Activity for an older dog and grieving.

hbwright

I'm a new poster but I've posted pictures of Summer my 12-year-old dog. From best I can tell she is possibly part german shephard, golden and possibly part chow. She has never been an extremely active dog but since she lost her playmate almost 3 weeks ago the only exercise she gets is walks throughout the day. She has not been eating her dry food only so I've started mixing in a can of wet food to entice her and I mix in Rescue remedy to help her with her depression. She also is not a treat dog. I try to give her biscuits throughout the day to help her teeth and she takes them about 40% of the time when offered.

Her initial confusion seems to be improving. She didn't feel comfortable anywhere for the first couple weeks after Cleo died. Where she used to love her backyard and get excited to go and run and play she seems to hate it now. She has only gone out back 4 times since Cleo's death and even then she sits by the backdoor wanting to come in. She only wants to use the bathroom on the leash which is total opposite of previously when she would not go on the leash (only small bits to do her markings) and wait to totally relieve herself in the backyard on return from walks.

She has a favorite place in our heated garage that she would always spend the night. I have always kept the dogs seperated from the cats in the evening when I can't be there to supervise. Never any incidents in 12 years but not willing to risk one now. She is welcome to sleep in our bedroom but has only opted to do this once. Now it seems she is always asking to go into the garage or laying right by the door to the garage in the laundry room and sometimes she is fine out there and doesn't want to come back in and sometimes she'll howl to come in. She doesn't seem to want to be a part of the family. She spends very little time with us but seems to enjoy the time that she does. She still loves going for her walks but now seems winded by the end of them when we usually do our little sprints back to the house. She actually spends most all her time either by the garage door or on the couch where she seems comfortable but won't really fall asleep.

Up until Cleo's death Summer has wrestled and ran around active at least three times a day. Cleo was the one who usually instigated playtime and playtime with the family Summer would usually enjoy for a few minutes at a time between independant time. So, I just don't think she considers us as playmates even despite our efforts throughout her lifetime. Basically dogs are for playing and humans are for love and food. I've been trying to get her more playful like she was just 3 weeks ago but don't want to confuse her more by playing like a dog when I'm not a dog. She knows the difference. My husband has always been a little more frisky playful with them so while he is home for the weekend he is going to try to get her into a playful mood and see if she'll wrestle with him a little bit.

My concern is that such a dramatic decline in activity will deteriorate her health. I've picked up her walking drastically by walking her outside for bathroom time for about 5 minutes each about 3 times a day and then taking 3 longer walks for exercise where I walk her around the neighborhood, about a mile all the way around and trying a sprint during sometime in the walk, usually towards the end before we make it home and then walk the rest of the way. I'd say the whole trip takes us maybe 20 minutes and we do this at least once a day with shorter walks twice a day.

I don't want to confuse Summer anymore then she already is and I do see an improvement in her grieving. I'm just having a hard time deciding what is the right "new normal" for us and if I'm doing enough, too much, etc.

With regards to the back yard. I'd love to be able to use it every now and then. I love Summer very much and I enjoy my time with her outside but to be realistic I do have 3 kids, two to get ready for school in the morning and another 4-year-old son who is facing fear issues since the death of Cleopatra who won't leave my side for a seconds time. It would be nice to be able to put her out back in our fenced in back yard that she has always loved up until it became the "yard of death". When I do put her out there and keep her out for a few minutes she finds a place to lay down but as soon as she sees activity in the house she is crying at the back door. If she sees us the whole time after putting her back there she just sits at the door with her big, brown, sad eyes like she's asking why I'm making her go back here. This was always her happy place and now she hates being back there. Now she doesn't want to go out there to go potty. Do I keep her back there for longer periods of time on a daily basis to get her used to this again?

I'm sorry y'all. I'm confused as much as she is and just don't know what is right. I've talked to a dog behavior trainer and he says I'm doing fine but I'm just having a hard time with my new reality and afraid to do something wrong with Summer. I've seen her age at least 5 years in the last few weeks and that is scaring me. I'm trying not to let her see my stress and be as upbeat and happy as always but I think she is smarter then that. Please help us.

bubbatd

At this point , I'd suggest getting a second dog . Petfinder or HS. Summer needs to have another pal and it will help you and your family when it's her time to go .Aging dogs are so sad ! Mine always seemed to perk up with new blood in the family .

Members online

No members online now.