Those thinking about a mal, cattle dog, or BC...

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Just thought I'd throw this out there: all of the rescues for the breeds in the topic line that I follow have been posting about being swamped recently. All are in desperate need of foster homes, including fosters for puppies. Now would be a perfect time to fill out a foster app and get some breed experience while helping a dog or two out in the process!

I know rescues are always in need of fosters but summer seems especially bad and I know these three breeds have some people on here interested in owning one in the future, so I figured I'd post.

Rescues I volunteer with:

Carolina ACD Rescue and Rebound
www.carolinasrescue.com
Serving ACDs in the Carolinas and SE region

American Belgian Malinois Club Rescue
www.malinoisrescue.org
Nationwide Mal rescue
**In desperate need of fosters in Florida (6 or 7 dogs waiting on space in FL alone!) especially, but could use fosters anywhere in the US right now

Rescue groups I'm familiar with:

Phoenix Rising BC Rescue

www.prbcr.org/
serving BCs in South Carolina primarily

Carolina Border Collie Rescue
http://cbcr.org/
serving BCs in North Carolina primarily

Starfish BC Rescue
www.starfishbcrescue.com/
serving BCs in FL primarily

Australian Cattle Dog Rescue Association
www.acdra.org/
East coast network for ACDs

Additional ACD Rescue groups: http://www.tvcattledogrescue.org/Links.html

crazedACD

There definitely seems to be more and more ACD and Border Collies popping up on the lists, and they aren't getting out in time :(. I did see that mal girl in the Miami shelter...crazy stuff.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
here in texas there has been a major influx of older owner surrenders, sometimes for no reason given :( i wish those ppl knew that those dogs hardly get out of the shelter unless someonee offeres to step foward, its too sad.

when i get into a position to foster of adopt again, it will be a senior, definately. they still have so much to give :(, its esp sad to see ACDs done like that, typically they arent a breed that handles abandonment well :( :(

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I want an ACD, and I LOOOOOVE the local ACD rescue here (it's where SaraB's Zuma is from). I so wish I could have one or foster and help. :(

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
I did some calling around today and found out that my fav local kennel will offer kennel space *free* to rescues if they have room, so it does make me wonder if more people asked if it would result in a few more dogs saved (i.e. they could go to boarding while a pending adoption is processed, then into foster from there). Might be worth contacting you local rescue of choice and seeing if something like that might help and if so, doing the calling so they don't have to...

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
We're seeing a lot of mal interest at my work, I try to weed through it with Backup & Sloan but for those not running for the hills I'd love some tri-folds or something, any idea if they have them?

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
I wish I was closer, I really would love to do some fostering for either breeds, especially the ACD. If you ever hear of a ACD or any other herding breeds that need a foster in the Alberta, BC region of Canada or even Montana closer to the BC and Alberta border, let me know and I will try my best :)

joce

I've thought of doing some straight of Craigslist interference as I see the same dogs up there after going through multiple homes. There is a cattle dog up there now I've toyed with. I just have three oldies right now and don't want to get a foster that may be here when it's that time like happened last time and the house is chaos.

And then I think would I want to possibly get stuck with another blitz anyway lol!

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Adrianne, I've emailed my contact and I'll let you know if she has any leads on handouts for you. :)

Hayley, you might want to email ACDRA to see who might be a good person to connect up with in your area for ACD rescue. That would be the surest way to stay in the loop!

Lyzelle

I wish they would let me foster. I know there are many rescues that need fosters, but they really are too picky for their own good, and the dogs suffer because of it. I tried fostering for a Malamute rescue, but one requirement is that your home needs to be bigger than 5000 sqft. And they were swamped with dozens of dogs. Over a hundred total, I believe.

Maybe it's because we are military, maybe it's because I'm 20. But I haven't found a rescue yet that will let me help out and foster.

Romy

Taxiderpy
I wish they would let me foster. I know there are many rescues that need fosters, but they really are too picky for their own good, and the dogs suffer because of it. I tried fostering for a Malamute rescue, but one requirement is that your home needs to be bigger than 5000 sqft. And they were swamped with dozens of dogs. Over a hundred total, I believe.

Maybe it's because we are military, maybe it's because I'm 20. But I haven't found a rescue yet that will let me help out and foster.
What! :eek: Are they looking only for rich people? That's like a mansion or something. I'd hate to see their adoption application.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Lyzelle, that's CRAZY! ABMCR doesn't require a fenced yard, let alone min sq ft in the house for *malinois* for pete's sake, and I haven't heard anything about other hard and fast rules, either. CACDRR is also pretty flexible on foster home requirements. Both do home visits.

Members online

No members online now.