"The Assistant"

Okay, you're probably wondering what the heck this post is going to be about because of the title!

Well, here's the thing. I am an Assistant to a couple. I go to their house and do a variety of things for them. Well, one of the things I'm to do is help with the dogs. This is great, as I love dogs!!!

They have one dog that is a few years old (a miniature schnauzer, very sweet she is!) and the other one is a new puppy. He's an Airesdale (sp?). He is very cute! And he's going to be a big boy!!!

Well, the schnauzer is a good girl, except for some reason she has issues going in the house sometimes, and of course, she doesn't like the puppy.

The puppy? Well, he's being crate trained, which I think is good. He likes his crate! He does seem to have a problem with biting, however. He will bite hands, clothes, whatever he can. He likes to try to eat leaves off of plants.
When he does these things I tell him NO!! The owners told me when he bites to put him in his crate. I know puppies bite and chew on everything, but his teeth are so sharp, and he seems to bite more than other puppies I've had experiences with.

Then the other day I had them outside, and a van was driving down the road. As soon as it passed the driveway, the puppy took off after it!!! They have a big yard and I ran after him and caught him. When I picked him up, though, he sure was angry!!! He was growling and trying to bite me and squirming trying to get me to put him down. I put him down when we were safely away from the road and then we went inside. I've noticed that he does this "fighting and biting" thing when he's doing something bad and I pick him up to remove him from whatever it is that's bad. I know picking him up is not a great idea, as soon I won't be able to. So I must learn how to get him away from the "danger" without doing this, and probably soon.

I've been reading the things on here about biting, and things to do and not to do, etc. And I've been reading about other "puppy things", too. I have no experience with that type of dog, so I'm researching them. (of course, anone who does have experience with his breed, please feel free to jump in with information! I will be more than happy to learn anything I can)

I think part of the problem is, I can't be inconsistant with the owners of the puppy. I do put him in his crate when he bites, after I tell him no. Yet I read some place that you shouldn't use their crate as punishment for them. It would be hard to anyway, if they like their crate, I would think! So is there anything else I can do in addition to this that could help?

Do you guys have any advice on what I could do that wouldn't interfere with what he is being taught, or mess him up and make him confused, but would allow me to help train him in some way? I am with the dogs between 3 and 5 days per week, for a few hours each day, minimum. (the puppy has only been with them a few weeks, and may be about 10 or 11 weeks old?) The owners have had many dogs over the years, so this isn't their first puppy, of course, and he isn't the first dog of this breed they've had, either (I didn;t know the other ones, though, as I've only been employed with them for just under a year).

I just want to help him be a good doggie and do what's best for him! (and the sweet little girl, too, if you can help me figure out how to get her to stop going in the house! I don't think they know how to, either.)

What would you guys want from someone who was helping with your dogs?
Does anyone have any advice regarding this situation? I do love dogs, and I am normally very good with them. Dogs and animals in general just seem drawn to me and they always like me for some reason. ( good judge of character? ;)) I guess this situation is just a new one for me and I really don't want to screw up!!! I communicate with the couple well enough, but I'm not sure how I would approach them, either, regarding any ideas or suggestions for things we can do, you know. To me it would be like telling someone how to parent their child. You just don't do that. People get offended, I think. So any suggestions on that would be good, too.

Anyway, thanks for reading this, and any advice you can offer me. I really appreciate it!!! If there is anything else you may need to know in order to help me, please just let me know.

Coffee...:)

lizzybeth727

The puppy mouthing is probably perfectly normal. And using the crate for a time out after he mouthes is ok - I'm sure he does like his crate, but I'm also sure he likes being around you guys more, so that's fine. It's not really a punishment, it's just a time out so that he can cool down and chill out. Telling him "no" when he bites is probably not going to do anything at all. What I would do, though, is just get up and leave him when he starts nipping. That way he learns that all play ends when he plays too rough.

As far as running after cars - obviously this is a very dangerous behavior that must not be allowed to happen. The only way to really deal with it with a 10 week old terrier is to have him on a leash or confided in a fence the whole time he's outside. You can use a long-line leash or retractible leash if you want to give him some room to run, but he must be under control, and training him to that extent will take at least several weeks, if not months, and some dogs will never get to that point.

And of course he was angry when you picked him up, you took all the fun away! Putting him on a leash will also prevent this behavior.

Let us know if you have any more questions!

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
Airdales cam be a tricky breed. They require an experianced owner. The growling when you pick him up is NOT ok. He sounds like he thinks he is top dog. He is a terrier and they can be tough to train as they are verry stubborn. He whont get to big. Airdales are not what I would consider a big dog.

bubbatd

I've only known 2 Airedales and both were giant terriors !! I love their looks , but not the attitude of the ones I met !

Thanks you guys! I think the most difficult thing might be that it's someone else's puppy, you know. I think things are a bit easier when it's your own puppy!

I certainly will ask more questions as I have them. The other dog is so sweet, and the one they had that passed away a couple months ago was a great dog, too. He was a Giant schnauzer, and he was such a good boy! I know the puppy is in a loving home with a loving family. (well, except the little girl dog. She does NOT like him! at least, not right now. She just sort of tolerates him, I think.)

Anyway, hopefully things will go along smoothly.

Puzzle

Members online

No members online now.