Herding photos

R

RedyreRottweilers

We had an absolute blast, she progressed rapidly, but I was unable to get any photos of her in the square pen on the sheep.

We will be going to another 2 day clinic Nov. 4 and 5, so more photos then.

We sure all had a GREAT time.

sam

I LOVE herding!!!
We're very much rookies still but we're going for another lesson in November.:D
I'm curious what the purpose is of keeping the dog on the other side of a fence from the stock she's supposed to be herding? How do they learn from that ? What do you ask the dog to do from the other side? How/when do they progress to being in the pen with the stock ?
In the clinic I went to we started out in a small, square arena with 6 "dog broke" sheep eventaully we were in a pasture with 6 sheep.

I would love to get in on a herding clinic, but the only ones here are run by the Border Collie association and they not only don't welcome my dogs, they won't even part with any training information :(

R

RedyreRottweilers

sam, the way it was explained to me is that it allows the dog to gain balance and learn to move the stock, and begin to learn to stand, and change direction, with little or no correction from the handler or instructor. Most dogs change direction as you change the direction of the stock in the inner round pen.

It helps teach the dog some basic control commands before they are released on the stock.

We went in the afternoon to a square pen where she was worked on a line with some broke sheep.

:D

Doberluv

Very nice pictures. I see the logic there Redyre. Not so overwhelmed with things to think about for the dog. She is prevented from making mistakes "on" the sheep so therefore is not reinforced for a boo boo. She'll get use to them this way and then it will be more "old hat" when she is together with them. That's my guess anyhow. She looks really into it. I bet she'll be a great herder. You look good too!

sam

sam, the way it was explained to me is that it allows the dog to gain balance and learn to move the stock, and begin to learn to stand, and change direction, with little or no correction from the handler or instructor. Most dogs change direction as you change the direction of the stock in the inner round pen.

It helps teach the dog some basic control commands before they are released on the stock.

We went in the afternoon to a square pen where she was worked on a line with some broke sheep.

:D
so the little goats did move in response to the dog even though she was on the other side? I think I get it :p Boy I wish I could have been there to watch it :popcorn:

Our herding guy had us just walk out into the arena, the dogs instinctively brought us the sheep (which startled the heck out of me:yikes: I knew the dogs instinctively gathered the sheep in a bunch. I wasn't prepared for how quickly 6 big woolly beats would be running full tilt towards me LOL)
Then the dogs learned to balance the sheep by the handler backing up until our backs hit the wall and we just stayed still and the dogs just worked, keeping the sheep there-- very neat and I got a chance to touch the sheep and see what their faces felt like etc. Luckily they were lovely, friendly sheep heh heh

Renee- I hear you about the border collie association. The guy we go to is a bc person but is really good about training other herding breeds as well. At our clinic we had belgians, aussies, bc's, a sheltie and rotties. I hate discrimination!

Doberluv

Sam! That sounds soooo cool! What marvelous dogs. You must really have fun with that.

Renee...that sounds awful. I can't believe some of these people who call themselves "dog lovers." Unbelieveable!

RD

Are you dead yet?
Good girl, Penny! That's an interesting way to go, I see the logic behind it.

BC people are so stuck-up. :( Most are even brisk and harsh with other BCs if they aren't bred to their standards. Why does it matter if it's just for fun?

Jynx

great shots! Are those pygmy goats???They are my "fav"!! so darned cute!

Rebekah best get on your "gripping" shoes when ya head in with those BIG butted sheep!!! I've almost been taken out by a few of those beasts! I got more beat up than the sheep/dog did!

Lots of fun, but I am a lousy handler when it comes to herding, good thing the dogs have better instinct than I..
Diane

P

Purdue#1

great pics! Looks cool. I'm going to work on my aussie with herding. He needs a job. speaking on the getting mauled by sheep thing, By the time my friend and i get done showing pigs, we have bruises and scares where we have fought and struggled to get them to go the way we want.I think at one time or another we have ha a 250-300 lb. pig crash into us. we've been pushed up against metal pens, used our whole weight to turn the pig, which caused the bruising on our chins,had our toes stepped on, and had our eardrums busted from the pig squealing. I'm still trying to figur out why we keep doing it year after year. It's the love of the show ring, i guess.

:eek: Man, i've gotta stop rambling.

awesome! hehe, a rottie herding. :) Unusal, but thats awesome! :D Goodluck with her herding career! :D Gorgeous doggie. :)

Members online