New addition to the family!

Hi everyone i havent been on for a few weeks and just yesterday added a new addition to the family. as u all know i have debo (chihuahua) babygirl (chihuahua dauchsund mix) and 2 cats hatchet and ninjette. well im here to introduce the newest addition to my family. PRECIOUS! shes a pitbull 7 weeks ( i know shes young but they were going to sell her to someone that didnt have experiance in the breed and i think wanted her for other reasons than a companion) and shes a wopping 10 lbs!!!!! LOL
PRECIOUS

S

SevenSins

shes a pitbull 7 weeks ( i know shes young but they were going to sell her to someone that didnt have experiance in the breed and i think wanted her for other reasons than a companion)
She's cute, but I'm curious as to what makes you think that?

just because i met the person that was also interested in her and was talking about breeding her and that he wanted to crop her beautiful ears and he also had a pit mix in his truck that had scars all over his face and neck didnt make me feel to comfortable! :|

crazedACD

She's a cutie! Just watch the fur on her head and around her eyes, it seems a little thin, almost pre mange. I'm guessing you bought from a back yard breeder with no guarantee against this sort of thing? When you head to the vet have them take a look and maybe a little scraping for demodex.

S

SevenSins

She's a cutie! Just watch the fur on her head and around her eyes, it seems a little thin, almost pre mange.
She's black. A lot of black APBT (and other shorthaired breed) puppies tend to look thin around the forehead and eyes for awhile. I don't see anything out of the ordinary that would make me recommend a skin scrape for demodex in this pup (nor do I recommend treating mild demodex anyway, it' typically self limiting), just lighter puppy skin pigment contrasting with a dark coat.

Also want to point out that even though the breeder of this puppy is clearly the type to sell to anyone who comes along and has the cash, as unfortunately most APBT breeders are... Owning a dog with cropped ears, and/or scars, does night mean the person fights their dogs. I would hope that anyone who claims to have experience with the breed would know that it IS historically a fighting breed, and accidents happen. I hope that the OP has a plan in place in case the new puppy gets older and no longer likes other dogs.

i have alot of expierance with APBT my mom and dad usto breed them when i was younger.. ive had a few that have now passed on.. RIP.. and thank you for the comments :D shes real good around my other dogs and shes really calm for a puppy im suprised! im taking her to the vet on monday to get puppy shots and for a good check up just to make sure her health is 100% :D ill keep you all updated with pictures and what the vet tells me :D

i know some pits may become dog aggressive and may not like cats but out of all my years with the breed i havent had that problem so im hoping it wont happen with this one. and yes i do have an alternative if that does happen but with good training and good socialization that shouldnt happen..

like i said in my last post my mom and dad usto breed them and we had cats and alot of other animals around on our farm we never had a problem.so im trying to stay positive on this point :)

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
i know some pits may become dog aggressive and may not like cats but out of all my years with the breed i havent had that problem so im hoping it wont happen with this one. and yes i do have an alternative if that does happen but with good training and good socialization that shouldnt happen..
The bolded part is not true AT ALL. You need to understand that. Dog aggression is largely genetic (esp in APBTs) and you cannot socialize it away. And it often rears its head longs after puppyhood, more like the 2-3 years old range. NO amount of socialization will eliminate DA if it is genetically present in your dog.

S

SevenSins

like i said in my last post my mom and dad usto breed them and we had cats and alot of other animals around on our farm we never had a problem.so im trying to stay positive on this point :)
I currently breed APBTs, my dogs aren't even working or gamebred, they're UKC show bred, and even I own some dogs that will (and have) killed cats, would kill small dogs if they have an opportunity, and again, if they have the opportunity will fight other dogs. It has nothing to do with crossing your fingers, "staying positive" and hoping for the best. It has very, very little to do with socialization or how you raise them. It's a breed trait.

Ok... well i do have a backup plan when/if that times comes she becomes aggressive.. but i do like to stay positive on all outlooks so i apoligize. if there is any ADVICE ud like to give me that would be most appreciated. i understand the traits in this breed ive owned a few in my lifetime and have had small dogs and cats and they did fine with them. i dont plan on leaving her with them while i am gone just for that fact of coming home and my little ones are.. hurt in anyway. i have a set up for the small ones while i am gone ( crate trained ) and i am working on her also to be crate trained during the times i am absent from the house.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Just be careful, please.

Living with a housemate doesn't mean one day they won't argue, this is true for any breed of dog. Unfortunately with pit bulls their ability to just grumble and argue is a very short fuse.

Don't be foolish, always supervise interactions, never leave a pit bull alone with another animal just because they are fine while you are there. They may always be fine but they may have one moment that causes a domino effect and unfortunately the other animal will not fair well.

ETA: posted while you posted, glad to see you seem aware of being safe when they're alone.

Otherwise, enjoy the puppy stage :) They grow up quickly!

Ulteed

Awww, what a sweet looking puppy! Please do post more pictures as the little one grows! :)

Miakoda

Training and socialization will make for a happy and obedient dog, but it won't do anything to stop dog aggression from presenting in your dog.

You most definitely can manage DA, but you cannot cure it nor train it out of your dog.

You really need to be aware, and never get complacent, as DA can all-of-a-sudden appear at any time. I've had dogs exhibiting DA at 10 months, and I've had one that didn't turn on until 5 (and let me tell you about that bloodbath in my living room from her and a male that were loose in there :rolleyes: ).

Fwiw, NONE of my dogs had/have tolerance for cats or little dogs (and I've owned a LOT of true APBTs). I've had some dogs that were pretty much cold (no reaction to other dogs), but even those dogs had issues with "prey" smaller than them. I've never, and never will, get an APBT with the thinking that it will be a "friend" to my other dog(s). I always bring them in as an "only dog", and then go about finding out whether or not it can be safely allowed to have some play time with another dog or not.

You're going to have to be really rigid and strict in your management of your pets, and remember that there's rarely such a thing as an "accident". Almost always it's a lapse in judgement and/or responsibility.

As for the guy you got this dog from, he sounds like your typical backyard breeder of "pit bull" mutts, meaning there's little chance the dog is purebred anything. All he cares about is cash in his pocket, and as long as people continue to provide him with such cash, he'll continue to pump out nondescript dogs in his backyard.

Teal

...ice road...
but with good training and good socialization that shouldnt happen..

Please do some research on bull breeds, as you obviously know nothing about them.

Ok... well i do have a backup plan when/if that times comes she becomes aggressive.. but i do like to stay positive on all outlooks so i apoligize.

To people actually involved in the breed, dog aggression isn't a "negative" - it's a normal breed trait that you have to accept.

Dare I ask what your back up plan is?

Members online

No members online now.