Horses

Y

yuckaduck

Saje I was not implying that you said anything just sharing a bad experience that I had. I just don't want someone else to make the same mistakes I made. I thought that was the point to learn from each other. Talking to people is the best way, stables friends, trainers, farriers, vets......the list goes on and on. Most vet clinics can guide you were to go to get what you want too. But first things first, is this going to be a pleasure horse or a show horse. Makes a big difference when buying. You said you wanted a male yet one of the horses you liked was a female. Does it really matter to you? If you get a male is it going to be a stallion or a gelding? Big difference there too. If it is your first horse then for sure I would stay away from the stallion avenue. If it is not going to show then you can probably get a real nice horse for alot less money and there will be nothing wrong with it. Do you want purebred? Or is a crossbred ok? How a bout a grade horse? So many things to consider. Age? You said 2-4, 2 year olds are not fully trained, Can you finish the training? It is not always easy to do. I'm not trying to discourage anything here, I for one thing it is a shame that every person on earth doesn't have the pleasure of a horse. But they cost a lot of money and they are a big responsibility. If your ready then great, good luck. I will give my opinion anytime you ask however in the end since the horse will be yours it is a decision only you can make. And big YES on the drug issue it happens a lot. I know here in Canada the horses have to be tested before going to the salesbarn, but it does still happen. I know friends who bought a quarter horse to show and they were experienced horse people and it was drugged. They bought it for big bucks and sold it the next year for meat because the horse was a complete nut case. So you have to be so careful. I also know be careful which vet you chose, here the stables grease the vets palm to say the horse would be perfect just to get a sale. I witness this with a horse bought for jumping, his xrays were not good, but right in front of me the vet lied and said he was sound and it would be a perfect match. HUH? It ain't sold, I worked at that stable and was promptly fired because I could not lie. So many stories and so much information is available. Do your research period! You can even hire horse brokers who will find two or three horses that match what you are looking for and then your research part is done for you, but again careful that stables have not greased there palms.

Dakotah_2009

OOO YEA SHHHAKE IT!!
My dad has been around horses ALL his life, he knows how to train and take care of them, etc. I want a good male Paint Horse, thats no more than $3000. Thanks for everyones advice, and I will look at the website you gave me yuckaduck.

Dakotah_2009

OOO YEA SHHHAKE IT!!
Yucka that website that you gave me about Bucks Horses and Minis, is about 2 hours away from where I live!! Thanks a lot Yucka, you're the best!!!

Y

yuckaduck

I try hard and I know there you will be told the truth and not lead astray. Good luck and I am very happy you have a dad who knows about training so you should have no problems. Eliminates some of the questions and you did say male so that would be a stallion or a gelding so that makes it easier too. Pleasure or show? Oh well that website I gave you has super good quality, I just adore there foundation Stallion he was exactly what the paint breed was meant to be. Good Luck will help anytime.

Y

yuckaduck

That is the most fun ever and I'm happy for you. Should be able to find one and for less than $3000 too. Ask at bucks, apints and minis he has alot and they are well bred so you will have very little to no health problems. Good Luck
Keep us posted!

Y

yuckaduck

Good choices however be careful because pet finders has been knowen to deal with puppy mills so I can only assume that there horse dealings are abit shabby.

Y

yuckaduck

Be careful going for the pony route as well how big are you? They tend to be prone to sore backs espically the paints if you are to big. I would never want you to buy something and then it can't do what you want. So the second horse is a maybe but try to get more information on it. Size training to date. Because it says ready to work for you, but is she trained and what kind of work? The other three are nice but it is the size that would scare me but then I'm 180 pounds myself too. So that is abit on the big side for a pony. If you need information but don't know what to ask I can get info for you if you want. It will be your greatest joy to have a horse, my only concern is that you get the right horse. Is your dad able to train a cutting horse? Do you have something to cut with a cutting horse? They enjoy there work so I'm just wondering why you want a cutting horse? Not trying to be mean or discourage you at all just if I have more information than I can advise better for you.

Y

yuckaduck

I am sorry I just looked at the pedigree of the second horse, stay away from that horse. It's inbreed, father is also grandfather. This was probably and accidental breeding and in most cases they have hereditary problems associated with inbreeding. Not always but most. Stay away from that horse please.

Since it sounds like you're looking more for a pleasure ride than anything I'd go for a gelding rather than a stallion. They're a lot quieter and easier to handle and manage especially if this is going to be your first horse. Actually between stallions, geldings, and mares, geldings are my favourite!

Y

yuckaduck

oc_spirit said:
Since it sounds like you're looking more for a pleasure ride than anything I'd go for a gelding rather than a stallion. They're a lot quieter and easier to handle and manage especially if this is going to be your first horse. Actually between stallions, geldings, and mares, geldings are my favourite!
Me too no coming into heat, no breeding thoughts. Geldings are by far the best espically for a beginner even if the dad has experience.

Dakotah_2009

OOO YEA SHHHAKE IT!!
Y

yuckaduck

The first one says sold so I guess your choices are narrowed down for you already. Nice looking quarter horse, not broke yet though for$2000 and not anything special in the bloodlines. Expensive.

Members online

No members online now.