Looking for a desktop computer

PawsibleDogs

Crazy Dog Nerd
Hi all,

I'm trying to help a family member look for a new desktop computer and am really not having much luck. I've tried Amazon with limited success, and am hoping you guys have some awesome suggestion(s). :)

Needs:
Desktop PC (Macs are most-likely out of the budget)
Windows 7 (or earlier) -- absolutely no Windows 8
Wi-Fi enabled
CD/DVD burner
500+ GB hard drive
Warranty available (at least 1 year, preferably 2+)

Preferably a Lenovo, Asus, or good quality brand -- would really rather not have Acer, HP, or Dell (has had bad experiences with them).

Already has a keyboard, mouse, and monitor, so those don't need to be included.

Thanks! :)

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Desktops are becoming obsolete, as are laptops. It's a shame she doesn't want a laptop, because I have a Toshieba & I love it! I was going to suggest Mac, but they are horribly expensive ... Good but expensive.

Ive had good luck with Acers, so Im no help. Lenovo would be my first choice, after Asus or Acer, I like cheap. Lenovo builds a good machine.

I dont do Win or Mac OS, so what is the machine used for? If your family member isnt afraid of Linux, a barebones no OS system may be worth looking at.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
I've had Toshiba, Acer and Asus netbooks/laptops for a while now, and wouldn't hesitate to suggest these models, but no experience with their desktops. The only desktops I've had have been Dells or HPs. HATE HP lol, loved the Dells.

Also, I canNOT stand Gateways. I don't know how they are anymore, but I hated the one my cousins had with a passion lol.

Dekka

Just try me..
I wouldn't say desktops are becoming obsolete.. at least not also with portables. Typing on a tablet sucks... they are good for consuming, not so good for creating.

I had a cheap acer that lasted (with some abuse) a good 6 years and still ran everything I wanted it too. Though I have abused my asus netbook even more ;)

For what you want you could look at refurbished stuff. Often it comes with the same warranty.

What is it this computer will be used for? What sort of things must it do easily and comfortably. (I love my netbook for portability, but not for heavy typing, for example) I agree Ubuntu could be a good option too, though windows 7 seems popular. I too hate windows 8 (have a shell to make it look like windows 7 when I run it)

Having done computer repair, I personally avoid Dell, Toshiba, Sony, and Gateway. Funnay thing is my two desktops are a Dell and a Sony, I hate them both.

frostfell

Kung Pow Fish
Desktops the only thing Iv had is custom build from parts

Laptops Iv had ASUS and Toshiba and love them both to bits. Someday when Im rich Ill get a Razer Blade :rofl1:

PawsibleDogs

Crazy Dog Nerd
Thanks all - she's very adamant about wanting a desktop (doesn't like the smaller screens with laptops or tablets). She also doesn't want to learn a new OS (I have a Mac that I love, and have had Sony Vaio and Toshiba laptops that served me well despite me being really hard on them :lol-sign:), so wants to stick with familiar Windows environments.

She mostly just uses the computer for light use (web, word processing, playing installed games), and just needs something reliable, easy enough to get repaired if something happens, and has the features she'd most-likely take advantage of (memory card reader, wifi because the U-verse only does wireless in her home, moderate HD, and burning capabilities).

She's looking into having her previous machine repaired as an alternative (sounds like either motherboard or graphics card). I do appreciate all the suggestions and will pass them along if she decides to replace the machine. :) Thanks!

As someone who's been WORKING from their computer for years, This!!! VVV

I wouldn't say desktops are becoming obsolete.. at least not also with portables. Typing on a tablet sucks... they are good for consuming, not so good for creating.
Nope, you CAN'T do diddly from a Tablet! NOTHING quite frankly, my brother got me a Lenovo Tablet for Christmas this year (yeah, I was completely blown away), needless to say...it's been thrown at the floor a few times already for being an uncooperative POS!!! Don't worry, it's fine, I've since learned although you can access the internet with it, don't expect to be able to DO anything once there, at all! I'm mostly using it right now to read books...all of two free books so far.

Anyway, enough about that, but yeah there are MANY things in life that you NEED a Desktop for and NOTHING else will substitute one, I know. I wish I had advice for you, but I don't. I just know that all the hated brands already mentioned are also on my "NO" list, and I've not had luck finding anything suitable as a replacement for my currently dying DT, had to replace a fan in it before that malfunctioned and caused it to overheat and crash, now the new fan, which works/is set up differently, is malfunctioning too, ugh! I'll be watching this thread...

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
I still reccomend a laptop, they are cool & you can do almost anything (provided you have the nessessary software) you can on a desktop, but they dont take up much room & they are more portable. I am writing this in my bed, with my laptop ... well ... on my lap LOL.

though if she is dead set on a desktop, I had a compaq & loved it, I also have worked with Dell & Toshieba, which are also good.

dont get anything sony or HP though, they are POS's

yv0nne

Vizsla mom
I won't edit on anything except a desktop so they aren't totally gone by the wayside yet ..photographers still use them pretty exclusively ;)

Newegg is the way to go as far as OEM and custom made desktops.

