Would you eat Cuy (Guinea Pig)?

Would you eat Cuy (Guinea Pig)?

• Yes, I'd eat it. BRING ON THE CUY!

Votes: 21 29.6%
  • I'd try a bite if someone else ordered it.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • No, I could never eat a guinea pig! They're pets!

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • No, I couldn't eat a guinea pig because the idea grosses me out

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • I don't eat meat

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • I've had cuy before

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Chicken Pot Pie

Votes: 3 4.2%

• Total voters

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
A delicacy in Peru is cuy (guinea pig) meat. They're called cuy for the sounds they make ("cuy cuy") :eek: Cuy was a staple of the traditional Inca diet.

It's generally cooked and served with the head still attached. Restaurants will cut it up for you, though.

So... would you eat it?

I plan on trying it when I'm there, but it's hard to wrap my head around the idea of eating a "pet" animal :p

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Probably not, for the same reason that I generally don't eat pork - I've come to know both types of animals as individuals, which makes it hard to eat them.

Lyzelle

I don't have an aversion to strange food, usually. If I did, cuy definitely wouldn't be the worst thing on the list to try, so why not? :p

BostonBanker

I don't think I would try it, but mostly because I'm not a very adventurous eater. Any info on what the meat is like?

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
I had guinea pigs for a long time (and adored them) and I still think I'd try it, LOL. Is that messed up? :eek:

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
I don't think I would try it, but mostly because I'm not a very adventurous eater. Any info on what the meat is like?
It's supposed to taste like rabbit meat. It's greasy and has a stringy texture.

I'm an adventurous eater for the most part. I'd never be able to bring myself to eat dog or anything like that, though.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
It's greasy and has a stringy texture.
Well that makes it sound even less appetizing LOL.

I'm trying to figure out how much meat you would even get out of a guinea pig...

I'm not very adventurous with my different meat options, I'm pretty limited to what I like anyway. I like chicken and I like pork. So I wouldn't try it just because I anticipate I wouldn't like it (especially given that description!)

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Well that makes it sound even less appetizing LOL.

I'm trying to figure out how much meat you would even get out of a guinea pig...

I'm not very adventurous with my different meat options, I'm pretty limited to what I like anyway. I like chicken and I like pork. So I wouldn't try it just because I anticipate I wouldn't like it (especially given that description!)
At least I'm not trying to sell it. LOL. It's supposed to be greasy, like rabbit or duck. And the meat has a stringy texture, but it's supposed to be tender.

I'm imagining that each prepared/cooked cuy weighs 1lb or so- they generally serve 1 per person.

I don't remember it being all that strange. We ate it a couple times and nothing really stood out. Our food was always good, we had it a couple times on our hike. I was so tired and hungry though they could have served anything and I would have devoured it so maybe I'm not the best critic :)

GipsyQueen

I don't eat meat - however I wouldn't try it even if I did :p

I loved my guineapig as a kid. Same thing with rabbit. I have a bunny at home... I couldn't eat one.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
GP in Peru are bigger than the average pet I think...
I was imagining it might be, and then I was totally picturing an ROUS guinea pig.

I tried goose once when a friend took me to a really fancy restaurant. It wasn't anything special (although by the price they charged you would think so.) I honestly would have rather had chicken LOL.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
GP in Peru are bigger than the average pet I think...
I looked into it a while ago after the guinea-pigs-as-dog-food conversation here and yeah in the 70s Peruvian researchers bred bigger, faster-growing guinea pigs to help offset food shortages. They approximately tripled their starting size but I can't remember how big their final animals were.

Even 3x your biggest pet guinea pigs isn't quite an ROUS yet...might have to get into capybaras for that ;)

I was imagining it might be, and then I was totally picturing an ROUS guinea pig.

I think ROUS whenever I see a Capybara :)

I would likely not try it because I am very picky with food, but not for any ethical reason (unless I KNEW they were really mistreated before slaughter, same reasons I avoid factory farmed meats as much as I can).

I have chickens, consider them pets. While I dont eat MY chickens, yep, we eat a lot of chicken;)

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I had guinea pigs for a long time (and adored them) and I still think I'd try it, LOL. Is that messed up? :eek:
I hope not. I've had a lot of animals and I'd try just about anything once. Like, if I went to a country where it was served regularly I would absolutely try things like horse and dog, despite having owned both of those animals as well.

Even at work I have to handle dead feeder rats, and that doesn't bother me at all despite the fact that I own rats.

I'm very good at separating my OWN animals from meat on a plate.

BostonBanker

It's greasy and has a stringy texture.
Well shoot, sign me right up!

Ew. The picture didn't help. Like I said, I'm not very adventurous. I could pretty much live on chicken for the rest of my life.

Members online

No members online now.