Returning a dog to the breeder - Questions/Rant

Miakoda

He's a puppy. I'm not sure why people look at a 4/5 month old pup and assume that the dog will be the same at 2 years of age. Or that the dog at 2 years of age will be the same at 5 years of age.

Dogs go through stages in their maturation and development. Just because a dog is all lovey-dovey at 5 months doesn't mean that at 10 months he'll be the same. Most likely you'll have the ornery "teenager" that requires a "why should I" explanation for each and every thing.

I can't wait until I get my next Fila. It's been a long wait and a lot of having to put off dogs "now" so that I can make sure that my home is properly settled and everything is ready.

As fort solitary bathroom time, I haven't had that in a looooong time (even before my human kiddos...lol). My Rottie was determined to poke her head behind the shower curtain and watch. My Dogo would lie by the door and make sure I was safe. My Fila practically showered with me. My Cane Corso/Mastiff would be in the same room, but not necessarily wanting to be right next to me. And the APBTs....well, they just constantly stay amused at how water can come out of the wall.

I've never owned a mastiff/moloss breed that wasn't extremely devoted to me. But devotion did not equal completely dependent and soft. While my Fila wanted in my lap at rest times, my Shar Pei/Corso preferred to be in the room but not necessarily next to me unless it was his idea. My Dogo also preferred to be in the same room, but was much more of a guardian dog in that he took his place next to the door or a window for look-out duty.

Even so, I've always found that working with those dogs was more like having a two-way conversation instead of me just telling and them just listening. What I was saying had to make sense to them. Sometimes, especially with Wrigley, they thought I was wrong and continued to do things their way. It's like you could see them listening, thinking it over, and then saying "Nope. Not doing that. Kthanksbye.". One thing they were not were blind followers. My APBTs will do anything and everything I tell them to do just because it came out my mouth (or was signaled by hand). Not the others. I had to make sure that they realized I was ALWAYS the smarter one and the one in charge or else they would steal that role right out from underneath me (which happens in far too many ownership cases IMO).

So, IMO, the moral of the story is that such a young pup is just a pup trying to form a bond and figure out to whom he belongs. And IMO just because a dog shows devototion and affection, doesn't mean he's weak, soft, or lacking confidence.

Having these dogs isn't supposed to equal some cool power trip.

Get the pup back to his breeder. I can't imagine a breeder wanting a pup in a home that doesn't care for it and is outspoken in it's disdain for having to even do the basics such as feed it and take it out. I just pray that such an emotional neglect doesn't lead to problems later on. It did in my rescue girl and she was never the same. She paid the ultimate price because of how her previous owners neglected her in every way possible. These dogs have memories like elephants. They don't forget.

An owner owes a dog so much more. So very much more.

JMO as always.

RD

Are you dead yet?
I need my dog to never leave my side. That little guy sounds perfect for me! Funny how we all want something a little bit different in a four-legged friend.

Teal

...ice road...
He's a puppy. I'm not sure why people look at a 4/5 month old pup and assume that the dog will be the same at 2 years of age. Or that the dog at 2 years of age will be the same at 5 years of age.

Dogs go through stages in their maturation and development. Just because a dog is all lovey-dovey at 5 months doesn't mean that at 10 months he'll be the same. Most likely you'll have the ornery "teenager" that requires a "why should I" explanation for each and every thing.

I can't wait until I get my next Fila. It's been a long wait and a lot of having to put off dogs "now" so that I can make sure that my home is properly settled and everything is ready.

As fort solitary bathroom time, I haven't had that in a looooong time (even before my human kiddos...lol). My Rottie was determined to poke her head behind the shower curtain and watch. My Dogo would lie by the door and make sure I was safe. My Fila practically showered with me. My Cane Corso/Mastiff would be in the same room, but not necessarily wanting to be right next to me. And the APBTs....well, they just constantly stay amused at how water can come out of the wall.

I've never owned a mastiff/moloss breed that wasn't extremely devoted to me. But devotion did not equal completely dependent and soft. While my Fila wanted in my lap at rest times, my Shar Pei/Corso preferred to be in the room but not necessarily next to me unless it was his idea. My Dogo also preferred to be in the same room, but was much more of a guardian dog in that he took his place next to the door or a window for look-out duty.

