Maxi Pad Saves Dog's Life

Bofinger

Atlanta, GA-02/08/10 – Feminine hygiene products just aren’t for women anymore, a dog can benefit too.

A suburban Atlanta couple learned that in case of an emergency, a maxi pad works just as well as any commercially available bandage does for a dog.

Early in the day, Bo Hoefinger’s owners dropped him off at their dog-sitters house while they ran errands for the day. Their dog, Bo, took the opportunity to explore the open meadow and run in the woods until he was exhausted. However, on this day things were going to take a turn from the norm.

“We didn’t notice anything wrong with him on the way homeâ€, Bo’s mother said, “but once we parked and let the dog out, we noticed a lot of blood in the car. “Bo was bleeding profusely and we needed to get him to the emergency vet immediatelyâ€, his father added.

His parents scoured the house to find something to put over their dog’s wound. “Before we set off to the hospital, we knew we’d need to stop the bleeding. Our First-Aid kit is poorly stocked, so we had to search the house to find something to put on the woundâ€, his mother said. “Just before I panicked, a moment of divine inspiration hit. I knew what we could use!â€

Bo’s mother ran upstairs and grabbed a maxi-pad, knowing that they’re more absorbent than the mini-ones. The dog was bandaged up and driven to the emergency vet hospital, where he was treated for his injury. The vet on duty said that if the dog had not been bandaged up with this unconventional “treatmentâ€, the story could have had a tragic ending.

This story is corroborated by Spot Magazine’s listing of things to have in an emergency kit for dogs: Item One - a maxi-pad. You still may not have ‘a happy period’, but your dog will thank you.

###

If you want more details on this story, and many others like it-from the dog’s perspective-get a copy of "Bad To The Bone: Memoir Of A Rebel Doggie Blogger" by Bo Hoefinger, the dog. A portion of the proceeds are donated to help rescue dogs.

Attachments

Romy

Taxiderpy
That's awesome! My dad would kill me if he knew I told people this :D but he always packs several maxi pads in the first aid kit when he goes hunting. They're sterile, and absorb way more blood than gauze pads.

Lolas Dad

Being the police are first on the scene for a first aid call they carry a few maxi pads in their first aid kit.

AGonzalez

Not a lurker
Hey, whatever works. They're absorbent, I don't see why the big stigma of "ohhh it's a pad" half the population has a period and has to deal with it in some way or another...welcome to nature.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I am so sorry your dog was hurt and glad that the family were quick thinkers. Guess i better put a couple in our er kit in the car. That is a very sad face. Prayers for a quick heal and then you can get rid of that dreaded e collar.

MicksMom

That's awesome! My dad would kill me if he knew I told people this :D but he always packs several maxi pads in the first aid kit when he goes hunting. They're sterile, and absorb way more blood than gauze pads.
I've had pads in the first aid kits in both our vehicles as well as the dog one for years.

Members online