red eye

I've just noticed that the eye of my 8 month old pug, Coco, is red. it's only visible when he looks to the side.

I was wondering how worried I should be about this, and what might have been the cause, and what this is, and what I should do about it.

Thanks in advance.

X

xxxpoo

It could mean many things.... it could be the same as us humans getting "pink eye" or Conjunctivitis, which is normally caused by bacteria or some type of virus.

Does he/she have any swelling or discharge?

X

xxxpoo

How long have you noticed it? Does it appear to be bother Coco?

If Coco's doesn't appear to be bothered by it (not blinking more than usual, trying to keep it closed, always rubbing it, no discharge, or anything else) she probably is fine...... If you're worried, I would double check with your Vet.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
xxxpoo is right, it could be many things. However, when my Aussie's eye started getting red like that, it was only a matter of time before a yellow-green discharge started appearing. It's easily fixed by applying an ointment from the vet 3x a day for a week.

My other dog though, her eyes get red when she's stressed out about something. Allergies, slight irriation; they all could be reasons.

Coco appears to be normal, just as usual. I'm just not sure about going to the vet, because we just went to the vet a few weeks ago, and he charges us for every visit. I first noticed the red eye yesterday.

I tried taking some pictures of it, but Coco wouldn't sit still, so these are the best I was able to get.

at one point while we were outside, Coco was pulling on my coat. and when he pulls on something, and is trying very hard to rip it off, his eyes sort of pop out, so I took my chance to examine it. it looked like reddish brownish, and looked kinda spread out. stupid way of describing it, but I don't know how else to put it into words.

X

xxxpoo

Pugs are prone to certain eye conditions due to it's size. It seems the eye looks irritated.. probably due to hair rubbing the surface of the eye. I would definately get a second opinion from your Vet.

Members online

No members online now.