Car Essentials?

Michiyo-Fir

I just bought a new car. A 2012 white Volkswagen Golf wagon. Now I need to know what you guys put in there as the essentials! I put in lots of bottled water, paper towels, tissues.

what do you guys have in your car for dogs and or people?

CaliTerp07

NOTHING. I hate having stuff in the car!

The only thing is an emergency kit in the trunk, with things like jumper cables and flares and such. The rest of my car is completely empty, save for my GPS.

Xandra

Nice!!! That's what I'd like but I wouldn't be getting a new one! Congrats!

Hand sanitizer, wipes, a towel, lots doggie bags, trail mix (in case you get stranded), a treat your dog likes. Spare slip lead. Flashlight. Leatherman. If you want to be super prepared you can put in a first aid kit (the car may have come with one and in that case you may just want to add Quik-Stop or something).

That's all I've got. But congrats!!

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I have a 2002 VW GTI and my must haves for Frodo in my car are my DogAbout seat protector, it fits my GTI like it was made for it! And he has a seatbelt that belts right into the regular seatbelt thingy, SO NICE!!

Also a collapsible water dish and I usiau have a gallon jug of water in the back :)

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I forgot to say that I also always carry a muzzle in my glove compartment, but that probably puts me in the minority :p

This is the seatbelt I have for Frodo:

SO.MUCH.LOVE.

A couple of extra quarts of oil, brake fluid and half and half anti freeze/coolant in the trunk ;) Everything else we wing it as we go. In the winter, though, there's always a blanket and an extra jacket and my boots are usually stowed in the trunk.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Nothing. Lol. I mean I have lots of junk in my car, but none of it intentional. :p

I do like having an extra leash in the car. And during the winter I keep an extra pair of gloves, hat, and sweatshirt in it. Otherwise, nope.... nothing of importance!

Michiyo-Fir

A couple of extra quarts of oil, brake fluid and half and half anti freeze/coolant in the trunk ;) Everything else we wing it as we go. In the winter, though, there's always a blanket and an extra jacket and my boots are usually stowed in the trunk.
I'm not sure if I dare to leave those dog-toxic stuff in the car. It's a hatch, no trunk and Nia would be able to get to it.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I'm not sure if I dare to leave those dog-toxic stuff in the car. It's a hatch, no trunk and Nia would be able to get to it.
Not if you buy the seatbelt I posted, she won't!! LOL!! :p

But yeah, I don't keep chemicals in my car either.

If that's the case, get a container with a lid that latches securely. Being stuck on the road someplace because the car needs fluids makes for a nasty day, and even a new car can have a hose leak or run low on oil. Really, when they're new you need to stay on top of the oil levels pretty closely, at least for the first two or three thousand miles.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
...mainly because I refuse to buy any of those chemicals/oil/stuff since Ryan is a VW mechanic and gets that stuff for free.

Michiyo-Fir

If that's the case, get a container with a lid that latches securely. Being stuck on the road someplace because the car needs fluids makes for a nasty day, and even a new car can have a hose leak or run low on oil. Really, when they're new you need to stay on top of the oil levels pretty closely, at least for the first two or three thousand miles.
I'm not too worried about it. I have 6 years of roadside assistance for the car for jump starts, oil levels and stuff like that. Anywhere in North America, 24 hours a day.

Michiyo-Fir

...mainly because I refuse to buy any of those chemicals/oil/stuff since Ryan is a VW mechanic and gets that stuff for free.
Ah I have a question. Does Ryan see a lot of problems with the Golf/Golf wagon (Jetta Sportwagen in the US I think it's called)? After I bought my car, a lot of people have been telling me the reliability of VW is pretty bad. Like A/C breaking all the time, radio, bluetooth, coil packs, etc. etc. Almost everyone I know drive a Japanese car and tell me they're much more reliable.

For example, our 2000 Toyota Camry has had no repairs other than damages from an accident and the usual maintenance stuff. Not in the 12 years we've had it.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
The old VWs can be pretty terrible. My MKIV has some pretty spectacular electrical issues and I've had to replace a master slave cylinder and two ignition coils.

Ryan has had a MKV 2006 GTI and now has a Passat wagon, not sure on year... His have never had the issues that mine have though, I believe they changed the way they do the electrical system from the MKV on but I could be wrong.

When people ask me about my VW I always tell them to make sure they either like working on their car or they are willing to pay someone too. Lol

I will direct Ryan to this thread. He's pretty easy to spot, he has Frodo on his siggy.

Michiyo-Fir

Ok thanks. I know my dad has always had VWs in the last 20 years but most of them have been company cars and have drivers so the company repairs them and he doesn't really know if they've had any problems. His most recent one is a personal car, a VW Passat from 2007 I think and he said he hasn't had any problems.

I have one more question. In your GTI if you open both back windows but not the front, do you hear a really really loud thumping noise? I was told it was something related to air pressure and the only way to get rid of it is to open one of the front windows a little bit. It's SUPER loud, feels like the bass drums (or w/e they're called) at a concert. I tried it for a bit and almost went deaf. Some people told me most VWs and other cars that are sealed very well have that effect and there's nothing one can do about it?

Members online

No members online now.