Not Good!! Vet Stay for a bit.... Poor Boy

LauraLeigh

Bolts is at the vets.... He has darted outside a couple of times when company has come over, so after the last trip (3 days ago) I decided time for the boys to go... and made an appointment for his neuter today.

Well, when he first got home, he was pretty matted from getting burrs into his long coat, and he was walking a bit funny, I thought it was all the burrs pulling on him as he had no visible injury, so I get my grooming tools and start working on his burrs... It became clear he was not going to let that happen, the burrs had matted tight to his skin, and he was really complaining, odd because he usually lets me work on him without complaint...

The next morning, day 2 I called the vet from work, and he said no biggie, when we fix him we'll remove the matted burrs while he is out. So I figure sure, that'll work!

When I get home that night, he still seems uncomfortable, but otherwise fine... He is into the vet the next morning for his neuter.

Next morning when I pick him up, he tries to Bite me:yikes: He has never, ever done that.... I notice his leg is swelling!!!! I realize something was terribly wrong and got him to the vet, forget the neuter, they sedate him and shave his leg, it has a teeny mark, a small puncture they think is from a possible fight. He is on iv antibiotics and doing ok, I should know more in the morning..

I feel like a darn idiot, I just thought he was uncomfortable from all the matted burrs on his hind legs and near his, ummm, parts.... I had no idea he was hurt....

From now on my door will be locked from the inside so no one accidently lets them out... I just hope he is ok:(

Hmmm . . . . Maybe "Bolts" wasn't such a good name since they seem to live up to the names we give them. Bolting out the door sure got the poor little guy in trouble that time.

Or wait . . . maybe not. It saved his jewels this time -- at least for now ;)

Hope he mends fast.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
THat is scary. My brother's dog got this vine that is covered with spines wrapped up in her fur and had some allergic reaction to it. Almost killed her. I sure hope Bolts heals quickly.

LauraLeigh

Thanks everyone, and too scary Smkie..... they sure like to scare us!

Hmmm . . . . Maybe "Bolts" wasn't such a good name since they seem to live up to the names we give them.
LOL... too true, he was named as a part of a set... Nuts n Bolts... But he would rather Bolt out the door, that be Bolted into place... LOL

Or wait . . . maybe not. It saved his jewels this time -- at least for now ;)
The vet actually was scratching his head (He is still loving and upbeat so long as you steer clear of his "Owie") and said, sheesh Bolts, awful hard way to keep 'em a bit longer... LOL

LauraLeigh

Just a quick update..... Bolts is doing great (Though he may not agree right this moment) and had the "planned" part of his vet care done today.... he is laying on the couch as I type not looking very pleased... LOL

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I am glad he is home. As soon as he recovers you can start. BEcause it
sounds like your where i was with Pepper a year ago. I don't envy you...there is a lot of training to do.

bubbatd

Glad that all's taken care of !! You never have a dull moment ! I hate mats ! Even with brushing mine would get neglected ones behind their ears which needed very fine cuticle scissors ..felt like a horrible Mommy !

Members online

No members online now.