Fish.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
I got 6 neon tetras for my birthday yesterday, so I thought I'd take some current pictures of my tank, and of my fish. :)

My beautiful tank. Hood courtesy of MOTH. Thank you so much, I just realized that I still have your thank-you card on my mantle, so I need to send it. XD I appreciate it so much, it's beautiful, and really just completes my tank.

Neon

Neons schooling

Some video of the tank:

20 Gallon Long Tank - YouTube

Some video of my 3 babies. Not sure if they're guppies or danios yet:

Baby fish - YouTube

All done!

RD

Are you dead yet?
What darling little fish! Your tank looks terrific, and made me nostalgic for a minute! I haven't had a tank in sooo long.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Thanks guys!! :) It's a 20 gallon long. I have 6 neon tetras, 6 danios, and 2 guppies. I also have 3 guppy fry in the breeders net that I found hiding behind the bubble wand thingy in the back of the tank, and I couldn't leave them in there to fend for themselves so I saved them. XD They've been thriving for a while now, and are getting so big! I think in another week or two they'll be big enough to let out into the tank. I had a balloon molly (as you can see in the last picture) but she'd been struggling with a swim bladder issue for a while and finally died on Wednesday. So I'm in the market for one big-ish centerpiece fish and then I should be finished with stocking it. I'm not sure what I want though. Oh, I forgot to mention there's also a black mystery snail and some ghost shrimp in there.

RD, you should get an aquarium! I absolutely LOVE fishkeeping. I'm almost as obsessed with it as I am with dogs. :rofl1: It's so much fun, I never get sick of changing around the decor, adding cool things like bubble walls, and just WATCHING them.

I currently have this 20gal, a 3.5gal with a betta, and a 10 gal with a betta. The 10gal is my mom's tank. If it were mine I'd divide it and put my other betta in there, and use my 3.5gal for raising my guppy fry, but *shrug* it works out. I'd have a ton more tanks if my dad would let me, but he's said "no more tanks". I don't think he'll care once I have a job, though, so I'm hoping to upgrade my 20long to a 29gal since they have the same footprint, and I can use all my same equiptment for it, and put it in the same place my 20gal currently is.

Wow, that turned into a long post. :eek: Anyway, basically fish are awesome. XD

katielou

Slave to the Aussie
Fish become an obsession quickly :)

Currently I only have a old goldfish and a 15g planted tank. I am obsessed with planted tanks I can't do fake plants or little shipwreck things I love jungle tanks and the fish love them too.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
They do!

That's so cool! I'd love a planted tank. I want to turn my betta tank into a planted tank (the 3.5 gallon) and then work my way up to doing a bigger planted tank. My 20long has more of a whimsical theme, but my other two tanks are more natural looking.

Red.Apricot

I also want to add more plants to my fish tank, but I'm afraid of killing them. I'm not great with plants.

Do you know what you're going to do for your centerpiece fish?

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Maybe go for some marimo moss balls? They require minimal lighting and care. I hope to get one for my betta tank pretty soon here.

Not yet. I made a thread about it on a fish forum I'm on, and am hoping for some suggestions. I want something that gets about 5 inches (that's relatively inactive). My tank's a 20 gallon LONG instead of a 20 gallon HIGH so I have more options with what kind of fish I can get. I love fantail goldfish, but my tank isn't big enough for more than one, and I've heard they really like the company of other goldfish.

Red.Apricot

I have some floating plants already... I'll probably take the plunge soon and try 'real' plants.

Goldfish aren't tropical, they're temperate. I don't think they can be kept with guppies. :]

katielou

Slave to the Aussie
My goldfish turned 17 this year. He will attack any other fish in the tank so he is a loner.
We have marker trained him to go through a hoop, spin in a circle, push a ball.

I don't know that much about plants so I ended up finding an awesome website that sells plants and I called the guy told him my tank size, what fish I had and that I suck at keeping plants alive and he put together a pack of plants for me for like $25 (it was around 40 plants. Some bulbs) and also sent me marked up digital images for me on where to place them in the tank and which plants do best together etc.

I have been going through my phone records trying to find his number because I have no.idea what website it was and I want some more.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Apricot: Different people have different ideas as far as what temperature to keep goldfish. I've read a lot of different opinions about it. My view is very few (if any) goldfish owners actually keep a cooler on their tank for their goldfish to keep them in cold water, because like you mentioned, they're temperate water fish, not 'coldwater' as so many people say, and many 'tropical' fish can happily live in slightly cooler temperatures. I don't keep a heater on my tank, and my fish are perfectly healthy and happy. The listed temperature to keep guppies at is 66°F - 84°F. So a room-temperature tank would be an okay home for goldfish with certain tropical fish. I'm sure certain fish require warmer temperatures that wouldn't keep a goldfish happy, like a betta or something, but a betta wouldn't be a good tankmate for a goldfish anyway.

My problem is that my tank is too small to hold more than one fancy goldfish and supposedly they like company. That's also something that's debated about though. I need to do more research on that. Because when I upgrade to a 29gallon I've considered adding 1 fantail and seeing how it went. I could always return it to my LFS if it seemed unhappy or began eating my other fish. :eek: Though I'd probably feel terrible returning it, since so many people who buy them just keep them in teeny bowls. :(

Katie: That's so cool that he can do all of those things, and that he's lived so long! I think it's awesome that with the correct care, fish can live so long, and they're so much more personable than people give them credit for!

Members online

No members online now.