Acupuncture? Anyone done it? + hair loss.

kady05

So I've been losing my hair for a few years now. It's an all over thinning (not breaking, it falls off from the root), and it's definitely noticeable when you look back at older pictures of me and compare them to current ones.

Ex.:

'04:

'08 (it was still full then):

And Oct. '11:

Anyway. It's thin, I lose a lot. That's all I know. According to my blood work, I'm "fine". Drs. agree that "something" is probably wrong, but they don't know what.

I've been to my primary care, a dermatologist, and a rheumatoid Dr. Have had glucose tolerance testing done to check for diabetes, all the standard blood work, thyroid is always fine, blah blah blah.

The only med. I took was birth control, which I went OFF of for almost 7 months just to see if I'd notice a difference. Never did, Drs. (including my OB Dr.) all agree that they don't think the BC would cause this, so as of a month ago, I am back on it (it's a low dose Estrogen pill). I take a prenatal vitamin + Biotin daily. Tried one of the Andrew Lessman hair vitamins for months and saw no results.

I'm sick of being almost 25 and losing my hair. I try not to stress about it (I know stress can = hair loss!), but it is concerning, especially with some of the other symptoms I have (which I won't get into unless y'all ask). I'm just tired of Drs. not having any answers, and half of them blowing me off.. that is until I pull out older pictures of myself. Then they go "Oh, yeah.. it has thinned out a lot." Uh, duh! I'm not making this up.

I was reading today on a forum and someone mentioned acupuncture and traditional Chinese herbs. They saw results fairly quickly, lots of new growth. So I'm thinking, well, I've tried just about everything else, why not? Has anyone here tried it, if so, what did you think?

Or, any other suggestions for my hair? I'm open to just about anything at this point!

I've had acupuncture and do acupuncture, so I may be biased. In my opinion, acupuncture/herbal medicine really shines with "nebulopathies" - that is, something is obviously wrong but Western medicine has been unable to diagnose it by measuring the things we usually measure (and are easily measured). So I would encourage you to at least have an evaluation.

Typically diagnoses are made as a "pattern" rather than a specific disease. There is a saying "One disease, many patterns; One pattern, many diseases." Because every pathological pattern may express differently in different people based on their constitution (genetics) and other factors. And don't be put off by the terminology - there is a metaphoric framework of diagnosis and treatment that includes terms that are weird to western ears - damp, phlegm, hot/cold, Qi, excess/deficient, yin/yang and other stuff. It's all just a metaphor.

Many times the same lifestyle changes that are good for pretty much whatever ails you - sleep, stress control, good diet, exercise - are part of the recommended treatment, so you'll probably get some "homework" along those lines. Sometimes specific foods may be recommended as something to include or avoid based on what, in that system of medicine, their energetic properties are (hot/cold, damp/dry) and what your patter is.

ETA: And the needling itself is really nothing to worry about in terms of pain. The needles are really teeny tiny.

PlottMom

The Littlest Hound
I'd like to hear some answers too... My hair has thinned a LOT in the past ten years or so.. I've tried nioxin shampoo & conditioner, and that *seems* to have made it look a little thicker...

Bailey08

For a long time, I was getting stress headaches that OTC meds couldn't touch. (Since I knew they were stress-related, I didn't seek serious pain medicine, but they were truly miserable.) Anyway, weekly acupuncture sessions got rid of them. It was so strange to be "covered" in needles and yet more relaxed than ever!

I don't truly understand it, and I'm not a spiritual person, but something worked for me -- and I didn't question it! :)

All that to say that I have no idea if it would help with hair loss, but I think it would be worth a try! Hopefully, at the least, you'll feel good afterward. :)

kady05

I've had acupuncture and do acupuncture, so I may be biased. In my opinion, acupuncture/herbal medicine really shines with "nebulopathies" - that is, something is obviously wrong but Western medicine has been unable to diagnose it by measuring the things we usually measure (and are easily measured). So I would encourage you to at least have an evaluation.

