My breeds

Maxy24

SO just for the fun of it lets see what dog breeds would be good future dogs (when I'm moved out and living on my own). I'll be getting shelter dogs but you see many dogs that are pure or close to it in shelters so even if it's a mix I want to know what breed mixes I might like.

I like active dogs, ones who like to play and will hike with me.

I don't care if he can guard or even bark to warn me

I want a friendly dog who likes people, they don't have to make immediate friends with strangers but I don't want them to be hostile towards people I allow in.

I plan on having more than one dog.

I will have cats (the same I have now assuming they are still alive).

They need to be good with kids.

I don't mind heavy shedding or the need for professional grooming but I don't like the long hair (Shih-Tzu type hair, old engish sheepdog hair etc.) (I don't like hair in their faces).

I'd like to have a large fenced in yard.

I like large dogs, I'll take anything 40 pounds and up.

if you need more info I'll give it to you. Try to think outside the box, do a bit of research for me into less common breeds (include the common ones too though).

I'd love to know what you think.

Maxy24

They were my favorite breed for the longest time, they might still be but I have to learn more about that before I can say for sure.

Labra

Labrador Retriever!

Very active, love to hike and always up for playing. Excellent with kids, cats and other dogs. Good with strangers. Shed but require little grooming.

Melissa_W

A Boxer?

In my experience the ones that are properly bred are active, friendly, and great with kids and other dogs. Of course, I've seen really badly bred ones that are none of these things. But they can be really great.

Maxy24

So far I like what I hear. I like Aussies, Boxers, labs and don't know a thing about Dobies :eek: I'll have to look into them more.

My cousin had a Boxer but he died when he was five. She called him for a treat and he came walking in then just dropped dead. The vet said he had a brain aneurysm.

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
A Boxer?

In my experience the ones that are properly bred are active, friendly, and great with kids and other dogs. Of course, I've seen really badly bred ones that are none of these things. But they can be really great.
my thought was also a boxer--but there are other dogs, higher energy--Viszla, Weirmeraners, greyhound just to name a few.

Rosefern

now I heard Viszlas are very bad with cats, is that true?
Any dog can have a prey drive, but most Viszlas prey drives are compartively low...as long as you get a dog from a rescue that's already being fostered with a cat, you should be fine!! :)

-Rosefern

RD

Are you dead yet?
Aussie comes to mind for me too, or what about a GSD?

T

tessa_s212

RD has a good suggestion with the shepherds. I really do love GSDs. Most all I've met are the more mellow, laid back dogs that are very gentle nad loving, but still very willing to romp and play.

Big dogs with a big heart. :)

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I think I would have to throw boxer out there as well... the one I have, and the other ones I know, fit everything you've listed. Molly even fits the active part and she's over 10 years old. :p

If you can get a nice mellow GSD they are great since you don't mind the shedding.

But run far far away from anything under 2 years old. They are not mellow at all.

klaker

Well, you could also mention the American Bulldog and the olde english bulldog. Both are active and very loyal to their families and great with kids. They are generally not too bad to strangers. They are wary of strangers but will welcome them in if you are there to answer the door. As far as cats go, this will be hit and miss with a shelter dog. Because most shelter dogs are not small puppies, you would have to do your research to see if they are cat friendly.

Members online

No members online now.