All this talk about Dachshunds...

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
... got me to thinking...

My entire family (extended family) has dachshunds or has had dachshunds and I always LOVE them. My father grew up with his two favorite dogs- a dachshund (Weenie- I kid you not) and a dachshund/collie (Duchess) as well as his gundogs. They both lived to a ripe old age and I always hear stories from him about those two dogs.

Anyways, are standard dachshunds just not popular anymore? I was so used to seeing the standards and now I only know minis...

Does no one have standard dachshunds these days?

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
My step dad's family has them and my mom hates them.

I like them but I dont know if I would own one.
Lovely little dogs though.

Juicy

I have a mini...my neighbor's have a standard, but its been bred so many times its in horrible condition.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
The only time I have seen them is at shows. Ive shown all coat types in minis but I have never had the opportunity with a standard. They arent that popular even in the show ring

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
The fact that a doxie could weigh almost double what Izzy weighs and still be in standard boggles my mind.

Tazwell

There's a few around here, I see them sometimes at Petsmart (where I work.) But I'd say 90% of them that come in are miniatures! Gina's a mini dachshund.

I wonder if they have a different personality. All the standards I've ever seen seem to be more laid back, or aloof-like.

I have two standards (And 5 minis).

Meet Elliot (Standard red, 7 years old/8 in September):

and Cartman(Standard dapple red. 6 years old/7 in July):

As for personality. Elliot LOVES cats, and small critters. He thinks he is any kittens mother. He is a gentle, sweet boy who is very friendly and good with any person.

Cartman is a goofy, funny man. Hes a whiner, he has major separation anxiety. Is is very athletic and lean. He loves doing anything outdoorsy..Loves walks, loves car rides. He is also a very sweet little guy. He loves any person, and gets along with any other animal.

We also had another standard, Hannah. She was a biter,and very aggressive. She bit all my friends, she bit old ladies...up until her last few months, when she became senial, she was an aggressive girl. She was a MAJOR kitten killer. She killed quite a few kittens in her time. And she would kill any small animal. But she was a sweet girl when it came to her family, and always had a liking for me. (My mom got her when I was 2)

Kind of embarassed, I wouldn't know the difference between a standard and a mini if I saw one. There was one at the UKC show I was at last weekend. He was kind of a chocolatey dapple color. Very pretty.

elegy

overdogged
I can't tell you the last time I saw a standard. We see tons and tons of minis at the vet clinic where I work. Some are really nice, some are really not. We have this old one with no teeth- she's like 12 or something- who is the nicest dog. I just love her to pieces.

SmexyPibble

Blow. Me. Away.
Minis are more popular to own now, I guess. I used to have one, but she died at 18 of breast cancer. She was a rescue and we only had her for about a month before she passed. They are wonderful dogs, though, and I hope to own one again someday.

Members online

No members online now.