What do you think of these breeds for me?

hops523

How's it going everyone? Been looking around here for awhile and finally joined. I've been thinking about getting a puppy for quite sometime now. When I lived with my parents we rescued an 18 month old stray male GSD, who only weighed 55 lbs(ribs and hips were visible), had bad habits, etc. He is now a solid 85 lbs, well trained, loves people, loves other dogs, and a great companion.

Right now I live in a good sized town home with a roommate, the only problem is that there is no fenced in backyard, it's more of an open space that all the tenants share. But there are a couple nice dog parks near us where the dog can run freely.

I'm looking for a medium-large breed somewhere around 40-65 lbs, easy to train, intelligent, friendly with other dogs, and other people. A breed that can go without a large yard(will still get lots of exercise). I live in Northern Colorado, so our winters can get fairly cold, but the rest of the year isnt bad at all.

The two breeds I've really been considering are Samoyeds and Standard Schnauzers. But I'm very open to suggestions. What do you think?

P.S. I am not looking to get a puppy for the next year or so. And there's a good chance my roommate and I might move into a house with a good sized yard next year. I'm just looking to get suggestions now so I have plenty of time to research and meet the breed I decide on.
Thanks

Aleron

Sams are very good natured but not usually considered "easy to train". Less independent than Sibes but still a Northern breed. That isn't to say they aren't trainable but they aren't hardwired to want to work for you. Generally they are good with everyone though - people and other dogs.

Standard Schnauzers also are generally considered "easy to train" and aren't always good with other dogs.

hops523

Thanks for the replies! I think I came off wrong when I said "easy to train". My parents GSD who I helped train was and sometimes still is pretty stubborn, especially for a GSD. So Im not completely new to dogs that arent easy to train. I kind of meant I didnt want a breed like a basenji.

And I know all breeds have things that are generally the truth about them, such as Standard Schnauzers not always good with other dogs. But with correct socialization from a young age, I can see that not being a problem.

I remember when my parents were considering a GSD puppy and were speaking with breeders, a couple breeders asked us what traits we'd like to see in a puppy at a young age such as: outgoing, stubborn, a little attitude, etc. With the goal of the puppy hopefully keeping those traits into adulthood. What are all your views on that kind of stuff?

If I was on a waiting list for a Samoyed puppy, and I told the breeder one of the traits Id like to see is "seems eager to please"(which would probably be difficult to see in any puppy). Is that something a lot of people do with whatever breed theyre interested in?

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Why not a med/lg mixed breed from a shelter or all breed rescue? If you got an older pup/young adult you'd likely be able to tell how they'd do with dogs and people, what their energy level is, etc. and if you found one through a foster based organization they'd already be started on housetraining and other skills that would be helpful to have in a shared living/rental situation. :)

Aleron

What about a Collie? Females and some males are in your size range, they are easy to train, great house dogs and generally get along with everyone. They come in rough or smooth coats, depending on what sort of upkeep you prefer.

hops523

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I posted a reply in here earlier, but it hasnt showed up yet, so Im not sure if this one will come up before or not.

I am definitely considering a medium/large mix puppy from a shelter, and I think thats a great idea, but Id like to do my research on the purebreds Im interested in as well and when the time comes, Ill see what the best option for me is.

I like the idea of a Collie and Brittany as well. Collies seem to fit everything perfect, and seem to be everything Im looking for :). I love Brittanys! The only thing that concerns me about them is not having a large yard for a Brittany to run around in.

Aleron

I like the idea of a Collie and Brittany as well. Collies seem to fit everything perfect, and seem to be everything Im looking for :). I love Brittanys! The only thing that concerns me about them is not having a large yard for a Brittany to run around in.
Brittanys are definitely high energy! IME much more so than a Collie. Collies are fun loving and playful but can easily chill out in the house, even if you slack on exercise for a couple days. Not so much with Brittanys ;)

The Collie Club of America has a great online guide about collies: Collie Club Of America: Collie as a Family Dog

hops523

Thanks for the link, they actually have a Colorado Collie Club, which is great! Collies sounds like a a great breed for me.

Now let me ask you all this question about one more breed, the APBT. I know they are a strong breed that need to be well socialized and trained early. And I know theyre pretty active as well. But every APBT Ive met are loyal and friendly dogs. Any opinions?

You're right on the APBT, but you have to take into account that it can be very difficult to rent with one and you need to check and see if you are in an area that has legislation against owning them. Plus they are not a good match for dog parks, even if yours doesn't start the fight, he's going to get blamed.

You do have to be aware that, as with ANY Terrier breed, dog aggression or strong reactivity is a very real possibility, even though your pup has been the most friendly, playful creature with other dogs before. Around age two or three is when you usually see it kick in.

hops523

I didnt even think about the whole dog park thing, if an APBT got into a fight he/she didnt start, they would definitely get blamed.

Im just trying to look into and study as many breeds as possible so by the time I decide on a breed, Ill know he/she was the best choice I could make :)

EDIT: I wish Chinooks were a more common breed, Ive wanted one ever since I was old enough to get on the computer and find out what they were haha

Last edited:

monkeys23

Here's a thought that I'm not sure if someone else has brought up, have you looked at Dobes at all? Some might be a little on the large size of the spectrum you mentioned, but they are very nice companions that can be very social if well bred and have minimal grooming requirements. If you get a nicely bred one thats from health tested stock (big must with the breed) and good temperament that could be a very nice fit. And it wouldn't necessarily be as extreme on the DA as other terriers (though terriers were used in their creation). They are known for same sex DA, but honestly that is extremely common in any breed really. If you use your head about the situations in which your dog interacts with others I don't see that being a problem. They are active without being extreme and are generally quite biddable to train. :)

hops523

A female Doberman wouldnt be a bad idea. My parents have a good friend who has a very nice female Doberman who always comes over to play with my parents GSD. We've known her since she was a puppy, and shes around 4 or 5 now, always been a good dog. I will have to look into them a bit more, but I like that suggestion.

I have also been looking into English Springer Spaniels. Seem like an awesome fit, as long as they get enough exercise.

Oh and by the way I was reminded by my roommate the other day, that by our house we have a nice large creek area thats pretty closed off by the trees around it. Where the dog can get good exercise off the leash other than at the dog park. Once he/she has a good recall, it would be fun to go there. We also have a nice hiking area about 15 minutes away from us.

monkeys23

They are pretty awesome judging from all the ones I've met at training. :)

Hiking is great.... and certain areas/paths I use a long line (if there are no leash length limits and no heavy foot/bike traffic) and splitter to keep it legal and have an emergency reel in, if I see a loose dog coming. We always always pull over and they sit/lay while focusing on me while other dogs pass. They are very friendly, but you never know about strange dogs. And its good practice for them!

monkeys23

My only ESS experience has been out of control loose ones that tried to attack me and my dogs unfortunately. :(

I recommend a Shetland Sheepdog, an American Cocker Spaniel, an English Cocker Spaniel or an Eskimo Spitz. They're all medium-sized, easy to train and friendly with everyone. Samoyeds are not so easy to train. Standard Schnauzers may tend to be aggressive towards dogs of the same sex.

Members online

No members online now.