Typically diagnoses are made as a "pattern" rather than a specific disease. There is a saying "One disease, many patterns; One pattern, many diseases." Because every pathological pattern may express differently in different people based on their constitution (genetics) and other factors. And don't be put off by the terminology - there is a metaphoric framework of diagnosis and treatment that includes terms that are weird to western ears - damp, phlegm, hot/cold, Qi, excess/deficient, yin/yang and other stuff. It's all just a metaphor.

Many times the same lifestyle changes that are good for pretty much whatever ails you - sleep, stress control, good diet, exercise - are part of the recommended treatment, so you'll probably get some "homework" along those lines. Sometimes specific foods may be recommended as something to include or avoid based on what, in that system of medicine, their energetic properties are (hot/cold, damp/dry) and what your patter is.

ETA: And the needling itself is really nothing to worry about in terms of pain. The needles are really teeny tiny.
Thanks for taking the time to write all of that! Very informative :)

Btw - I'm not worried about the needles. I've been stuck with so many freaking needles in the past year that I'm immune to it at this point!

I'd like to hear some answers too... My hair has thinned a LOT in the past ten years or so.. I've tried nioxin shampoo & conditioner, and that *seems* to have made it look a little thicker...
The Nixon is great stuff. I have it. My problem is that I only wash my hair twice a week (I "wash" with conditioner the other days). Mainly because I lose the most hair when I wash it, so I try to limit it as much as possible. That and, my hair is curly, and curly hair likes conditioner most of the time!

I wish I had a magic cure for you.. it really sucks when Drs. just look at you and can't give you an answer.

For a long time, I was getting stress headaches that OTC meds couldn't touch. (Since I knew they were stress-related, I didn't seek serious pain medicine, but they were truly miserable.) Anyway, weekly acupuncture sessions got rid of them. It was so strange to be "covered" in needles and yet more relaxed than ever!

I don't truly understand it, and I'm not a spiritual person, but something worked for me -- and I didn't question it! :)

All that to say that I have no idea if it would help with hair loss, but I think it would be worth a try! Hopefully, at the least, you'll feel good afterward. :)
I get headaches all.the.time. I also have major sciatic nerve pain as well as knee pain (I have arthritis in them already). So I'm thinking if anything, it might be able to help with that stuff!

I'm the same way - I don't really "get" it, but I've heard so many good things about it and how its helped people that I'm not going to question it. Plus, not like it can hurt me to try it!

Dreeza

you'd be better off going to someone more experienced with nutrition.

Especially if you have a bunch of symptoms, I'd definitely start googling how nutrition can affect them.

Acupuncture is def worth a try though, it just may not be a long term solution.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Acupuncture is awesome. I was having a really hard time overall, but especially with my back. I went to a Chinese doctor and they did moxibustion, massage, craniosacro therapy, and accupuncture. At the very end the main doctor dude did some kung fu type chiropractic adjustments and it was AWESOME.

Anway, it really really helped with the pain, among other things. I went in for several treatments. Before the treatments I had a fused vertebrae that had been broken when I was 10. It's not fused any more. That kind of stuff isn't supposed to be possible, but my back is way healthier than it has been at any other point in my life so I'm a believer. I also don't think it's a coincidence that my daughter was conceived, on birth control, a week after my first treatment after we'd tried for months with nothing. lol

The needles feel rad too. It feels like there's a marble under your skin where the needle goes in.

kady05

you'd be better off going to someone more experienced with nutrition.

Especially if you have a bunch of symptoms, I'd definitely start googling how nutrition can affect them.

Acupuncture is def worth a try though, it just may not be a long term solution.
That's probably not a bad idea either. I eat fairly well (for a 24yr. old); don't drink ever, don't smoke, eat fast food maybe.. once every few months, no soda, etc. But I'm sure I could use something more in my system.

