Aargh! Ticks!

MPP

petperson
OK, I've been advised that an apple cider rinse after bathing will help with flea problems, and I'm going to try that. How about ticks?

I Advantix-ed my dogs on a Thursday, took them to Petco be groomed on a Sunday, and was advised when I picked them up that one of them had a lot of fleas on her chest. This seemed wrong on so many levels that I don't know where to start. OK, got the dog home, checked her out--and she was absolutely INFESTED with ticks. :madgo: I took 25 ticks off her then, more before bedtime, and could probably have kept going. You'd better believe that I called the grooming salon and "explained" things. (For one thing, the groomer couldn't tell the difference between fleas and ticks? For another--well, never mind. I'll never go back there again, so it's a moot, if aggravating, point.)

I called the pest control company at the crack of dawn. (Oh, BOY, did I call them.) They fell all over themselves to fix things up; I'm a very good customer and get everything treated that's treatable, precisely so that my dogs won't get parasites. It's expensive. It didn't work. They'd better make it work, I said. OK, they've really given it the old college try. If we all keel over in a toxic mist, you'll know why.

I talked to the vet even before the bug people. He recommended using Frontline Plus every three weeks until the problem is eliminated. So, as per directions, I Frontlined the dogs, though I was a little leery of treating them so soon after the Advantix.

I really thought we were over the hump. While I was still taking occasional ticks off Monday, they were getting fewer and fewer and did not seem to be attached. I got a couple off Katie Mae, but oddly, she never did have a big problem. (And besides, she won't let me investigate her inch by inch the way Monday will.) (She leaves.) But just now, did I not find 4 ticks in various places in my living room, just roaming around!!! And the yard was sprayed just yesterday!

I'm ready to scream. I lived through one tick infestation years ago and it was absolute hell. Does anybody have advice? Please?

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
i do know advantix only works if the ticks bite, same with the frontline...so that of course wont help, if there not biting the dog its not killing them and if they are biting your still going to need to pull them off.

My suggestion for natural remidies, brewers yeast and garlic.
apple cider vinigar is good for the coat as a rinse but wont do much that way, and its great interanlly and might make the dogs smell less apealing...(which is how brewers yeast and garlic both work...)

if however the exterminators have been out and you still having issues im thinking the ticks have been so overexposed there now resistant.
we have that problem here, we had to switch from frontline plus to advantix when frontline stopped working, and next year well probably have to switch again...

Romy

Taxiderpy
We had ticks like that when we lived in Tucson. It was horrifying.

Honestly, the most effective thing we've found (and this was an accidental discovery) is that poultry are the best tick control. We got three hens and had them in our backyard downtown. Before that the dogs would come in from pottying with 25+ ticks on their faces. If we combed them fast enough we could get most of them before they attached. After getting chickens we never saw a single tick on our dogs ever again.

MPP

petperson
Thanks for your suggestions, Foxy and Romy. Aren't ticks gross? I love the chicken idea, but I live in a rather staid suburb, so it's just not on the cards. :cry: It's also illegal here. Some people have no sense of humor. :(

I just found previous tick messages on this forum, so I guess that a) I'm not paying as much attention to things as I should :rolleyes:, and b) nobody has found much of a solution yet. :cry: Sorry, all, for the repetitions.

I like the chicken suggestion though. Maybe ornamental chickens???

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
Romy probably knows more than be but have you considered using Diotomaceous Earth to get rid of ticks? I've read that is kills fleas by drying out their skeletons and wonder if it would do the same to ticks?

MPP

petperson
I'm sure that would work on carpet, Izzie, but would it work on tile? Most of the house is tiled. (I had a diabetic cat one time.)

Members online

No members online now.