What else does Mikey have in him?

Saje

Island dweller
Hi,
I'm hoping you'll give me some feedback on what other breeds could be in him. It's the general consensus that he has some pit in him. I don't think he's all pit though. Not from the pics I look up online. He's from the local shelter. His tail has been docked. Temperment - stubborn, loving, loyal, faithful, hunter (can't leave him with bunnies), needy, whiny, VERY people/family oriented (not like Mav)...

Thoughts?

EliNHunter said:
He's SO CUTE!!! I would think 1/2 pit 1/2 lab...
Especially with the Temperment - stubborn, loving, loyal, faithful, hunter (can't leave him with bunnies), needy, whiny, VERY people/family oriented!

Saje

Island dweller
You think? Lab. Hmmm. Not sure about that. He's quite small. And when he runs you can see the power in his back legs, bow-legged kind of. Like other bulldogs.

Saje

Island dweller
I have another, funny, pic of him.

And I also wanted to mention that he's got quite short hair. He can't be outside for long unless he's moving (walks) and he gets freezy ears. :)

Last edited:

Saje

Island dweller
Sorry that's so big. I'll fix it in a bit

Last edited:
He could be a real Heinz dog! He has some Lab look, some Pit or Staffie (I'm more inclined toward the AmStaff than the Pit in his case), but it looks like he's trying to have an undercoat!

Great looking dog, wherever his parents came from! :D

Saje

Island dweller
Why do you say more Staffie than Pit? I'm curious. Maybe I'll tell people he's mostly Staffie. Probably get better reactions. :) He does have a bit of an undercoat. It's funny because I brush maverick (a whole ordeal) and then run the brush over Mikey's whole body and get less hair than one swipe on Maverick. :)

He also has quite loose skin. I dont' know if that means anything. I grab his neck skin and can almost cover his eyes with it. Is that a breed thing?

Saje

Island dweller
Man, I'm the queen of double posts today! Gotta get my act together. Sorry!

Last edited:
That head and face and your description of his temperament just point the ol' intuition at Staffie rather than Pit.

The loose skin is typical of the molossoid dogs. It's actually quite a defense. Something can bite them, but doesn't get anything vital and they still have enough manueverability within their own skin to be able to grab whatever has hold of them.

How old is Mikey, by the way, and about how big is he? Are his feet webbed?

Saje

Island dweller
Mikey is roughly a year. I don't think he's two yet. When we got him the shelter guessed his age at about 10 months. We've had him since September. All I know is he lifts his leg to pee, has TONS of puppy energy, doesn't chew like a puppy (just occassionally on things we give him) and hasn't grown.

Height. Hmmm. He's got longer limbs than pits do I think. He probably comes up to my knees. The top of his back is about two feet off the ground - roughly. He does have webbed feet. I just went to double-check and now he's giving me a funny look. :) What else. The very tips of his back-right toes are white. :) Dark, dark eyes. It's hard to see the pupils sometimes and I can't remember seeing white very much. He has gorgeous eyes I think. Soft, floppy ears. :)

Do you have any idea about what area he might have come from? That's often a good clue to what's in the genetic soup - looking at what breeds are common to the area of origin.

You can pretty well figure that the odds are he's a random mix and the father is probably a dominant dog, able to fend off other males. I'd really just about bank on Staffie or mostly StaffieX on that side of the chromosome. The webbed feet tell me there's some water dog of some type (like a retriever) in there, although some of the molossoids, like the Filas, do have webbed feet for coping with soupy terrain.

That undercoat's the mystery! He wouldn't have an undercoat, though, unless there were a breed in there somewhere that is an outdoor-type working dog. I can't think of many sporting/hunting dogs with undercoats off the top of my head.

lol! Can you tell I do this kind of thing with legal information for a living? ;)

That Valley Bulldog is interesting. Kind of like the Victorian.

Saje

Island dweller
Well. I got him at the shelter here in Northwestern BC. http://www.kermode.net/terrace/
Here there are a lot of sledding dogs. A lot! That's mostly what I see in the shelter. Some GSD mixes. THere was a collie type dog there.A dobbieX.

You guys are saying things that I never even considered. That's cool.

avenlee

A friend of ours has a Shar Pai (spell check) / Black Lab mix named "Arnold" (hehehe he's exactly like an Arnold too) that looks very similar to your dog. The extra skin that you described can be contributed to the Shar Pai breed? Just a thought.

Saje

Island dweller
It's too bad that I can't post dig videos. I'd love to show you how he looks when he runs. Very powerful and bulldoggy. Maybe in the next few years we'll get that ability. :)
Thanks for your thoughts

That other pic is ADORABLE! I'm still leaning towards lab as 1/2 or at least part. The disposition and clowning around -- definitely lab personality there! My ex has a "lab" and we think she's got pit in her too. She's very small like Mikey. I got her to foster her thru an emergency rescue group need... she had been chained up to her doghouse in a neighboring state -- left to the elements (in OHIO in the winter!!) and other dogs would come in and breed her over and over. She'd have puppies again and again. The humane society people there would bring bales of straw and leave it for the owners to put down for her. It never was. Finally, she had a litter that was "growing up" and the owner just unchained her and let her and the pups run wild. When she would get into neighbors' trash to fend for herself and try and find food, the neighbors would call and complain. Finally, upon one of those phone calls, the "owner" said "just shoot her". Can you IMAGINE!!??? Meanwhile, she got into rescue but they had no foster homes. I had been corresponding with the rescue lady about some things and agreed to take her. Meanwhile, my ex KNEW this was his dog and said he'd take her sight unseen! They're a match made in heaven. And I get to keep her whenever he travels out of town. Ahhh... I love happy endings!

EliNHunter said:
That other pic is ADORABLE! I'm still leaning towards lab as 1/2 or at least part. The disposition and clowning around -- definitely lab personality there! My ex has a "lab" and we think she's got pit in her too. She's very small like Mikey. I got her to foster her thru an emergency rescue group need... she had been chained up to her doghouse in a neighboring state -- left to the elements (in OHIO in the winter!!) and other dogs would come in and breed her over and over. She'd have puppies again and again. The humane society people there would bring bales of straw and leave it for the owners to put down for her. It never was. Finally, she had a litter that was "growing up" and the owner just unchained her and let her and the pups run wild. When she would get into neighbors' trash to fend for herself and try and find food, the neighbors would call and complain. Finally, upon one of those phone calls, the "owner" said "just shoot her". Can you IMAGINE!!??? Meanwhile, she got into rescue but they had no foster homes. I had been corresponding with the rescue lady about some things and agreed to take her. Meanwhile, my ex KNEW this was his dog and said he'd take her sight unseen! They're a match made in heaven. And I get to keep her whenever he travels out of town. Ahhh... I love happy endings!
I failed to mention... the owner had stopped feeding her (and watering her, obviously). And when she got into rescue and got spayed, she had puppies in her :mad:

Saje

Island dweller
Aww. Crappy people! That's so good that you (and ex) could help out. I love happy endings are the best. I think sometimes kitty and puppy abortions are good. At least the animals don't have to grow up to live with abusive people or in a shelter waiting to get put down. Controversial. I know.

Members online

No members online now.