Protective Dog breeds

bubbatd

My Goldens have always warned and had louds barks . Yet they never barked for the sense of barking . Years ago a friend of mine moved and was scared to death . I lent her my Rufus for a few nights and she slept well . If an intruder hears a loud bark I think they would take a hike . With a yippie dog , I don't think it would stop them . I personally like a dog that wouldn't attack .... they6 don't know that Goldens are pussycats ! They don't see the dog ....just hear the bark !

mrose_s

BusterLove
All our lot are protective in different ways.

Harry is all ACD, he would die protecting his people. We are his main concern.

Sophie was always more into protecting her property. She's a big bully pig dog mix. Sold as a bullmastiff/Boxer. She looks like she's got Dane, pointer etc etc in her. When she was ytounger, each night right on dusk she would patrol the boundry, check the entire fenceline before settling on the back verandah.

Mac is more a watchdog. She barks first, thinks later... terrier.

Buster is better at assessing situations, he checks what the other dogs are reacting to and decides if he needs to join in.

Everydog I've lived with has been "protective" to some point. Most were working dog mixes.

Paige

Let it be
Hmm... an older Cattle Dog may fit. THey usually aren't restricted at places but are tough as nails, do bark... and heck they look pretty darn intimidating (least I think so)

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Hmm... an older Cattle Dog may fit. THey usually aren't restricted at places but are tough as nails, do bark... and heck they look pretty darn intimidating (least I think so)
Really? Maybe it's my area, but they're always restricted here.

Paige

Let it be
Really? Maybe it's my area, but they're always restricted here.
Yupp. Only breeds I've ever seen restricted here though are the usual Pit Bulls, Rottis, Dobermans and German Shepards. Never goes beyond that. At least not where I've looked for housing.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Yupp. Only breeds I've ever seen restricted here though are the usual Pit Bulls, Rottis, Dobermans and German Shepards. Never goes beyond that. At least not where I've looked for housing.
Lucky. Depending on the complex we have some of the most random lists. The first are the usuals- rotts, dobes, gsds, pits... then usually right after is ACDs and Filas (or sometimes they just put down 'mastiffs'). They're getting more up on the guard breeds here, you often see akitas and Cane corsos on the list too. The one had keeshonds and bedlingtons banned, which seemed completely random. Huskies are usually banned and I've seen several with some of the hounds and coonhounds banned.

Really, the lists make no sense, so I'd definitely get yours before getting a dog. The place I'm in now only has the rotts, dobes, pit bulls, and GSDs restricted.

Also, think about in case you have to move. Don't get something that your apartment may allow but no others do. I could technically get a mastiff where I live now, but if for some reason I had to move with a dog over 65 lbs, I couldn't find a place to live in that town. Under 65 lbs is no real problem. So definitely familiarize yourself with the local apartment complexes and their rules.

drmom777

Bloody but Unbowed
This may seem totally random, but when we lived in Cambridge. Mass, we lived in a building with wooden fire escapes that people kept using to break in--except on out floor. I had a 10" tall, very heavy boned, broad chested Scottie that barked like a GSD. No one ever touched our apartment or the one behind us. The woman who lived there LOVED our Scottie.

Any of the bigger boned, short legged terriers might fit the bill. Most Scotties I have seen olately, would not. But maybe something like a Glen of Imaal.....

Missori is where they are fostered I think it would be a each dog thing.
Try contacting her any where u never know a diamond in the rough could be waiting for u

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I think an Aussie would fit the "watchdog" bill...I know Sawyer lets me know about things out of the ordinary but not obessively so. Virgo, my foster black Lab did the same, but on a larger scale...she was more of the first defense and barked at more than Sawyer did. When Sawyer started barking, it was time to pay attention.

Another option: Greyhound :D

Though my Grey was relatively quiet, he would alert at night with a couple of big barks and a deep big boy growl. He kept at bay anyone who tried to enter my room when I was asleep. But when I worked at the rescue kennel there were a few big black boys who would patrol the yard and alert if anyone was outside the fence. It's a big dog (Wally was 30" at the shoulder and they can get taller) who is generally well mannered and low energy. You just need to find a rescue that will work with you. Though it's not common in Greyhounds to be alert dogs, it definitely does happen. And who's gonna mess with a dog THAT tall?!

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
I actually had a friend of mine whose family works in greyhound rescue suggest them to me. I wasn't sure they would alert but I can look in to it since I doubt those are often banned anywhere. That and I've always liked the look of sighhounds :D

S

Squishy22

I have a neighbor who has a black standard poodle and his bark is surprisingly deep and intimidating. Scared the living daylights out of me once. Excellent alert dog. Much more aloof than the owners 2 pitties.

Like someone had already mentioned, some apartments will not tolerate noisy animals. I know here at my moms apartment her next door neighbor has a beagle that she has to take over to her relatives house when she is at work, because he is just TOO vocal and she doesn't wanna get kicked out.

I actually had a friend of mine whose family works in greyhound rescue suggest them to me. I wasn't sure they would alert but I can look in to it since I doubt those are often banned anywhere. That and I've always liked the look of sighhounds :D
Just specify that you're looking for one who alerts to sounds, and they should be able to help you out. Most Grey rescues are great about working with people's wants/needs :)

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
I wanted a doxie before we even got Izzy, Justin doesn't want a dog that he can "squish on accident" which is how he views Doxies. I think they're awesome because they have that deep bark and small size. Ironically, Izzy sounds like a full grown male lab when she barks at the dog park, she just NEVER barks at home.

So, when looking into houndy rescue, I want normal greyhounds not Italian, correct?

S

Squishy22

My aunt has a male dachshund that barks at everything and anything. I think it has to do with her reinforcing his behavior though... he barks when he wants treats or table scraps or attention, etc etc. lol. My last landlord is a dachshund breeder and her dogs are not obsessive about barking. And yeah, they have a very surprising deep bark. Very sturdy dogs too.

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
Oh so greyhound rescues want $300 a dog... And honestly, I can't pay that all in one go right now! I could easily pay for food and vets (They're pretty reasonable in my area) but that's a tad much to rescue for me. So we'll be shelter shopping sometime soon. Gunna check out the Aussie rescue site as well.

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
Just remember when getting a guardy breed. You live alone NOW..that may not be the case 5-10 years from now. MANY guardy breeds that get bonded...esp to female owners have a REAL issue later with adapting to change, bf, fiancee, children...etc.

Just something to bear in mind. You get a serious dog you get it for LIFE...regardless of what life hands you in the years to come. Might pay to consider that as well.

Members online

No members online now.