Even so, I've always found that working with those dogs was more like having a two-way conversation instead of me just telling and them just listening. What I was saying had to make sense to them. Sometimes, especially with Wrigley, they thought I was wrong and continued to do things their way. It's like you could see them listening, thinking it over, and then saying "Nope. Not doing that. Kthanksbye.". One thing they were not were blind followers. My APBTs will do anything and everything I tell them to do just because it came out my mouth (or was signaled by hand). Not the others. I had to make sure that they realized I was ALWAYS the smarter one and the one in charge or else they would steal that role right out from underneath me (which happens in far too many ownership cases IMO).

So, IMO, the moral of the story is that such a young pup is just a pup trying to form a bond and figure out to whom he belongs. And IMO just because a dog shows devototion and affection, doesn't mean he's weak, soft, or lacking confidence.

Having these dogs isn't supposed to equal some cool power trip.

Get the pup back to his breeder. I can't imagine a breeder wanting a pup in a home that doesn't care for it and is outspoken in it's disdain for having to even do the basics such as feed it and take it out. I just pray that such an emotional neglect doesn't lead to problems later on. It did in my rescue girl and she was never the same. She paid the ultimate price because of how her previous owners neglected her in every way possible. These dogs have memories like elephants. They don't forget.

An owner owes a dog so much more. So very much more.

JMO as always.

I am appalled that you are implying I neglected him in any way. You can see in his pictures that he is in NO way neglected, physically or emotionally - he is just not the type of dog for me.

I really don't understand WHY that is such a hard issue for yall to grasp. I guess that's what I get for seeking advice on something I don't have any experience with (trying to return a dog to a breeder)... it turns into a man hunt, and suddenly I am an inept and neglectful owner. THAT is just awesome.

Labyrinth

Sounds so much like what I'd like in a dog it's almost got me wanting one someday in the distant future. In the long run though if it's not the right dog for you, it's just not the right dog. I agree that the pup is better off going back to the breeder than staying in a home where he doesn't fit in.

Teal

...ice road...
In case anyone read the original **** thread, but missed this small detail- I NEVER asked if the dog should go back to the breeder or not.

My decision already was to return the dog to the breeder, who refused to get in touch with me for over a week after she was supposed to call me back. My questions were about options I had when I couldn't get in touch with her - but mostly it was to just rant my frustration over the situation.

Just because the dog didn't fit, doesn't mean I didn't like him. He is a great boy, and I wanted him to be returned as soon as possible so he can start looking for the right home for him as soon as possible. I've got a heart - I'm not some cold jerk. I feel terrible for how everything went.

I don't know why it surprises me that people would take this opportunity to burn me on a stake... but that's what people on forums do. I've had a lot of scrutiny against me, but I've never received this level of hostility for something that really doesn't deserve it. I returned a dog to his breeder that wasn't the right dog for me... where did I go wrong with that?

Labyrinth

In case anyone read the original **** thread, but missed this small detail- I NEVER asked if the dog should go back to the breeder or not.

My decision already was to return the dog to the breeder, who refused to get in touch with me for over a week after she was supposed to call me back. My questions were about options I had when I couldn't get in touch with her - but mostly it was to just rant my frustration over the situation.

Just because the dog didn't fit, doesn't mean I didn't like him. He is a great boy, and I wanted him to be returned as soon as possible so he can start looking for the right home for him as soon as possible. I've got a heart - I'm not some cold jerk. I feel terrible for how everything went.

I don't know why it surprises me that people would take this opportunity to burn me on a stake... but that's what people on forums do. I've had a lot of scrutiny against me, but I've never received this level of hostility for something that really doesn't deserve it. I returned a dog to his breeder that wasn't the right dog for me... where did I go wrong with that?
I personally wasn't trying to be hostile at all. I was actually trying to be supportive. Like the other poster said, we don't all want the same things in dogs. Just because several of us mentioned that we would like a dog that behaved that way, doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the fact that you don't feel the same way. I think it's a sad situation for any dog to be uprooted from what they've started to know as their home, but in the long run it's better than being kept where they don't belong.

