I want to adopt :(

Dunno about that. All horses are domesticated animals. Those living 'wild' are feral, essentially strays. It's very romantic, but they're basically just better equipped to survive without owners than are dogs or cats, and cause less trouble, so they've slipped through the cracks where, say, packs of Great Danes would not. It's interesting though - I was reading something about the PMU foals, who aren't wild horses but live somewhat similarly and they said that the foals were in many ways much easier to deal with than traditionally raised horses, since growing up with the herd gave them additional social skills with other horses.

Dunno about that. All horses are domesticated animals. Those living 'wild' are feral, essentially strays. It's very romantic, but they're basically just better equipped to survive without owners than are dogs or cats, and cause less trouble, so they've slipped through the cracks where, say, packs of Great Danes would not. It's interesting though - I was reading something about the PMU foals, who aren't wild horses but live somewhat similarly and they said that the foals were in many ways much easier to deal with than traditionally raised horses, since growing up with the herd gave them additional social skills with other horses.

darkchild.., he is pretty. What I know about horse anatomy could fit into a thimble, but he's got a nice shoulder.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
Personally I (usually) don't agree with capturing animals either. Usually when "wild" animals are just left to nature they don't overpopulate, especially wild horses. It's survival of the fittest with them.
That colt *is* GORGEOUS though.

Muggie'sMum

Mistress Wigglebutt
Ahhh... but why were they captured in the first place? Overpopulation or something maybe? I know I know.. I'm so uninformed :rolleyes: :p
To keep the population down, they round them up and auction them off or get people to "adopt" them. The ones that don't get adopted end up living the rest of their lives in feedlots.

I don't agree with it, at all, personally.

I would be all for sponsoring a horse so that it could stay on the free land but I would never want to bring a horse that was not previously domestic, off of the land and try and make it live in a barn and wear a halter.

darkchild16

We are Home.
they were born in captivity. but their mothers got captured when they were pregnant. and theres not that much of their habitat left natural so they capture them to cut back the population.

Did you ever hear of the wild ponies on Assateague and Chincoteague Islands in I think Virginia? There is a herd on each island I think. They round them up every year and auction some off and then they are released to go back to their island and live free again. I wanted to go buy one really bad when I was little and we went there on vacation to see the wild ponies. If you heard of the Misty of Chincoteague stories by Marguerite Henry you know what I am talking about. It is called Pony Penning and it is a big fundraiser where they auction off the foals.

http://www.kyhorsepark.com/imh/bw/chinco.html

I found this part interesting. sp they are owned technically but still wild free roaming animals:
Both herds are managed differently. The National Park Service owns and manages the Maryland herd while the Chincoteague Volunteer Fire Company owns and manages the Virginia herd. The Virginia herd, referred to as the "Chincoteague" ponies, is allowed to graze on Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge, through a special use permit issued by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. The size of both herds is restricted to approximately 150 adult animals each in order to protect the other natural resources of the wildlife refuge.

In Virginia, the "Pony Penning" event is responsible for meeting the limit of 150 adult animals. The Virginia herd undergoes a veterinarian check twice a year. In the spring (April) they are vaccinated against encephalitis (both eastern and western strain), rabies and tetanus and tested for EIA (Equine Infectious Anemia or swamp fever). They are also de-wormed and some horses have their hooves trimmed. In the fall they are de-wormed again and all horses have their hooves trimmed. The horses on the Virginia side of the island are also fenced off from road areas to stop people from feeding them and attracting them to cars and roadways, where they have been fatally injured in the past.

darkchild16

We are Home.
yea ive went to go see them!!!!!! i love the book Misty of the Chiincoteague! I love the Outer Banks ponies!!! I want to adopt one one of these days but seeing them wild was amazing!!!

Yes there was a whole series...these were all her books. Well I don't think they are a series like one that would have to be read in order, but many are related, like Mistys baby was Stormy and there were many relatives she wrote about.

Misty of Chincoteague (1947)
Benjamin West and His Cat Grimalkin (1947) (with Wesley Dennis)
King of the Wind (1948)
Sea Star (1949)
Born to Trot (1950)
Brighty of the Grand Canyon (1953)
Justin Morgan Had a Horse (1954)
Black Gold (1957)
Gaudenzia, Pride of the Palio (1960)
Five o'clock Charlie (1963)
Stormy: Misty's Foal (1965)
Mustang (1966)
Misty (1970)
San Domingo: The Medicine Hat Stallion (1972)
The White Stallion of Lipizza (1976)
The Palio: The Wildest Horse Race in the World (1976)
One Man's Horse (1977)
Little Fellow (1978)
A Pictorial Life Story of Misty (1978)
Our First Pony (1984)
Battle of the Stallions (1988)
An Innkeeper's Horse (1988)
The Rescue of Sham (1988)
Sire of Champions (1988)
Misty's Twilight (1996)
Brown Sunshine of Sawdust Valley (1996)
Misty of ChincoteagueBenjamin West and His Cat GrimalkinKing of the WindSea Star
Born to TrotBrighty of the Grand CanyonJustin Morgan Had a HorseBlack Gold
Gaudenzia, Pride of the PalioFive o'clock CharlieStormy: Misty's FoalMustang
MistySan Domingo: The Medicine Hat StallionThe White Stallion of LipizzaThe Palio: The Wildest Horse Race in the World
Little FellowA Pictorial Life Story of MistyOur First PonyBattle of the Stallions
Misty's TwilightBrown Sunshine of Sawdust Valley

darkchild16

We are Home.
yes its a awesome series and you seriously have to go to the island and see those horses if you ever can. I sat there for hours just watching them it was so amazing i wish i still had my pictures of them.

Squidbert

Scum scum scum scum..SCUM
Misty of Chincoteague (1947)
Misty (1970)
Sea Star (1949)
Brighty of the Grand Canyon (1953)
Justin Morgan Had a Horse (1954)

I think these are the ones I had.. I reamember Brighty especially.. he was a donkey right? Sigh.. I miss those books..

I would kill to go to that island.. how amazing that would be :)

Members online