Dogs that are scared of the vet?

Flyinsbt

I am terrified that the next vet visit will bring back all of Tucker's human reactivity issues outside of the house plus make him loose trust in me. The only reason he doesn't react to people outside of the house now is because he knows they never try to touch him. I'm also afraid I'll end up crying when I see him so terrified.

Tucker hasn't been to the vet since he was neutered at 7 months old and he was human reactive beforehand so I couldn't see how it affected him, other than being told he wasn't nice.

Do most vets let you come hang out in the lobby with your dog just to get them used to the place? I think that would probably take the stress down a bit, being comfortable in the environment.
They should. If they don't, I'd pick another vet. I take my dogs in frequently to weigh them on the vet's scale, and they usually get some treats and petting just for coming by.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Do most vets let you come hang out in the lobby with your dog just to get them used to the place? I think that would probably take the stress down a bit, being comfortable in the environment.
They absolutely should. Heck, I take everybody in to be weighed, chill out in an empty exam room, and chill out in the back without me every so often.

Gambit is....Gambit at the vet. He's a total shut down dog there, but he's the same way at most places that are public, so it's just kind of him.

Argon on the other hand, was crazy for going to the vet. They had a floor to ceiling chinchilla cage with several chins in there, and he would spend the entire time in the waiting room praying that the bars would dissolve so he could feast. After that joy, the vet could have done anything and he wouldn't have noticed.

Lady Chesh will flirt with anyone, regardless of whether or not they have an instrument shoved up her rear, so she doesn't count. She was also dumb enough to fall off the table while being petted last time, so go figure.

BlackPuppy

Owned by Belgians
I have found that if I narrate what is going on, my dogs do much better at the vet. Especially my Malinois, who is a sucker for flattery. "Now the nice doctor is going to look in your pretty eyes. " LOL! Otherwise, my girl doesn't let anybody touch her except for one friend who we visit often.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I am SO thankful all of my dogs are good at the vets. Cynder, Gracie, and Cooper are just good in general, so that isn't a big surprise. They can be a bit dramatic at times, and it takes two people to trim Cooper's nails, but they're model citizens besides that.

With Chloe, it took a LOT of treats, praise, and limited change. I was extremely careful that, during her initial "I will eat you if you restrain me or touch me in ways I don't like" phase that we never went over her threshold, even if that meant blowing off part of the exam and doing it later or not at all. (Helped that I worked at the vet, too.) We would go slow, I would cram her face with treats, and I tried to never let her have a bad experience. Now, as long as I am the one restraining her, she is just fine. Holds still for blood draws, lets any vet do a full examination, she even let us take radiographs when we were checking for stones without needing sedation (which involved us having to roll her onto her back, stretch her out, and hold her there). I still try to make her visits brief, happy, and full of treats and awesomeness. Considering she hasn't even attempted to bite anyone yet while at the vet, I'd say she's awesome!
She DOES completely stress while there and pants/shakes/whines the entire time. When I had her in for bloodwork to start her on prozac, the vet said, "You mean this dog needs anxiety medication? No....surely not." LOL

Members online

No members online now.