canned food

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
I have a question about canned food. I have been mixing it in with my dog's food since I have gotten them. I use Chicken soup for the puppy lover's soul and will sometimes get Eagle Pack and Innova (but for some reason my dogs really prefer the chicken soup canned). Well I've noticed that Maverick (and at times Hannah) have runny poop. It's not watery just not very solid. Could this be caused by them getting canned food? If it is should I cut down on the canned food in their diet (giving it to them every other meal instead of every meal) or cut it out completely? They are both on Eagle Pack, could maybe their food be the cause of their problems? It doesn't get any better if I switch from one canned food to another it is still the same. They have been to the vet about this and the vet said there is nothing medically wrong with them.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
if you have been feeding both canned and dry, have you observed the runny poop occurring in a particular pattern?

wet food is overall easier to digest and healthier for dogs to eat than dry food, so the cause could be the canned food or something else.

one of the main causes for loose stools without an underlying medical problem is overfeeding. could it be that the affected dogs get a little more food than they actually need?

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
they might be over fed. I just give them as much as they will eat in 10 minutes 2 times a day. (Maverick gets about 2 cups and Hannah gets 3). I don't really notice a pattern and one canned food doesn't seem to make it worse than the others. I have tried cutting down on canned food these past two days to see if there is a change.

Fran27

Watch out though, if I gave Tips all he could eat for 10 minutes, he would eat at least 3 times the recommended dose. It's not good for them, and it's not good for your bank account either.

Not too long ago my husband never told me he fed the dogs, so I did. I would never have guessed they had already been fed if he hadn't told me one hour later, because they both jumped on their food as if they hadn't eaten for two days.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
My husband never feeds the dogs so that is no problem (I don't think he knows how). They actually seem fairly skinny, but the vet says they are at a good weight though.

Members online