Teal

...ice road...
I personally wasn't trying to be hostile at all. I was actually trying to be supportive. Like the other poster said, we don't all want the same things in dogs. Just because several of us mentioned that we would like a dog that behaved that way, doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the fact that you don't feel the same way. I think it's a sad situation for any dog to be uprooted from what they've started to know as their home, but in the long run it's better than being kept where they don't belong.

Yes, it's sad. But that is no reason for someone to say I neglected the dog, or to imply that I am a bad owner. It's not as if I am overjoyed or have no strong emotions on the situation - I feel just as bad as the rest of you. It's not emotionally easy to give up a dog - and then to have everyone jump on my case about it. Dogs are incredibly adaptable... I have no doubts the dog will be just fine.

Now that he has been returned to his breeder, this thread is pointless. I don't need any more posts telling me how horrible I am for it all. Thanks.

JessLough

Love My Mutt

I am appalled that you are implying I neglected him in any way. You can see in his pictures that he is in NO way neglected, physically or emotionally - he is just not the type of dog for me. ]

Maybe the implying from things you have said in other posts in this thread.

I am doing my best to give the dog at least basic care - but without giving the full details on the dog it's tough to explain just how hard it is to do anything with this animal.
this dog, is the EXACT opposite and even the smallest interactions with it are hell
However, it is throwing my house into chaos to have the dog here and the dog is not getting the attention and training it needs because, quite frankly, I want the poor dog gone.
If the dog is not getting the attention and training it needs... if you are doing the absolute bare minimum and basic needs... yes, to many of us, you ARE neglecting the dog.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I hope this is a lesson to everyone to think carefully about and take seriously the words of those who *know* their breed.

People often acquire dogs with unrealistic expectations. People buy dogs and expect borders not to herd, and expect labs not to swim, chew, and play, and expect malinois not to be monsters, and so on.

Being more careful in the buying process will prevent puppies from bonding then being pulled away at a vital growth stage.

Jules

Magic, motherf@%$*#!
Well, all this thread did, was give me a major case of puppy fever. I can't get a wrinkly puppy out of my head who follows me around constantly :)

WANT. WANT. WANT. :rofl1:

B

Backward_Cinderella

Well, all this thread did, was give me a major case of puppy fever. I can't get a wrinkly puppy out of my head who follows me around constantly :)

WANT. WANT. WANT. :rofl1:
THIS. This whole thread has made me WANT a Fila!!! Completely outside the point of the thread, but its true.
Good luck to the little Fila boy. I hope things are easier for you in your home now. :)

Ivy

I'll take him if the breeder doesn't want him back ;)

Good luck with the predicament you found yourself in. I'm sure it will work out in the end.

monkeys23

I hope this is a lesson to everyone to think carefully about and take seriously the words of those who *know* their breed.

People often acquire dogs with unrealistic expectations. People buy dogs and expect borders not to herd, and expect labs not to swim, chew, and play, and expect malinois not to be monsters, and so on.

Being more careful in the buying process will prevent puppies from bonding then being pulled away at a vital growth stage.
I agree, but I would like to add to the breed expectations..... People need to not buy Northern breeds because they are pretty and then be surprised and horrified to find out they are NOT Labs and eat your house when they get bored and will RUN at the first given opportunity. Or eat your cat, chickens, rabbit, etc. etc. after being left alone with it all the time because oh if you raise them with them they will be fine.... riiiiiiiight because prey drive isn't genetic. :rolleyes:
Most pet owners aren't gonna run a dog five miles a day and have the patience to build a working relationship with that Northern breed brain in order to stimulate them mentally... all the exercise in the world isn't gonna help if their brains aren't worked too.

They are working dogs and don't do well in pet homes. I ended up with a second because some well meaning lady liked my dog and went and got her own. Yes I took her with the intention of finding her a home, but realistically..... she will always be safest and happiest with me. Considering how unlucky the rest of the dogs from that bust were I owe it to her.

