Why a well proofed stay could save your dogs life...

Kayla

Well had a small heart attack the other day. While walking Duke on the main road I tripped. While I have no idea what it was over before I knew it I was plummeting towards the ground and instinctively dropped the leash without thinking trying to break my fall. As soon as I hit the ground I looked around for Duke, who was about 8 feet away at the very edge of the road. This is a busy road, with cars everywhere. My heart stopped all I could think about was OMG he's going to run onto the road. I was still on the ground at this moment, and even though I wasnt hurt I knew if he saw anything and bolted I would be able to get up and grab his lead in time. In that same instant I screamed not angerily but just out of panic STAY. Wouldn't you know it he did I got up, got his lead brushed myself off and away we went.

None the less just another reason to proof your stays, come in a wide variety of situations, cuz ya never know.

ACooper

All right Duke! Good boy! I hope only your pride was bumped up and you are ok!

I agree, Stay is one of the most important commands to teach, 'Leave it' being right up there for us, LOL.

Orson's stay isn't perfected, but he does pretty good. He will hold his stay in front of his dinner dish for as long as I say, but his stay at the front door only lasts moments at a time before he breaks it.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I one thousand percent agree to your statement. I don't know if it does any good but EVERYTIME a car goes by i make both dogs sit. They do automatically slow down when we hear one approach because they know they are going to. I don't for one minute think that if they were out on their own they would sit when a car approached, but they will notice because they have learned to listen and that is maybe enough to save their life, i dont' know, but we do it for that reason. WE also walk down very busy streets so they will not panic when they are too close to traffic, we cross traffic together, i have given it my best, i never ever want to see my dog hit by a car as long as i live.

wishbone

Glad you're fine Kayla and Duke did great. Stay command and recall is a must practice all the time, and in any situation.

adojrts

Good job Duke!

For years I have met an very elderly man walking his dogs along one of the country roads leading into the village. The one dog clearly had some age on him/her, both dogs were usually out in front of him by a hundred feet or so.
Each time a vehicle approached each dog stopped and waited.
I always get a smile and a wave, because I slow down and move to the opposite side of the road.

To be honest, I didn't think to much about it. But has the years went by the old dog was gone and he walked his lone dog.
Next thing I see, he is walking two dogs again, both out in front, both stopping and waiting.
One of this days I really should stop and have a chat with him. At the very least compliment him on his training.

Members online

No members online now.