Marrkech Photos - rather a lot - and a summary!

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Number one thing to know about Marrakech - it's mental.

Our taxi ride to the riad was the first eye opener, seeing 3 and 4 people all riding along on the same moped, donkeys and carts in the road and no apparent awareness of any kind of highway code..... Cars EVERYWHERE and horns blasting. I wouldn't suggest driving through there.

Our riad was right in the medina (old town) and it was a bit of a shock dragging our luggage to it (the streets there are too small for the big taxi). There are people (men) EVERYWHERE. Mopeds and donkey's whizzing by (if donkey's could whizz).

The next morning was our 1st proper day and we must have looked like walking pound signs. Boggle eyed and lost :D Every 2 steps you are accosted by people wanting to guide you (for money), take you to their shop (for money), take your picture (for money), begging (for money), sell you weed (hey, you want some good sh*t), or asking where you're from (so they could lure you in and sell you something). Was amazing though. The people are SO interesting. There is a level of poverty there I haven't seen before, and made me re-evaluate a LOT about my own country. They're not soft though, and I reckon they make a killing off the wide-eyed new tourists!!!!

I'm not going to go into too much, because I am too lazy :p but basically it was an experience, I got a shock (literally.. off a plug), got dehli belly and spent a day in bed (still not right in the gut department...), went in a hammam (traditional spa) - THAT was an experience not for the body concious - in nothing but my pants while a local lady rubs the traditional black soap all over you... and went into the mountains in the snow and rain :D

If I did it again I would definitely take more time, hire a car and travel round more. I loved the mountains, and wanted to see more little villages and things, but we didn't have the time.

Anyway, some pics!

The airport

Inside the riad on the 1st night

Spot the bike....

Our 1st mint tea... I don't drink hot drinks, but YUMMMMMY

Dude with a spiky guitar

Hoss

Last edited:

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Chicken man... a car pullled up with bags and bags of live chickens. This guy took a batch and sped off.

The mosque. The calls for prayer come 4 times a day - 1st ones at 5am. Every morning. LOUD.

Exploring the streets. There are HUNDREDS of cats. They love their cats. They are everywhere.

Some tombs in one of the palaces

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.

Spices

Tajine!

Brochettes

The view

I still haven't worked out why they had tortoises in front of the chemists..........

City storks!

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Exploring the souks

Our GIANT bed.

The square at night....

All this cost TEN QUID (that's very cheap).

more...

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
We stopped at some Aragon Oil place thing... When we weren't looking they were on their mobiles LOL

Sad doggy

On to the sea

Lady got in the way but I like it..

More... Said there was a lot...

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Last photo!! Me in my hat knitted by old toothless ladies in the Atlas Mountains! I love it.

THE END. If you looked though all them you're very patient!!!!!!!!!!

Dekka

Just try me..
Great pics! What a fantastic looking adventure. Did you find people who spoke english, did you have a guide or are you multiliguistic?

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.

There was so much more I wanted to photograph, but really didn't have time. The villages are amazing. I found the whole experience like going back in time. People live a totally different way of life.

I avoided pictures of the animals in the square as I found it very cruel (monkeys and snakes) and they get money from tourists taking pictures and I didn't want to fuel the trade.

Also if you take money of people and their things you are expected to give them money and I really didn't have enough change LOL

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Great pics! What a fantastic looking adventure. Did you find people who spoke english, did you have a guide or are you multiliguistic?
Most of the people in Marrakech speak english or mainly french. We just got lost in the souks and found our way out.

There were some amazing sights. The guy sitting there gutting fish to sell, just on the floor, in the heat.... Vom. I could have probably spent a week just taking pictures, but I wouldn't have left more than a few square feet!!!

Wetted my taste buds for more travelling.....

Zoom

Twin 2.0
That looks like an amazing place to visit! What's the food like? Indianish? More Mediterranean type?

I'm really glad you had a camera on you as well!

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
That looks like an amazing place to visit! What's the food like? Indianish? More Mediterranean type?

I'm really glad you had a camera on you as well!
It's pretty much Moroccan! LOL!

They like meat. And couscous. And lots of sweet with savoury - which normally I can't stand, but they do it quite well. For instance, they make a 'pastilla' which is like an English pasty... Sort of. It's sweetish pastry and in the middle is meat and almonds. It's odd, but nice. And they cook a lot of kebabs and mainly tajines! I ate a lot of tajines. A lot of aubergine, which was scrummy. It's not spicy food, but uses a lot of spices.

Jules

Magic, motherf@%$*#!
Oi, I looooove Maroccan food! Yum. I went yeeeears ago and I would love to go back!

You take gorgeous pictures!!

Members online

No members online now.