Dockdogs weekend!

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
I've seen a lot of dogs get confused switching back and forth between EV, SR, and BA all in the same day the first couple of times, so I wouldn't sweat it, especially with the changing light conditions.

I make the picture for each event really different for the dogs and that seems to help.

• For BA, the dogs may wear their suits (they dont for SR or EV), and I do the typical sit stay at the end of the dock, me at the edge on the other end, toy in hand.
  • For SR, I show them the bumper, drag them back, hold the dog back on the line, lean over them, cuing "reeeeaaaaddddy, seeeeet, GO!!" in their ear along with the cadence.
  • For EV, we do a stand stay (or try to) on their mark while the bumper is placed, I'm standing at their side, and then I release with "Get IT!"
For both SR and EV I have my double string bumper in hand in line to keep them targeting the right item and I drop it before going on the dock so they can get it on the way off the dock on the other side.

Dunno if any of that helps or not, but figured I'd throw it out there. :)

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Well, we're completely back to square one. Oh my. :( Would not go off the dock any today. We had a spot in Pro Finals with the 23ft jump, but had to scratch from Finals. So, so disappointed.

In EV training I held the toy out right back where he could not get it unless he jumped. Well I guess that freaked him out, so now that fear is stopping him from going off the dock. It was so sad. Spectators were coming up and saying how sorry they were he wasn't jumping, and hoped he'd be back at it again soon. How does my dog go from power-housing down the dock and flying off to coming to a complete stop and crying because he's too afraid to go off. Ugh. Even when we *first* started out 3 years ago, this NEVER happened. Ever.

I'm already working on getting some alone pool time in the next couple weeks.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Oh that SUX. :( Kes went through some weird "off" jumps a while back (like jumping 9' at one point) - ended up doing a chiro adjustment and he's back to normal. I wonder if Blaze tweaked something?

Members online