Rotts

Does anyone have any websites for reliable, honest, and trustworthy rott breeders? I am interested in starting to look for one and do a bit of research. I tried google,but that didn't help. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much.

R

RedyreRottweilers

What sort of dog are you looking for?

A companion?

A performance dog?

A show dog?

A dog to possibly breed in the future?

The best way to find a good breeder is to get to know "who is who" in the breed.

The best way to do this is to join some mailing lists where the "right people" hang out.

A few I would recommend (you can find these doing a search)

are:

Rottie-L
Oldest Rottweiler mailing list on the net, and one of the best for information. Strict rules about posting.

Rottweiler-L (A Yahoo list)
USA Rotts (more yahoo)
Show Rott'n (yahoo again)

There is also a very good Rottweiler bulletin board at http://www.rottweilerconnection.com

All responsible breeders of Rottweilers should be screening breeding animals for hip, elbow, heart, and eye issues.

All responsible Rottweiler breeders will sell dogs with signed contract and guarantee, and will require spay/neuter of all puppies graded as companions.

If you would like or need further info, feel free to PM me.

Well I am looking for a companion. Not only to me and my girlfriend, but for my dog now. We have done a little research on the subject. We are going for a female (less dominate). We don't really care about breeding. We don't have the time, nor the know how. We just want a companion dog and I have always wanted a rott. They are good dogs that get bad raps. We are looking now for one down the road. We are talking about a year or so from now, we just want to start gathering our information so we can make an informed buy.

bubbatd

I personally wouldn't buy through the internet. Check with the closest Rott Breed Club. They should be able to advise you about upcoming litters.

All this is so new to me I really don't know what to do. I tried looking for locals, but was unsuccessful. I live in south bend, Indiana so I know someone has to be breeding them in such a big city...well big for indiana anyway.

R

RedyreRottweilers

metalhead212 said:
Well I am looking for a companion. Not only to me and my girlfriend, but for my dog now. We have done a little research on the subject. We are going for a female (less dominate). We don't really care about breeding. We don't have the time, nor the know how. We just want a companion dog and I have always wanted a rott. They are good dogs that get bad raps. We are looking now for one down the road. We are talking about a year or so from now, we just want to start gathering our information so we can make an informed buy.
What sex is your current dog? Opposite sex pairs are almost always best if you are considering a Rottweiler. Same sex dog aggression is very common in this breed. You will avoid issues in the future by having an opposite sex pair.

Your new Rottie will be altered anyway since you are only looking for a companion, so accidental breedings would then not be a consideration.

BUBBAT, the reason I suggest joining bulletin boards and mailing lists is that is is a good way to get to "know" people, their dogs, and their philosophies over time.

METALHEAD, you are very wise to be looking for a puppy so far in advance.

Since you are looking for a companion, I would urge you to consider a rescued dog.

If you need more info or if you have any trouble finding how to join these mailing lists, let me know.

I'm on all of them and will be happy to help you if you need it.

The pup I have now is a male lab/mix. We got him from the pet refuge here in town. They take fantastic care of their animals and we love him to pieces. He is a boy, and that is why we are looking for a female. I have always wanted a pure rott, because when it comes to the stronger more pronounced breeds I don't want to take my chance getting a mix that ends up being unbalanced or something like that. I mean if i were to come across a mix or even a pure that was up for adoption I would consider it, but I would be very picky about it.

tempura tantrum

Shiba Inu Slave
Both Grammy and Red have great suggestions- I would go ahead and join those lists Red mentioned and let everyone know you're looking for a pet pup to join your family in a year. Most breeders will be only too willing to help advise you, *especially* when they know that you're doing your research.

Beyond that, I just want to re-emphasize the most important point Red brought up: don't even THINK about buying a puppy from anyone who doesn't health test. If they think CERF is a water sport, run in the opposite direction. If OFA and PennHip elicit blank stares, tell them that's all you needed to know, and walk away. This is your future baby, and you don't want to take chances. It definitely sounds like you're on the right path,though.

Another thing you may want to try is looking up some events in your area. If you would like to talk to a few breeders in person, try attending a dog show in your area. You can look up AKC conformation events by going to www.americankennelclub.org, and searching "events and awards." Watch the Rotties, and then ask handlers of dogs you like if you could speak to them about their animals at a convenient time. Most people will be only too willing to oblige (just try to do it after their ring time).

Anyone you buy from should have their dogs competing in some sort of event evaluated by a impartial party. This means conformation, Schutzhund, agility, obedience, etc. etc. And if they do more than one thing, even better! People who are "just breeding pets," have no business breeding (for every breeding of great working or show prospects, there are plenty of pet puppies born).

Good luck with your future family member! It sounds like you're off to a great start.

Members online

No members online now.