Shipping Puppy

Hi. I am getting a Maltipoo Puppy Shipped to me on Continental and she is arriving on Thursday. Any tips out there for me on her care the day I get her? I've heard to give her honey to increase her blood sugar.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
Why would you need to increase her blood sugar. a healthy puppie will be fine if they dont get fed for 6hrs because of a flight.

try a bit of karo syrup...

i had a toy poodle puppy shipped to me and we used karo syrup.

You may also want to add a small amount to the puppies water for a few days.

Good Luck and if you have any other questions let me know, I also used continental.

Elissa

Oh a few more things...lol

1. If the trip to the airport is long, you may want to bring some food in the car.

2. Make sure you take the dog to the bathroom before you leave the airport, as soon we you have a chance. (As soon as I took my puppy out of the crate, she pooped in my arms.. she isnt big on first impressions:p )

3. Bring something confortable for the dog to lay on, on the way home...they probably were not very comfortable on their trip.

4. The puppy has been in the crate a long time, if you are far from home, allow the puppy to walk around a little and stretch their legs before getting in the car.

5. Give the puppy LOTS and LOTS of love and allow them time to adjust to their new surroundings.

Again... Good Luck

Elissa

bubbatd

I wish you good luck !!! How old is the pup and how long the trip ??

She just wanted some advice on care she should give a dog after it has been shipped via airline to her.

Ugh!

pup-man

Permanent Troll
I like using Nutri-Cal....keep it handy all the time. I agree with PoodleMommy's suggestions.

stevinski

Int CH - $uperBitch
i shipped harley,
not far but still lol
we lines his crate with soft pet carpet,
we gave him one chew toy and one cuddle toy
one huge tip i would give you is, instead of a water bowl get a water bottle, because many airlines will only ship insisting the dog has sufficient food and water!
many people foolishly put a water bowl which will normally spill and make the dog wet and uncomfortable, use a bottle and the dog will soon realise how to use it.
also put bungie courds from the door round the back and back to the door so it cant open, i only say this because sometimes air staff are tempted to open and pet the puppy and if a dog gets loose on the runway it WILL be shot.
the bungie courds just help prevent this.
also get lots of live animal signs from your pet store or airport.
and lots of arrow signs!
and put a sign on with your fone number and destination!

hope he has a great trip!!
and enjoy him!

Thank you all for your responses. It is very helpful and I am glad I found this forum before I get my little one. To answer your questions, she is coming from Missouri and going to New York and she is 9 weeks old.

PoodleMommy suggests taking the dog to the bathroom before I leave the airport. Would you suggest that I take her out on the grass outside the airport before getting to the car?

Thanks so much again!

Last edited:

bubbatd

Have rules changed.??? I couldn't ship my pups until they were 12 weeks old. Good luck !!! Tomorrow !!!!! And yes... defiantly potty and walk the baby before the car ride.... I'd have a halter for her, as pups do tend to back out of collars. Let us know with pictures !!!

When I picked Sophie up I brought with me her new collar (I had her breeder measure her for size the day she left Australia), leash, bottled water (1 cold for drinking and 1 warm to clean her if she had an accident during the last part of her flight), some food for her, paper towels, clean fleece blanket for her trip home and my camera.
Often when pups are shipped by air, their ears need cleaning so I'd be sure to have proper solution ready at home.
Of course, make sure she gets plenty of opportunity to take potty breaks and drink.

Members online