Hey! Dobie people! Is he purebred?

Doberluv

What I was describing was with strangers. When owned by a Doberman, when living with a Doberman as family....forget it. They're so cotton pickin affectionate, they can become pests. They think they're lap dogs, have to be touching you with some body part when you're hanging out on the couch. They're disgustingly loyal. I have had several different breeds and never have had a more loyal, bonded relationship with any of them as I do with my Doberman. They're just soooooooo "into" their owners. Once that dog is adopted out and gets the stability of an every day home with someone who treats him gently, fairly and teaches him the rules, he'll be so grateful for being rescued. I've heard this time and time again on a Doberman forum....these rescue Dobes usually, unless they have some horrible problem and the person doesn't know how to deal with it....seem to show an inordinate supply of gratitude. So, they can be aloof with strangers but once bonded with their owner, they're inseperable. They can hardly stand to let you go in the bathroom without them. It's what they were bred for.....looking after their master and nothing else....not sheep, not cows. LOL.

I think with you, the once a week just in't enough to create that bond that you get when you live with a dog. It's fantastically generous of you to do what you're doing...don't get me wrong. I mean that he still doesn't have an every day home with someone....and that is the stability he needs. And a good owner who understands how dogs' minds work. Just be careful he doesn't get adopted out to some heavy handed macho moron who might be rough. These dogs are sensative, even though they need consistancy, rules and boundaries. It's how they are taught that matters.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
He looks pure to me, just not of the best breeding. He's so beautiful! I love natural dobes. :)

Rosefern

Looks like a purebred to me. We have a purebred Dobe in our rescue group right now with natural ears and tails, and they look almost identical, although Mico's tail looks a bit thicker - our rescue dobe has a skinnier tail - more Great-Dane-ish in appearance. And his back isn't as sloped at the end. But everything else, size, markings - they could be twins, if you didn't look at the back end. LOL.

Cheers,

Rosefern

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
You know Mutt, you are right. He looks less daunting au naturale. He looks to be a very healthy dog too. Nice coat.

Red_ACD_for_me

Ruled by a RED boy!
If you picture him with cropped ears and a docked tail he looks like a pretty good specimen of the dobe breed to me :D
22 hours huh :mad: Hope that boy finds a loving home who will take him for lots and lots of walks ;) He deserves it :)

Sweet72947

Squishy face
Just a little update: Mico, the dobe being discussed in this thread, got an application for adoption this past weekend. The people are very nice and have experience with the doberman breed, so I think this home will work out nicely. If they application is approved (I'm quite sure it will be) and they are ready, Mico will go home next weekend! :D

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
Just a little update: Mico, the dobe being discussed in this thread, got an application for adoption this past weekend. The people are very nice and have experience with the doberman breed, so I think this home will work out nicely. If they application is approved (I'm quite sure it will be) and they are ready, Mico will go home next weekend! :D
Oh, that's such great news! :D

mrose_s

BusterLove
i dunno. i think he might be a tiny bit rottie. just because his head looks a bit more boxy. but i don't know a lot about dobes and i wouldn;t be surprised if he was a purebred BYB pup. but he's gorgeous

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
and arn't dobe ears big squarish flat panels? and i thought a natural tail would be thinner? i dunno. just guesses
Here in the US, there really isn't any consistent look to ears and tails - after all, American breeders, for the most part, don't breed for ears and tails other than their placement and orientation to the rest of the body.

Dobes can have heavy leather, light leather, hound ears, rose ears, naturally erect ears, prick ears, flyaway ears, drop ears... you name it, there's probably a dobe that's had them! Ilsa had VERY short ears - her crop, suprisingly, comes right up to the tip of her previously natural ears.

As for tails... usually they're thinner, but again - American breeders aren't overly concerned with the tails, since they're docked very early. The tailset is important, but tail thickness, length or feathering really doesn't matter to the majority of American breeders. Ronin's got a much thicker tail than Ilsa, I'm guessing Ilsa would have ended up with a whippy tail, whereas Ronin's tail would have been more substantial.

niknak7802

regarding purebreed or not??

