Help!!!!!

staffy

My wife and I have a 3yr old male Amstaff. He truely is the best dog as we have heard from other people. Anyway with in the last 2-3 months he has been marking in the house. Either when we are at work or at night. He goes out to do his business regularly so it's not like he has to go, he's just lifting his leg to mark. He has never done this in the past, but now it's almost an everyday thing. what is going on?? Please help, we've had it!!! :confused:

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Just a guess, but maybe it's because he's just hit full maturity. Larger dogs usually don't fully mature until 2-3 years old. Is he neutered? If not, that will usually help the problem.

Sirius

Imagination ROCKS.
He might be smelling his pee on stuff and think that is it okay for him to go there. Clean it with an ammonnia cleaner so that he doesn't smell his mark anymore.

staffy

Believe me we CLEAN it, but it seems also he never goes in the same place twice. And it's not a lot of pee, just scenting on random things in the house, a chair, box on the floor, towel.

Doberluv

May I suggest that amonia may not be the best thing, as urine develops amonia as it sits and so the two smell somewhat alike. Nature's Miracle that you get at a bit pet store is very good and apparently masks the smell of the urine to the dogs, at least to a pretty good degree.

Neutered or not, no dog should be getting away with this, as it is probably a leadership issue. As much as I'm all for motivational/reward training methods, this is a behavior which I WILL tell the dog, "NO!!!!" And take him right outside. He is claiming ownership of your stuff and thinking he's all that. So, you have to let him know that it is YOUR stuff and that YOU have everything under control. He does not need to "carve his initials in the tree." What are your interactions like with this dog? What kind of training does he get? You may want to beef up the obedience training and impliment NILIF more to make sure he understands that it is YOU who control his resources and that you are taking care of things....he doesn't have to. http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/nothingfree.htm

You'll need to really watch him every second for a while....really try to prevent even one more marking episode.

Good luck.

fillyone

But please, call me Barb
Doberluv said:
May I suggest that amonia may not be the best thing, as urine develops amonia as it sits and so the two smell somewhat alike. Nature's Miracle that you get at a bit pet store is very good and apparently masks the smell of the urine to the dogs, at least to a pretty good degree.

Neutered or not, no dog should be getting away with this, as it is probably a leadership issue. As much as I'm all for motivational/reward training methods, this is a behavior which I WILL tell the dog, "NO!!!!" And take him right outside. He is claiming ownership of your stuff and thinking he's all that. So, you have to let him know that it is YOUR stuff and that YOU have everything under control. He does not need to "carve his initials in the tree." What are your interactions like with this dog? What kind of training does he get? You may want to beef up the obedience training and impliment NILIF more to make sure he understands that it is YOU who control his resources and that you are taking care of things....he doesn't have to. http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/nothingfree.htm

You'll need to really watch him every second for a while....really try to prevent even one more marking episode.

Good luck.
Nice post :D

staffy

Doberluv said:

Good luck.

Thanks a lot for the advice. I think you hit it right on the head. I think that is exactly what is going on. I think he thinks he is the boss. Things are going to change around my house. Thanks again...

Members online

No members online now.