Quick! How do you get skunk spray out?

Kimbers

Dumb dog got sprayed in the face. She can barely stand the smell of herself, poor thing. (I have a nasty cold, so all smells are heavily muted.)
So how do you get the stink out? I have yet to find something that actually works.

Kimbers

We'll give the eyes and ears an extra wide berth, but thanks! Off to get stinky dog a bit less stinky. She can't stop sneezing right now, lol.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
one quart 3% hydrogen peroxide
1/4 cup baking soda
1 teaspoon liquid soap
(you can halve these ingredients as it only lasts for 24 hours once mixed)

Mix and apply to the dog using a cloth or spray bottle, leave on for about 5 minutes, then rinse thoroughly. Remember this contains peroxide, so spot test fabrics first! It may also cause a slight lightening of your dog's fur.

Kilter

Another trick that a friend told me was to take shredded newspaper and fill a crate with it, and then crate the dog. Change that in the morning for more fresh shredded newspaper and so on. If you use blankets it'll stink up the blankets, and if she's loose she'll likely rub her face on carpets and so on....

She did this but with straw, and then burned the straw. I did the same with cedar shavings and it did help...

Aleron

Everyone I have known has had lick with peroxide and baking soda but the big important thing is you can't get them wet before applying it. So you just put it on dry rather than like a normal bath. If you wet them down first, it is almost impossible to get the smell out.

My friend got the smell out of her PWDs using this after they rolled in a decaying skunk carcass :doh::cry::eek:

PlottMom

The Littlest Hound
^I wet rage before I deskunk her with the "skunk kit" (H2O2, baking soda, dish soap, and sodas - for us ;) ) with cold water. Let the mixture sit 10 mins, rinse with cold water, repeat. It's always worked for us.

Snark

Mutts to you
The peroxide, baking soda, dish detergent formula works pretty well, but I've also read that you shouldn't mix/put it in a closed container since the peroxide/baking soda is a volatile mixture.

I've had pretty good luck with Nature's Miracle Skunk Odor Remover and keep a bottle on hand at all times since the older boys have killed about 4 skunks this year, and I'm sure another skunk will be stupid enough to climb into the dog yard.

jenv101

Bite Club
Yeah you need something to lift the oil, which I think is why the dish soap is added. My neighbors recently had this happen to them and they used the peroxide/ baking soda/ and dawn dish soap recipe and they said it worked pretty good.

Members online