im tired and need help really bad!!

ok this sunday i just got a puppy (my first). she is 3 and 1/2 months old. well i can never get it to sleep by herself. it has to be somewhere where she can see me. if shes ever alone then she whines and cries. i tried leaving her in a room by herself one night and she was crying extremely loud. i tried to ignore it and fell asleep. around very early morning i woke up and heard her still barking and crying. she didnt sleep all night! and when im gone to school (weekdays 6 am to 3 pm) she cries at home all night. she hates her crate. its the worst thing to her. when i put her in there she cries terribly. ive left toys and everything for her. i tried all the tricks i can think of: t-shirt, ticking clock, etc. i just let her roam the house, because i dont have a room for her to stay in, except the garage. should i leave it in the garage for many hours during the day? i need alot of help. i cant sleep all night. i have responsibility over her. i sleep in all of my classes because i dont get enough sleep at home, due to comforting it at night. while i am in class i think about her all day. im wondering, is she crying? is she using the bathroom on the carpet? (its not housebroken yet, i cant seem to potty train her :( )when she cries, i cry.
well i have another problem with her. she constantly bites my hands and arms. it starts as playful nibbles but when i try to tug my hand away it bites harder and starts growling. then now it shakes my hand and chews it like a rope. you know that thing when dogs got a hold of something in its mouth and then it violently shakes its head left to right? well thats what roxy was doing to my hand. it hurts. i have big scars all around my hand and arm now. what can i do? how can i train it to be obedient and stop biting? please help.

The garage may be your best bet during the day, just make sure you've puppy proofed it; no chemicals, solvents, poisons, etc. where she can get to them, power cords concealed and unplugged wherever possible, sharp tools out of her reach, that sort of thing. My parents actually set up a "corral" in a corner of their garage for their dog to stay in when they were gone. It worked very well; newspapers in one corner for "bathroom" and his bed in the opposite corner.

Potty training is more difficult when there is no one with the dog during the day, so you'll have to concentrate on it when you're home. Be sure to walk her before you leave for school, and the first thing when you come home. Restrict food and water in the evening and take her out before bed.

Some people are opposed to letting a dog sleep in the room with them, but I wouldn't know what to do if mine didn't want to be there, so I'm all in favor of putting a bed for the dog in the room and letting her sleep there at night, especially since you're at school all day.

As far as the rough play goes, get a rope toy in the appropriate size, or you can use an old sock with a tennis ball in the toe and a knot halfway up and when she starts grabbing at your hand, stick that in her mouth and teach her to play with it. The shaking is a hunting behaviour that puppies - and grown dogs - indulge in as part of play. It doesn't sound like you're having dominance problems, just puppy play. And those sharp puppy teeth hurt!

What kind of dog is Roxy? I'm kind of surprised that a three and a half month old puppy isn't at least partly potty trained before you ever got her.

well i just got her sunday and she is 3/4 maltese and 1/4 shih tzu. she only stands 8 1/2 inches tall when on all four. she is really small so can i just let her run around the house instead of bringing her out for walks? i thougth that she was too small to have walks, just runs in the house. and ive tried the tennis ball stuff but it was really big for her and she opened her mouth as big and wide as possible and got a hold of the ball in her mouth and then it was stuck. she couldnt open her mouth any wider to let the ball fall out of her mouth, and the little furs on the tennis ball were stuck on her teeth. i had to carefully take it out. but the thing is i cant leave her in the garage alone because she gets scared and bored and she cries the whollle time. my dad is home at the time when im at school but he sleeps the whole time and he wakes up at 1 to go to work and i get home at 3 and i know that those 2 hours she cries and scratches the door. but at night im supposed to keep it in the garage but i just keep it in her bed right next to mine. i cant have her sleep on my bed but i found out as long as she can see me and know that im there then she is fine. so i put the bed on teh floor where she can see me sleeping and that seems to be working perfectly. but right now my problem is her peeing and pooping around the house and PAINFUL biting and her barking and crying when she is alone at home. this weekend i might try to go to petsmart and see what to get her to occupy her while at home. what do you suggest? if i cant get it to be good by thanksgiving then my aunt and cousin is coming down from CT to pick her up and take her home. they have experience with dogs (they had about 5 already) and if they do then i am going to have an everlasting sorrow life. she is so cute and i love her to death. but if she doesnt get good then i will agree to let them take over i have to do it b/c i want what is best for her. :( :( please help

Sometimes the little ones are a lot harder to housetrain than their bigger cousins. As small as she is, though, you should be able to put her in a puppy-proofed bathroom or laundry room while you're gone. If you've got a laundry room I'd suggest that, since even a little dog's bark gets amplified by a bathtub. If you use the bathroom, make sure you close the shower doors to cut down on the sound.

There are litter boxes for dogs that you can train her to use. You might check that out as a possibility.

Since she's so small, you'll need to find toys to fit her; puzzle balls are great to keep them occupied, and you can get Kong toys for the little ones, too. Stuff it with peanut butter and freeze it and it'll keep her busy for hours. Orbee makes toys for the little dogs, too. You can check out their stuff at www.planetdog.com.

Get a copy of the Monks of New Skete training book or one of the books that Serena has talked about in several of her posts and do some reading. Not only will it help you train your puppy; it will also show your parents that you're serious and making a real effort to be responsible and learn something.

bogolove

I know you said she hates her crate, but if you do tolerate the whining for a bit, she will get used to it. you can't let her out every time she starts crying or she will know all she has to do is cry, and you will let her out. I crate trained Brady, and he hated it at first, but I did not give in to the crying and now he loves it, it is his safety zone. he goes in there on his own to sleep now every night. You have to make it a positive experience though. Put something like an old t-shirt or a towel in there that smells like you. You can put a ticking clock out side the crate and it imitates the heartbeat of the puppy's mother. I still to this day give Brady a treat and a toy to take into the crate with him as a positive reinforcement. No one said it was easy, it is a lot of work to train them, but it is worth it. It took Brady a few weeks before he got used to it, so just to let you know, your first month with your puppy can be your hardest transition and your most sleepless time. It can be comparabnle to having a new baby. Puppies are only babies after all and need a lot of attention and supervision. i do recommend you stick with the crate training because she will get used to it. Just leave her in there for short periods of time at first. Try 30 minutes and DON'T let her out until that time is up even if she cries. Go into another room. I have Brady's crate downstairs in the kitchen so whne we went to bed at night we could not hear the crying when he was a puppy. He soon realized that the crying would not get him out any sooner. Then go up in time and eventually she will like it in there and you can leave the door open and she will go in and out as she pleases.

Members online

No members online now.