Most homes are not capable of handling a Siberian husky, Alaskan sled dog, or other Northern breed dogs. This includes show line sibes... dear god have I seen some train wrecks with pet owners ruining good dogs and setting them up to fail. I'm really sick of seeing these dogs screwed over by pet owners.

End rant.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
A LOT of members on this board have rehomed dogs they couldn't, or wouldn't handle. A LOT of well respected members at that.

Sh1t happens, at least she is being honest and truthful instead of doing it on the sly.

All the best research in the world doesn't always mean you get what you expect. Even in the most predictable of breeds.

Yes I'd LOVE that quality in a dog, but she would be more neglectful to keep it and resent it than act now. Not everyone is ruled by their heart and big soppy brown eyes.

I am, for the record ;)

NicoleLJ

PSD Partner
I agree, but I would like to add to the breed expectations..... People need to not buy Northern breeds because they are pretty and then be surprised and horrified to find out they are NOT Labs and eat your house when they get bored and will RUN at the first given opportunity. Or eat your cat, chickens, rabbit, etc. etc. after being left alone with it all the time because oh if you raise them with them they will be fine.... riiiiiiiight because prey drive isn't genetic. :rolleyes:
Most pet owners aren't gonna run a dog five miles a day and have the patience to build a working relationship with that Northern breed brain in order to stimulate them mentally... all the exercise in the world isn't gonna help if their brains aren't worked too.

They are working dogs and don't do well in pet homes. I ended up with a second because some well meaning lady liked my dog and went and got her own. Yes I took her with the intention of finding her a home, but realistically..... she will always be safest and happiest with me. Considering how unlucky the rest of the dogs from that bust were I owe it to her.

Most homes are not capable of handling a Siberian husky, Alaskan sled dog, or other Northern breed dogs. This includes show line sibes... dear god have I seen some train wrecks with pet owners ruining good dogs and setting them up to fail. I'm really sick of seeing these dogs screwed over by pet owners.

End rant.
THis is so good it has to be repeated. Doug LOVES the LOOK of huskies. He adores them. Always wanted one. BUT as I got to know him I learned that what he likes in a dogs character is not what a husky is. So I kept telling him "no this is not what you want. Trust me." What he wanted was a husky with a German Shepherd personality like Sheena. He just could not figure out that each breed is an indiviual and though you may love the look the breed personality may not fit you. He just was not convinced so we got Luna who is a mix of a husky, GSD and lab. Though lab was dominant in her looks her personality is a lot more husky. He loves Luna but he now sees that though he may love the look of the breed he will never agian own a husky. Nothing agianst the breed. They are gorgeous dogs, very smart, very strong and so on. But they require a certian type of owner. I have worked with the breed before so training Luna has not been to difficult. But Doug has a hard time dealing with the fact that Luna will never be a Sheena. He has learned that he has to look at the total dog and not the looks when determining the type of breed he wants. Sometimes that is what it takes for someone to realize it. And like I said he loves Luna. He looks forward to teaching her to pull a sled and wagon, to taking her for runs with his bike and so on.

Maybe the implying from things you have said in other posts in this thread.

If the dog is not getting the attention and training it needs... if you are doing the absolute bare minimum and basic needs... yes, to many of us, you ARE neglecting the dog.
Exactly. I was going to Pull up the same quotes. You may have just been way over dramatic but you implied you could barely even give him any care or attention. You may not know how to work with this dog but you made him sound vicious in your first posts. And the way you responded to people trying to help you find the address was really appauling, you hav received opinions and advice - what you requested and have picked all of the negative things out of posts. I don't get it.

Miakoda

I agree that returning the dog is the best and most responsible course if action. I never said nor implied otherwise.

But when one's home is nothing but a revolving door, then I think that other issues should be addressed before acquiring another puppy-of-the-month.

And I did infer that the dog was being ignored snd possibly shut away from almost all human interaction except that which was/is negative interaction. And whole a person has a pup/dog in their possession, they owe it to such animal to do more than dump food and water at it's feet. Especially a puppy who's whole foundation is being carved out during these time. It's not fair to ruin the dog for it's future owner.

Members online

No members online now.