:mad: :mad: This dog is purebred!!! I hope someone adopts him and treats him like he should be treated. How Cruel!!! It frightens me to think what kind of person could do this to any breed of dog much less this breed. This is such a wonderful, awesome breed. This poor baby deserved to be treated
so much better than this!! I cannot even begin to fathom or understand the idea of this breed being locked in a cage for 22 hours a day!! I wish I could get my hands on these people or lock them in a tiny closet all day everyday. How cruel and abusive to such a loving, energetic, inquisitive, and playful breed. I truly hope this doesn't have long term affects on his personality and trusting issues. They need to be taught at an early age so they are not agressive, skidish and scared to death of people and strangers. This breed needs lots of exercise, playtime, and socialization with others. They need to be cuddled and loved!! I am so Angry!! I had to stop typing and get away for a few minutes before I could finish my :mad: :lol-sign: !! I have gotten out of the business of breeding miniature pinschers for this very reason . Everyone in our family fell in love with this breed and wanted one. I had six litters of beautiful perfect pups. They all have wonderful loving homes. I still keep in touch with everyone I sold my babies to and receive pictures as they grow up on a regular basis. I hope someone will give this dog what it deserves. I wish I could take another one into my home but I have three now and don't breed them anymore. There are too many needing to be rescued out there, and I don't feel it is right when you can't be certain that the vey same thing could end up happening to one of your pups when they leave your home.
Please let me know what happens with him.
God Bless Him!!

QUOTE=Sweet72947;610891]This is a new Doberman (mix?) we got into rescue about two weeks ago. We are thinking that he's purebred. His ears and tail are natural. His people used to keep him in a crate for 22 hours a day and then he was dumped at the pound because the daughter moved and he was "the daughter's dog." :mad:

He's a real cutie. His name is mico. Here he is chasing a ball:

Mico is very intelligent, and he likes tennis balls! He seems a little unsure of other dogs, but that's probably due to being undersocialized.
So, what think? Mixed or purebred? You decide!:D[/QUOTE]

niknak7802

regarding purebreed or not??

This dog is purebred!!! I hope someone adopts him and treats him like he should be treated. How Cruel!!! It frightens me to think what kind of person could do this to any breed of dog much less this breed. This is such a wonderful, awesome breed. This poor baby deserved to be treated
so much better than this!! I cannot even begin to fathom or understand the idea of this breed being locked in a cage for 22 hours a day!! I wish I could get my hands on these people or lock them in a tiny closet all day everyday. How cruel and abusive to such a loving, energetic, inquisitive, and playful breed. I truly hope this doesn't have long term affects on his personality and trusting issues. They need to be taught at an early age so they are not agressive, skidish and scared to death of people and strangers. This breed needs lots of exercise, playtime, and socialization with others. They need to be cuddled and loved!! I am so Angry!! I had to stop typing and get away for a few minutes before I could finish my :mad: :lol-sign: !! I have gotten out of the business of breeding miniature pinschers for this very reason . Everyone in our family fell in love with this breed and wanted one. I had six litters of beautiful perfect pups. They all have wonderful loving homes. I still keep in touch with everyone I sold my babies to and receive pictures as they grow up on a regular basis. I hope someone will give this dog what it deserves. I wish I could take another one into my home but I have three now and don't breed them anymore. There are too many needing to be rescued out there, and I don't feel it is right when you can't be certain that the vey same thing could end up happening to one of your pups when they leave your home.
Please let me know what happens with him.
God Bless Him!!

MG]http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k229/Sweet72947/Dogs/mico.jpg[/IMG]

He's a real cutie. His name is mico. Here he is chasing a ball:

Mico is very intelligent, and he likes tennis balls! He seems a little unsure of other dogs, but that's probably due to being undersocialized.
So, what think? Mixed or purebred? You decide!:D[/QUOTE]

Sweet72947

Squishy face
Well, another update, he was returned after a week because he raised his hackles at the grandmother when she came over :rolleyes:.

Mico is also dog reactive on walks. When he sees another dog, he gets low and fixates on them, and once they get close he stands there and barks until they walk by. I am going to teach him a "watch me" command so that I can work on his dog reactiveness. Too bad I can only work with him once a week, as I don't have time to get to the rescue shelter during the week due to class and work. Mico is very sweet, but a dog who freaks out when he sees other dogs doesn't exactly scream "adoptable" to prospective adopters. But this problem stems from being under socialized.

Doberooney

I bark, therefore I am
Well, another update, he was returned after a week because he raised his hackles at the grandmother when she came over :rolleyes:.

Mico is also dog reactive on walks. When he sees another dog, he gets low and fixates on them, and once they get close he stands there and barks until they walk by. I am going to teach him a "watch me" command so that I can work on his dog reactiveness. Too bad I can only work with him once a week, as I don't have time to get to the rescue shelter during the week due to class and work. Mico is very sweet, but a dog who freaks out when he sees other dogs doesn't exactly scream "adoptable" to prospective adopters. But this problem stems from being under socialized.

What a shame all around. The lack of socialization worries me.

Members online

No members online now.