Is limiting water mean?

I have a 7 month old Springer Spaniel that I need some advise on. Charly is fully house broken and really is doing wonderfully with her training. :) She sleeps in our bedroom (tethered to the bed post so she can't wander too far). Our problem is, is that she has been getting us up every night in the middle of the night (anywhere btw. 2AM to 4AM) to go out to pee. This has been going on for about the past month. :mad: When we take her out- she really goes (no faking it). However, I know that she can hold it through the night because she used to. Some friends have suggested limiting her water at night- not allowing her to drink past, say, 7PM. Is this mean? She's often thirsty before she goes to bed and I don't want to deprive her of a basic need. Any advise would be greatly appreciated! :confused:

Giny

Sometimes a change in urinating habit can mean a health issue. I'd get her checked by the vet first make sure it isn't a medical cause to it such as a UTI.

Thanks for the suggestion, we've already thought of that though. She had an UTI when she was much younger (which took quite a while to clear up). I don't see any of the same symptoms now- such as constant licking "down there" and very frequent urination.

I don't allow Bailey to have water after his last walk at night (Between 10pm and Midnight), i never have done.
He hasn't needed to go outside during the night since i started crating him at nighttime (around 14-16 weeks old).

Giny.........Bailey has never had a UTI before, so it isn't something i am familiar with...........but wouldn't the OP's dog be urinating more often during the daytime aswell if this was the case?
Just a thought.

Giny

Tami'n'Charly said:
Thanks for the suggestion, we've already thought of that though. She had an UTI when she was much younger (which took quite a while to clear up). I don't see any of the same symptoms now- such as constant licking "down there" and very frequent urination.
Bailey+Ralph said:
Giny.........Bailey has never had a UTI before, so it isn't something i am familiar with...........but wouldn't the OP's dog be urinating more often during the daytime aswell if this was the case?
I just worry whenever I see any changes in their peeing habits. I've never had a dog with UTI though I did have a cat that had it a few times and I personally get them frequently. The symptoms are sometimes similar from one infection to the other but not always. If all is well with her health then removing water from her a couple of hours before bed would be ok, but I'd would worry about removing water if something is wrong with her health wise. Especially when it comes to her urinary system.

However, I know that she can hold it through the night because she used to. Some friends have suggested limiting her water at night- not allowing her to drink past, say, 7PM. Is this mean? She's often thirsty before she goes to bed and I don't want to deprive her of a basic need. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

My dog (who is 7 years old, so she's probably a bit more able to hold it) has access to water all day and evening, but she gets a last outing around 11-midnight, and then the water is taken away before she comes back in. I've tried leaving water for her all night, because I'd always heard they need fresh cool water all the time, but when it's there while we're sleeping, she's much more likely to er, misbehave at night. I think that encouraging her to be solidly housebroken is more important than her missing a few hours of water each night. Just be sure to give her water first thing in the morning.

Roxy's CD

I know all dogs are different, but I never take my dogs water away. Hades will be a year old in August, his last outing is around 11pm, he holds it all night, and usually doesn't go out until around 9 or even later if he doesn't want to get up, he sleeps in a lot. Sometimes, his last outing his later, (we stay up late here) but he hasnt' had a night time accident, in months and months

Limiting water is not cruel, 7pm may be a bit early though, maybe 9?

I limit my childs water intake after a certain time. So I don't see the harm in it for a dog. After all we strive to treat our dogs the same as family right...

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
It's not mean.

Lucy doesn't get water after 8:30 or 9, usually because at that time she's already asleep for the night, lol. Her last time outside is between 10 and 10:30. I have never needed to take her out in the middle of the night...maybe that's mean, I don't know, but she's crated at night and never wakes up and whines, sooo...

My pooch's water dish is put away at about 10:00 at night. On the off chance that he's extra active and seems thirsty, I give him an ice-cube to chew on/lick. Not enough water that he'll be peeing all night, but enough that I dont feel like Im dehyrdrating the poor bugger. :)

Members online