i just had the worst walk ever!!

darcy was reluctant to walk out on his lead so i though id take him and the two girls to the beach to let him have a run.
we have to cross a road and someone on the beach side was kicking a ball which made the girls get a bit excited, bear in mind i had darcy, holly bo and my 2 year old the next minute bo slipped her collar and was off like a shot, i swear my heart was in my throat.
she ran under a moving car and i shut my eyes, i was screaming for her then she realised where she was and tried to run back, she was running across the road to me and a car going about 40 miles per hour came and bo went under. i cant even say this out loud. she was ok luckily again she had only went under(thank god for small dogs) and off she went again, she was completely ignoring me which she doesnt ever do and i looked like an idiot trying to get her back, hold holly and darcy and the next second ellie got upset by it all and started screaming and wanting me to pick her up.

i got across the road and put her collar back on this time i tightened it and the next minute she slipped it again and went out onto the same road. im really upset by it all as bo is usually so well behaved. she ignored me and put herself in so much danger. i gave up, picked up ellie in one arm, darcy in the other and went home for a good cry

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
OMG..that was too close. Bet you were shaking inside! Poor pup too! Did your dog realize what happened? if they get rolled once..they tend to LOOK everytime after that. Our cat was rolled and boy he didn't cross that street when a car was anywhere in site after that.. that is just awful...yours. and hammie, Maverick and well gosh all your dogs are being onery! It just has to be spring fever, too many to be a coincidence. everybody do a snout to nose before we have a tragedy.

Purr

~3 Mutts~
OMG! I'm soooo sorry you had to go through that! I can't even imagine what that felt like....Maybe she'd be better off in a harness.

Purr

~3 Mutts~
Smkie, you're right!!! Beethoven took off on me the other night! I couldn't believe he came when I called him.

Doberluv

HOLY ****! That would have given me a stroke! I think you probably should beef up the obedience training more before going there again and still.....do something about that collar. Maybe a harness? She'd have a hard time slipping out of that. Are you strong enough to use one? That just goes to show that even a normally, pretty well trained dog can come unglued at certain distractions. I'm sure glad she's OK.

OMG... I've had nightmares where I see my dog run out in the road with a car coming and the feeling is just HORRIBLE! I can't imagine actually witnessing it! Bad dog! Bad dog! Poor Mommy! I am SO GLAD it turned out OK, THOUGH!! :eek:

Doberluv

Good heavens. Talk about a slow poster. When I started this, there were no other replies. LOL. Purr. You already mentioned a harness too! LOL.

the reason i have her in the collar is that she cant stand a harness, i even had a halti before but she hated it, plus my obediance class said she should only be in a collar.
she's in the bad books right now and boy does she know it. you know when a kid does it and the parent is shouting on one hand but cuddling on the other, thats what i was like with bo. the good news is that mr darcy walked great!

Obedience class be d***ed! I'd have her in a regular halter - not a Halti or anything "special," just a standard halter that fits around th chest and shoulders with a cross-piece every single time she walked out of the house! Terriers are very single minded when they see something that they think needs chasing or closer inspection! Part of the reason she probably resists a halter so much is because she can't slip it and she knows she can get out of her collar anytime she wants.

bogolove

OMG! I would have been so upset too. I am SO glad everything is ok, though. Put her in a halter, even if she doesn't like it, it will keep her from pulling those dangerous stunts. I am SO SO glad everything is ok.

One more thing, too. Bo's been successful at crossing the road and running under cars now, so she's going to think she can always do it and she's going to get cockier about it. Get that pup in a halter so she can't slip it! :eek:

Martine

Trained by an Airedale
Thank goodness everything was okay - that is my worst nightmare. I can imagine how you felt, when we first had Misha she ran away from Bill and across a road, I was away at the time and even second hand it made me feel so, so sick. She was off the lead, she didn't slip off, but we can't let her off in that place anymore, for that reason that Renee mentioned, she did it once, I'm sure she thinks she could do it again. I'm really glad she was okay and good luck with using a halter.

Purr

~3 Mutts~
Yup, even if she doesn't like the harness, at least she'll be safe. Wearing a harness is much, much better than being hurt. Why did your obedience class say she should only wear a collar?

Purr

~3 Mutts~
LOL Bassetlover, I just read your post (I type soooo slow). I'm glad she's got a harness now, so she can't get hurt! What color did you pick? LOL!

gapeach

Big Mutts
So glad she is safe. It's so scary. We took Carey to a swap meet once and she slipped her collar (b/c some guy swung his arm back towards her :mad: , although I'm not sure it was intentional) I was so scared she might take off, big place. But she just rolled over on her back b/c she knew she'd done something naughty! Thank goodness. I can't even imagine your ordeal!

Members online

No members online now.