Planning for a new dog

tcal

I am new to this forum but hope that I came to the right spot to get advice. I have been waiting to get a dog until I settled somewhere. I just recently graduated college, got a new job and moved into an apartment. The bad parts first I live in a 720 sq ft apartment and work from noon to 8 p.m. monday through friday. The good parts are the rest of my time would be very much dedicated to raising my new dog, there is a dog park nearby, I go on a walk twice a day already, and there is a field next to my apartments to play a good game of fetch. Now that you have the basic information my question is would the types of dogs I really am into be happy living in an apartment and not having me there 8 hours a day. I love boxers and labs and have helped friends raise each breed (though they were living in a house). If neither of these dogs are good in an apartment do you have any suggestions on a dog that would be better suited (preferably not an tiny dog even if it has to be a little smaller than these two). Any suggestions or comments would be very much appreciated.

bubbatd

Welcome !! Both breeds are more energetic than a Golden ....and tend to bark more .

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I would not get either breed honestly. They can be high energy and are not going to do well left alone that long in a small apartment.

I think you should definitley go with an adult dog. Puppies cannot hold it that long and will need you to be there more often. A smaller-medium adult (2+ years) mutt would be where I started looking. You can find some awesome dogs in shelters and rescues.

Also, with renting (I'm in the same boat) check for size and breed restrictions with your landlord. Understand that even if your current place is okay, if you move it will be much harder to find a place to rent with a large dog and even harder with certain breeds that are often banned. Check the 'norm' regulations around where you live. I like having a backup plan.

Last edited:

Dekka

Just try me..
A smaller to medium sized dog. Have to say a whippet would be great! Rescue or adopt and adult would be a great plan. Then you know what you are getting.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Well, usually apartments only allow dogs the size of papillons, whippets, pomeranians etc...
Depends on the apartment and the area. My neighbor has 2 Saint bernards in a small one bedroom apartment. Most around here though require your dog to be 35 lbs or less.

CaliTerp07

Well, usually apartments only allow dogs the size of papillons, whippets, pomeranians etc...
Mine restricts anything over 35 lbs, but the one around the corner allows 2 dogs up to a combined weight of 70 lbs. Soo...you could have a 70 lb dog, or a 50 lb and a 20 lb, or 2 10 lbs, or whatever combination you wanted.

They still restrict all the usual suspects of breeds.

It's harder to find places that will rent to large dogs, but definitely not impossible. You just have to be willing to live further outside the city, or in older buildings, or pay more for the privilege.

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
we rent with two dogs. a 32 lb and a 45lb.
but it is in a half way fallin apart 150 yr old house. out in the middle of nowhere!!!
hay fields on three sides of us!

colliewog

Collies&Terriers, Oh My!
When I lived in an apartment while in college (with my 55 & 75 lb collies), I saw many many Boxers in my complex. They were all great dogs and in wonderful shape -- the key is that they need exercise and entertainment (mental stimulation) to keep them from getting destructive.

Keep doing your research, but don't give up on the medium to large size dogs if you're dedicated to giving it what it needs!

colliewog

Collies&Terriers, Oh My!
Mine restricts anything over 35 lbs, but the one around the corner allows 2 dogs up to a combined weight of 70 lbs. Soo...you could have a 70 lb dog, or a 50 lb and a 20 lb, or 2 10 lbs, or whatever combination you wanted.

They still restrict all the usual suspects of breeds.

It's harder to find places that will rent to large dogs, but definitely not impossible. You just have to be willing to live further outside the city, or in older buildings, or pay more for the privilege.
My mother currently lives in a complex in a suburban area that allows 1 large dog and 1 small dog (or 2 small dogs, or 2 cats, etc). Basically, 1 large dog (hers is 80 lbs) and then 1 other pet. As Cali said, it's not impossible. Around here, the main thing is the 'you pay more' complexes ...

sammgirl

ACoops favorite
I think I could be of more help if I knew what you wanted in a dog.

My suggestions are to make a list of things you like and then a list of things you don't like. Then, you can find out what breed(s) would work best for you.

Then, when go get your dog, be it at the shelter or through a breeder or whatever you choose, you'll have a clear idea of what you want.

For example, here is my list:
* no floppy ears
* don't care about color
* don't care about shedding
* prefer a double coated dog
* must be intelligent and fun to train- notice I didn't say "easy" to train;)
* no giant breed dogs, but other then that am flexible
* preferably nothing with a hound odor
* nothing with a squished in face
* really little dogs

So that eliminates alot of dogs for me. I can tell you right now that labs, goldens, chihuahuas and boxers are probably dogs I wouldn't want to own. However, keeshonden, samoyeds, collies, corgis, etc are dogs I could totally see myself owning.

Yours may be:
* short haired dogs only
* prefer floppy ears
* must be active and playful
* must be potty trained or older

So for example for you, a samoyed or samoyed mix would be a nightmare, where as a smaller lab or lab mix may be perfect for you.

Everyone is different and I think you'll be a good owner. :)

tcal

thank you

thank you everyone for your responses, I just want to be able to make the right decision for the sake of me and my future dog.

As far as what I would like in a dog, I've never thought about listing them,

-A little shedding doesn't bother me but my old roommate had a norwegian elkhound and that was just to much.

-A dog that is fun to train would be a good way to describe what I'm looking for as well.

-A dog that can be trained to be off leash on hiking trails (me and my friend take his lab all the time and she loves leading the way)

-A dog that can behave at the dog park if I take the time to properly socialize them from a young age.

-One that is medium to lab size...nothing as small as a poodle or such and nothing to big.

-Color does not matter to me, but should be able to take Texas heat even though it will be living inside.

-My apartment only has restrictions on aggressive breeds of dogs which include what would normally come to mind when you think of that.

-A little barking is ok, but since I'm in an apartment constant barking wouldn't be nice for the neighbors.

Once again thank you everyone who answered my initial post and to anyone who can help me further with any suggestions.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Honestly a smaller lab mix would likely be an awesome choice for you - and they are very very common at most shelters. If you want more of an idea as far as behavior in the house and out and about, look for a good rescue that keeps dogs in foster homes so they can help find one that can match your needs perfectly. :) Who knows, you might even be able to find a cute lab/boxer. ;)

Please do look into rescuing an older dog. Boxers are EXTREMELY active. As are labs. both are great and fun to train, but do need lots of socialization early on. As for hiking either one would be great. Labs tend to shed more than boxers.

showluver

I also agree with an older or adult dog in this case.
A retired greyhound is a thought, they make great apartment dogs and are quite the couch potatoes.

Last edited:

sammgirl

ACoops favorite
From reading your post, it looks like you should eliminate any northern breed from your list.

These are dogs like huskies, malamutes, etc. These dogs shed like mad and have virtually no recall to speak of.

I would say that the breeds that have the best recall (coming to you when you call them) are probably the retrievers, and then probably the herding dogs.

I would also suggest staying away from a puppy. They've got a lot of energy and they very quickly pick up bad habits, and if you're not home to hear them barking, it's pretty hard to correct that.

My suggestion would be to keep your eyes on Petfinder Pet adoption: Want a dog or cat? Adopt a pet on Petfinder and type in your zip code, and keep watching for older puppies (like 9 months on) that fit the size and coat that you are looking for. That way, they are as big as they will ever be but still have fun puppy energy, hopfullly with out the house breaking woes.

Then you can call and inquire about personality, and see which one fits best.

I would also urge you to make your first consideration a dog that has been fostered by a family, so that way they can tell you more about the temperment.

In a shelter environment, many dogs stress out and its hard to get a sense of their true personality.

Members online