Acupuncture is awesome. I was having a really hard time overall, but especially with my back. I went to a Chinese doctor and they did moxibustion, massage, craniosacro therapy, and accupuncture. At the very end the main doctor dude did some kung fu type chiropractic adjustments and it was AWESOME.

Anway, it really really helped with the pain, among other things. I went in for several treatments. Before the treatments I had a fused vertebrae that had been broken when I was 10. It's not fused any more. That kind of stuff isn't supposed to be possible, but my back is way healthier than it has been at any other point in my life so I'm a believer. I also don't think it's a coincidence that my daughter was conceived, on birth control, a week after my first treatment after we'd tried for months with nothing. lol

The needles feel rad too. It feels like there's a marble under your skin where the needle goes in.
Good to hear it worked so well for you! I'm sitting here in so much pain right now.. my legs are just awful (we've been having a TON of rain and that never helps joint issues). I'm to the point where even if it doesn't help my hair, maybe it'll help something else!

kady05

Have you been tested for an auto immune disorder?
Actually, yes, I have a positive ANA for Lupus. I'm being followed by a Dr. for that now (go to see her at the end of this month). Some people test positive and don't actually have it though.. we're still in the "figure this out" phase currently. I haven't seen her in 6 months so it'll be interesting to see what she thinks.

puppydog

Tru evil has no pantyline
Ask for a definitive test. Hair loss was one of my mothers symptoms when she was first diagnosed with Sjogrens. The sooner you get treatment the better.

kady05

Ask for a definitive test. Hair loss was one of my mothers symptoms when she was first diagnosed with Sjogrens. The sooner you get treatment the better.
I'm *pretty* sure they've tested me for that.. I'd have to look back at my lab work to be sure. But the name sounds familiar.

puppydog

Good thing. You, as the patient, have a right to be in control of your treatment.

kady05

Good thing. You, as the patient, have a right to be in control of your treatment.
I know, that's what frustrates me when the Drs. kind of blow me off. "Oh, you have all of these weird symptoms for someone your age.. hmm.. well, nothing shows in your lab work so, see you in 6 months!" :mad:

puppydog

I don't blame you for being frustrated!! I would be super angry in your shoes.

Dreeza

That's probably not a bad idea either. I eat fairly well (for a 24yr. old); don't drink ever, don't smoke, eat fast food maybe.. once every few months, no soda, etc. But I'm sure I could use something more in my system.
Definitely a GREAT start, but there is a TON more to it than that. Some people maybe sensitive to additives/chemicals that are found in commonly thought of as 'healthy' foods. Some may be sensitive to the pesticides on non-organic veggies (so, eating really healthy without realizing the exposure) Some people react to glutens/wheats/dairy, or some odd combos of foods. Other people may eat really healthy, but for whatever reason not have the right bacteria in their gut....and those symptoms can manifest in a bajillion different ways (even without GI problems).

Nutrition is incredibly, incredibly complicated, hard to study & hard to find someone decent to help you with. It also takes TIME to see results.

There are certain diets out there that basically cut everything out for a period of time to determine if your diet is affecting you...and then from there add things back in.

kady05

Definitely a GREAT start, but there is a TON more to it than that. Some people maybe sensitive to additives/chemicals that are found in commonly thought of as 'healthy' foods. Some may be sensitive to the pesticides on non-organic veggies (so, eating really healthy without realizing the exposure) Some people react to glutens/wheats/dairy, or some odd combos of foods. Other people may eat really healthy, but for whatever reason not have the right bacteria in their gut....and those symptoms can manifest in a bajillion different ways (even without GI problems).

Nutrition is incredibly, incredibly complicated, hard to study & hard to find someone decent to help you with. It also takes TIME to see results.

There are certain diets out there that basically cut everything out for a period of time to determine if your diet is affecting you...and then from there add things back in.
I just need a personal chef and someone to say "Okay eat this at this time, this at that time.." and so fourth LOL.

Members online

No members online now.