very old video

Tazwell

Wow. That was really cool to see, thanks for sharing. Some of those breeds haven't changed a bit, some are extinct (I think). The boxers look incredibly different! To see some of those breeds, already so exaggerated in their breeding, almost 100 years ago... crazy.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Wow!!!! The boxers are so different, and ZOMG at the Boston terriers!!!!!!! Different dog ENTIRELY!!!

The 2nd video was fab too!

Cool, I'll have to watch them when I have the time! But I must say, I was watching an old Rusty movie this past weekend, they were made around the 50's I think? And it had a Boxer in it and wow! Even that amount of time and they look different! Tubby was the dogs movie name, playing a guide dog.

Oh wow that was great!!! Loved the Borzoi, they really look the same. But yeah, those Boxer are something else, it's hard to think of that big hunk on the left as a purebred Boxer, look at the size of his head!

And the Boston got me too! Almost looks a bit Staffy in head, but does prove something interesting, when I saw my first Bostons I got a good sampling of cropped and uncropped, and really couldn't understand why they cropped them at all! And still to this day don't get it, but watching that video shows why, their ears really have changed a lot! I could see why they use to crop them.

Did anyone else catch the Belgian Laekenois looking dog? Looks just like the breed today, I'm assuming the name was just the foreign translation?

Laeks are a breed variety over there along with the mal, groenendael, and terv.
Yes, I know that, but that's not the name that popped up. I went back and looked, this is what they called the dog: Ruwharige Belgische Herdershond
It came up so quick and I wasn't paying attention, but I see it does say "Belgische" which I take would be Belgian?

JacksonsMom

Wow, very cool. I love seeing old videos, especially of old dogs... very neat.

I can't help but notice a lot of them look pretty unhappy, LOL. Not miserable or anything, but a few were totally sulking and trying to get away. Maybe it was just because they were on that small chain, for video purposes, I'm guessing. And then around the 5:40 mark in the first video, that dude hits his dog. Different times, but to me it was interesting to see... it's so much better to see a dog enjoying himself these days (even though obviously I know old school training still exists).

I really liked the look of the Boxer back then, and the Newfoundland. I think it's cool to see the breeds which have basically stayed the same too!

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Does anybody know what the Matin Belgische Trekhond was? I'm assuming extinct now...but those were some very cool looking dogs.

I loved how the Boxers looked. And I wish Bostons still looked like that! Almost like Staffies.

MicksMom

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Yah, I was able to do a google search that turned up a dutch dog forum page and they were discussing the same video. Made me laugh, because just like we were all commenting on the Boxer and Boston Terrier, so were they - dog fanciers are apparently the same all over the world! LOL

Seems that the Belgian Mastiff became extinct, but someone is currently trying to bring it back. Either way, they are gorgeous dogs.

JacksonsMom

Members online