hoping it's not cancer

Miakoda

My grandma and mom were both fairly you g when they had their melanomas. My mom told me tonight that she's had two of them.

I'm also blonde hair with green eyes and fair skinned in the winter, but I tan like crazy. I attribute my non-burning, great-tanning ability to my Cherokee heritage, which ironically is my Mom's side of the family.

Doberluv

Wow Mia....that's interesting about your skin type. It sure could be that Cherokee heritage. I was told I might have a very small amount....like one person worth of Susquahanna (sp?) Indian in me from PA. My Dad's side. But that's just a maybe. And one person worth of Spanish. (my mom's relative...a man named Costello who was on the Spanish Armada when it crashed off the coast of Ireland. Those few survivors mixed with the Irish and that's where the "black Irish" are derived. So, with my Irish part of my heritage, there may be some Spanish. But I don't think it's what makes my skin on the dark side. It's so little. I think the German, of which I'm half, seems to be what makes my skin so olive. The other half is split between Irish, Scottish, English (and one Spaniard) lol. But I'm confused about that because the part of Germany where my ancestors are from is the part where they tend to be blond. (Prussia) But my Dad is virtually all German and that's where his people come from...way back though. It's interesting what kinds of people, what kinds of mixes might bring about all these various characteristics.

It's interesting....more rare, but African Americans can even get skin cancer. So, I guess people with dark skin should still be very careful in the sun.

Members online