark. We were having issues where she wouldn't nap and wouldn't sleep at night for longer than an hour or two at a time. Once she hit 6 months we started putting her down awake, with a routine for both naps and bedtime. She caught on virtually right away. If she did cry which I think only happened once or twice for naps we went in every few mins and rubbed her back and said the same phrase each time (you're safe, I love you, it's bedtime). Ever since we started letting her go to sleep on her own the improvement in her sleep has been phenomenal! Sometimes she fusses/complains for 5-10 mins before falling asleep but that's normal and different than a cry. You can usually tell the difference. She now wakes up just once or twice a night and I feed her and she goes back down no problem.

Allison if you don't know her I wouldn't assume anything. Just take Ev and don't worry about it! Have a good time!

jenv101

Bite Club
Ps. You know you live an exciting life when you spend two days trying to get your baby to poop and then when she finally does you want to throw a party. Lol. Solids are fun.

Paige

Let it be
I tried every no cry sleep advice I could get. Blake just needed to be left to cry.... literally 20 seconds after leaving him n his crib he fell asleep. We never slept better. He was a few days shy of a year though when I did that.

Brigs I still lay with at night. The are all so different. Blake needed to soothe himself to be able to fall asleep faster ad without so much crying. Briggs needs me still in bed til he is passed out

milos_mommy

I've heard so many mixed things about the ages to start sleep training. Right now I'm going on you need to wait 6 months for cry it out techniques, but can start non-CIO earlier...but not every child is ready then?

I made the decision to give up pumping for Lillian (who's really refusing to latch except MAYBE once a day if I'm lucky). My supply isn't staying up with only pumping unless I pump every 2 hours and never skip a session, and it's too stressful. I'm sad.

Eta: Allison, I'd take Ev either way. I personally wouldn't think just based on that text she's being passive aggressive at all based on just that text. But, even if she was, maybe pretending her passive aggressiveness went over your head would teach her to be straightforward and not a catty bitch on top of being a bridezilla. I think she was probably completely sincere, though!

Taqroy

My Dad and Falon like to make funny faces for the camera. Bonus fancy hat.

FalonBV10.13.2013-2111 by taqroy, on Flickr

On the eye color topic, Falon's started out gray. Like completely gray, no blue, no green, no brown. Now they have some brown in the middle and are dark gray/blue on the outside. They're pretty cool actually, I really want to know what color they're going to end up. I know they look brown in this pic, you have to make it bigger to see that they're actually gray on the edges.

FalonBV10.13.2013-2012 by taqroy, on Flickr

JessLough

Love My Mutt
On the eye color topic, Falon's started out gray. Like completely gray, no blue, no green, no brown. Now they have some brown in the middle and are dark gray/blue on the outside. They're pretty cool actually, I really want to know what color they're going to end up. I know they look brown in this pic, you have to make it bigger to see that they're actually gray on the edges.

FalonBV10.13.2013-2012 by taqroy, on Flickr
That's how my eyes started out, and now they're pretty much the same... brown in the middle, dark blue/green on the outside. The amount of brown/green/blue change by the day and what I'm wearing.

Both of my children had blue eyes as babies, and not just the newborn blue. Lilah's I knew were going to change just because the blue wasnt quite right, and now they are a true hazel (green and brown).

Now

3 years ago

5 years ago

at 6 months

Cian's stayed blue much longer. They pretty much change color based on what he is wearing like my dad's.

now

3 years ago (I know, kind of gross pic but shows his eyes)

4 years ago (about 21 months here)

18 months

baby

Good heavens you all make beautiful babies!

I have to take Everleigh now regardless as she's suddenly decided that she'd rather starve than take a bottle.

milos_mommy

Does anyone else crack up when their infant gags themselves on their hands? Lillian sounds like a bulimic motorcycle gang leader, it's so loud.

Everleigh doesn't gag herself with her own hands but we gave her a cold carrot to chomp on and she just kept gagging.

Here she is over the past five months:

Members online