I bought my dog from a backyard breeder.

LeoAussie :)

My best friend is furry.
Puppy Mills and BYB are two very disgustings things. It's good to know that one more person has discovered just how bad they are.

bubbatd

I personally feel that puppy mills are MUCH worse ....BYBs usually have only one female .....which means probably an average of 10 to 15 pups a year . ( UGH!) , but a puppy mill can have over 100 .

Feebee

You maybe did buy your dog from a back yard breeder but if you hadnt and the pups get older what would these people do!!!!! Put them out in the woods and dump them!!!You have saved your dog and always remember that. Dont be ashamed. None of us can do anything until the law changes on such things.

Fiona and Archie

Backyard breeders start with one breeding bitch than get 2 then 3 etc etc. Then they become commercial breeders some do the MIN for the breeding but have 4-10 litters a year of lets say one breed... Way to much to rescue or own correctly....

Then when the dogs boomer rang and they get in over their head they dont stop breeding they dont ask for help before they become a puppymill.

I define puppymillers as dogs not kept in proper care and too many to care for. A combo of both some call commercial kennels who feed water and vet their dogs as High class puppymills.

Opinions vary- back yard breeders or newbies can make the choice in the cross roads of dog breeding to raise the bar or skim under it.

Once they become commercial breeders 9 out of 10 cases they are 1 step away from becoming puppymillers.

That one breeder who is really rich NOT off of dogs that has a Vet , groomer, kennel help, trainers, large land with proper animal husbandry that show work and test all dogs before breeding are rare but ive heard do exist.

They take pride in what they breed . IN the rare molossers breeds I do not feel any of them need to be produced commercially since they not fit into most homes.

And I know most believe no breed should be over bred but in some cases in regards to rescues or rehomes. Because ~

1. Small dogs are more adoptable giant dogs are often put to sleep based out of size when rehomed.
2. Purebreds get more attention even thou once you own a mutt you dont want to risk the crap that comes with some purebreds.
3. Guardian dogs have temps not suited for most.
4. HIgh maintence breeds medium sized most dont want for the work be it grooming or hyper dogs that need to be worked.

Breeds well known to be good family pets are more adoptable than ones less well known...

So all in all im againest puppymillers ( hate them) & backyard breeders ( can be saved in some cases) commercial breeders that are future millers..

Jd

Members online