Shelter closing all dogs to be euthed!!!

Friskycatz

Please crosspost widely, I'm not sure if this is too late as it was on the news last night, Please help these poor dogs!

Local Shelter To Close, Euthanize Animals
Dogs Can Still Be Adopted
Reported By Dennis Ferrier

POSTED: 5:56 pm CST March 1, 2007
UPDATED: 9:24 pm CST March 1, 2007
E-mail this story | Print this story
HARTSVILLE, Tenn. -- A mandate at the Trousdale County Animal Shelter could cost the lives of many dogs.

Video: Mandate Could Cost Animals' Lives

On Wednesday, the Forgotten Friends Animal Shelter was open for busines. But on Thursday, employees were locked out of the shelter.

“I've carried the financial burden as long as I can carry it. We’ve got to have help from the county. They won't help us. So they took over the building and locked us out. They’ve penned all those dogs in there, nearly 40-something dogs in 13 pens, just so they can't be seen today. We’re scheduled to euthanize them today, but when they found out y'all were coming, they are not doing it today,” Tammy Layne, director of the shelter said.

Trousdale County and dogs have a history.

In the winter of 2000, dogs were freezing to death and sticking to the concrete and were jammed into a 10-feet-run.

They were fighting, eating food mixed with feces and trying to drink frozen water.

Layne said in the last four years, she and her friends were able to get the shelter turned around and now discover the county just isn't willing to share any of the burden.

“They’re coming in here and euthanizing over 40 dogs. There’s no call for it. I'm sick. I’ve been doing this for four years. I’ve done everything I know to do. I’ve helped the county. I’ve saved them thousands and thousands of dollars,” she said.

The heat has been turned off, and the shelter is to put the dogs to death.

Layne said some of the dogs had 2-week-old puppies that the county planned to kill as well as some 6-week-old puppies.

Trousdale County Executive Jerry Clift said he would have like to have done more with Forgotten Friends and that the county just doesn't have the tax base to run an expensive state approved shelter.

Several dogs have been adopted and the sheriff said there are about 20 left.

For adoption information, call the Trousdale County Sheriff's Department at 615-374-2114.

Shelbyville Considers Limit On Dogs

Ever since an elderly woman was attacked by pit bulls last fall, Shelbyville has been looking at changing its dog laws.

The city is considering limiting the number of dogs people can own.

Property under 15,000 square feet would be considered big enough for two dogs.

Lots over that size would be allowed to have three dogs.

Copyright 2007 by WSMV.com. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Members online

No members online now.