doggy nails

my boxers' nails are very sharp! We were playing on the floor today and she scratched my face. i have an awful scratch from my forehead down to my neck. I try to clip their nails but my male is very stubborn and won't let me. does anyone have some advice?

RD

Are you dead yet?
I love this site, and her advice for getting the dog accustomed to the dremel can be tweaked a bit and used to get the dog comfortable with clippers as well.
http://www.homepages.udayton.edu/~merenski/ doberdawn/dremel/dremel.html

If they still really don't like it, would you consider using a nail grinder? Some dogs, especially those with very hard nails, find clipping painful because you have to squeeze so hard on the nail to get clippers through it. Grinding is usually more comfortable if you do it right.

I have the same problem with Adrienne. She just wont sit still, so I give her a chew bone to chew on and she forgets that Im trimming her nails.

Athebeau

What we do for dogs or puppies that despise having their nails clipped is to blow in their nose.:) What is helpful is to have someone hold your pup like a baby so you have access to all the paws... talk to the pup in a cheerful voice and blow in the nose and snip....blow snip...do a few nails put the pup down, play and make it fun...then pick the pup up again have a friend hold the pup blow and clip.

We use this technique on new pups/dogs in for grooming. It works like a charm for us. You also have the added bonus of being able to slowly desensitize your pup. When I took in my feral Dobe, you couldn't get near his paws...he would not let anyone touch them. So, I would lay down with him, rub his belly, massage his back..go down his legs when he got antsy I went back up his legs but did not remove my hand. It took a few days to build his trust and now when he sees the nail clippers he thinks "belly rub time!!!":)

Don't go about it like a chore, go about it like it's going to be fun.

everyone gave all the advice already, so I'd just like to add one more thing. if none of those ways work, you could ask your vet or groomer to do it.

Twilight

Boxer Rescue
your vet will clip their nails if you havent done it before then id go to your vet or a professional groomer if you do it wrong you could cut the quick and they will bleed really badly

it is very cheap too and only takes 5 minutes for them to do it

Members online

No members online now.