Third time is the charm

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
THe top part of the totem was broken when they moved the sculpture from one area to another in Crown Center. So....here we go again. Can't have anything glued together that I worked that hard on. First the body is shaped to a proper torso, then it is hollowed out, then compressed hopefully evenly throughout the inside. THen a neck is gently pulled up and the head attached. Now is all a race for time, get the head done, the legs on, keeping it evenly wet, then letting it evenly dry. Hopefully it will end up about the same size as attempt one...the one that broke, attempt two which I dried to fast and it split in the race to do a better one before the auction. Look like anyone you know? THe lady that bought the totem works in the Hallmark office there. She has a rescued lab that is light in color. The dog was hit in the hips just like Ann and the Gabriel fund took care of her when she came in, the hip socket was removed, and the dog put up for adoption. This woman says you would never know, she runs and plays just fine. So wish us luck for a good completion. I do not want to make this dog a fourth time. This is the stickiest clay, I don't like it at all but it fires up the right color raw.

Last edited:

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I don't have to do this in a rush which is good. I am never ever good in a rush. Things get missed that I wish afterward were not. The only two things of importance about do overs is each one is better than the last and it goes a little quicker.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier

until tomorrow to let the legs set up a little. Then I will have to trim them down, figure out muscles
and add collar. I think I should take it in where the totem is to position the hole so the dog will sit
right on top. That will have to be done while it it is still wet.

I also want to ask her if she wants a full tail. I did a dock before because I was afraid if I put a tail straight up it would get broken in all the chaos of setting up for the auction. I could have it at a semi rest position and touching one leg for support if she likes. I will ask.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
5 artists worked together to creat a totem pole called Uplifted REcues to the art auction for the humane society ART UNLEASHED a couple years back.

I did all but one of the dogs. THe little dog second down was created by my friend Kelly Walsh.

It was purchased by a woman that works for Hallmark in the Crown Center offices. She had the totem in her office but had decided to move it to a more public place. Tho I had offered to help move it if ever the time came, they had some employees do this and the broke the leg of the top dog. It might have been my fault and it might not have, during the making of the dog there was a structural problem there that I thought i had fixed so I have offered to make it again rather than have a glued piece on top of something I put that much work in. So hopefully I will have this done in a day or so and a long drying and firing process.

I do not use glaze, that tends to fill in the detail. I let the raw clay create the final surface color. Thanks for asking! : )

Members online

No members online now.