I own 6 working desktops and 1 working laptop. I prefer desktops. For one thing, they're upgradable. Laptops tend not to last very long, especially cheap ones. The same is true of mobile devices. Mobile device such as the Ipad tend to have a closed architecture. I have one desktop that is over 15 years old and the others are all different ages. lol

You may want to buy a windows 7 professional license while you still can. Though, Windows 8 can be made to act more like Windows 7 with ClassicShell. It's free.

Go desktops!

You can add a monitor and a real keyboard and mouse to a laptop, but at that point why not get a desktop if you're not planning on moving it often?

Sometimes a more mobile computer would be nice, but the processing power in my desktop would melt down a laptop.

I wouldn't get hung up on manufacturer. Its pretty much a matter of what is in the computer that matters, and the only thing that will vary very much is the power supply and case. (HP, I do hate your small midsize case).

I kinda skimmed, has Lenovo been mentioned? If I had to by a Win machine thats where I would start.

ETA: I already said Ild get a Lenovo in this very thread, shows I pay attention.

I still reccomend a laptop, they are cool & you can do almost anything (provided you have the nessessary software) you can on a desktop, but they dont take up much room & they are more portable. I am writing this in my bed, with my laptop ... well ... on my lap LOL.

though if she is dead set on a desktop, I had a compaq & loved it, I also have worked with Dell & Toshieba, which are also good.

dont get anything sony or HP though, they are POS's
No, you CAN'T! This is coming from someone who has had 4 desktops, and my mother is on her second Laptop so I have used them before. So trust me, when it comes to "getting WORK done", photo editing, graphics design, web work, it can not be done at the same quality on a laptop, period! I have a LARGE screen, with limited glare and full true colors set, I can upgrade EVERYTHING inside the tower (this one's already had a ton of work done on it by my brother, it's a hand-me-down), I can plug in my tablet and sit where-ever how-ever I want, I have a REAL keyboard for writing, etc so on and so fourth. Not to argue with you, I'm sure your laptops are just fine for daily chit-chat and checking email, my mother uses her to spend all her free time looking up recipes and looking at pinterest. I'm just trying to state the facts, as someone who's been using computers for 20 years, trust me I know what "fully loaded" means and feels like when it comes to computers, and NOTHING touches a desk top when it comes to work.

I won't edit on anything except a desktop so they aren't totally gone by the wayside yet ..photographers still use them pretty exclusively ;)
EXACTLY! :hail:

Newegg is the way to go as far as OEM and custom made desktops.

I own 6 working desktops and 1 working laptop. I prefer desktops. For one thing, they're upgradable. Laptops tend not to last very long, especially cheap ones. The same is true of mobile devices. Mobile device such as the Ipad tend to have a closed architecture. I have one desktop that is over 15 years old and the others are all different ages. lol
Again, exactly the same feelings here, I have a desk top I still use that was bought in 99', my mother bought her first lap top around 2000, it's not really operating as of 2011, you can't run it unless it's plugged in and the power cord has a bad short in it inside the computer, it's been professionally repaired once and after that it was just cheaper to buy a brand new one for her.
Also, our very first Windows desk top computer was bought sometime between 95'-96' (I can't remember?) and it's still functional, we just gave it away last year to a relative for their kids to play with.

I kinda skimmed, has Lenovo been mentioned? If I had to by a Win machine thats where I would start.

ETA: I already said Ild get a Lenovo in this very thread, shows I pay attention.
lol, I'm sure we've all done that this week, I don't know what it is (probably the cold) but my brains been shot for the last week, ugh. But yeah, other than being a royal PITA to use, the Tablet I got is a Lenovo and I'm thinking of going that route when I need a new desk top now. This one was just a cheap thing that my brothers work pawned off on him, he jammed it with so many upgrade it sounds like a jet engine when you start it up. But, it's lacking memory (not as much since I took off all his games) and there's a part with a fan inside that he added which they no longer make that size fan, gee I can guess why, with having to replace once already!

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Even a MacBook Pro all the way to 16GB doesn't stand up to a desktop when it comes to needing a workhorse of a machine. Ask a hardcore gamer if they would use a laptop. =P Desktops are never going away.
I like laptops but I could never imagine using one as my main machine, even just from the logistics of posture. Ow.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
No, you CAN'T! This is coming from someone who has had 4 desktops, and my mother is on her second Laptop so I have used them before. So trust me, when it comes to "getting WORK done", photo editing, graphics design, web work, it can not be done at the same quality on a laptop, period! I have a LARGE screen, with limited glare and full true colors set, I can upgrade EVERYTHING inside the tower (this one's already had a ton of work done on it by my brother, it's a hand-me-down), I can plug in my tablet and sit where-ever how-ever I want, I have a REAL keyboard for writing, etc so on and so fourth. Not to argue with you, I'm sure your laptops are just fine for daily chit-chat and checking email, my mother uses her to spend all her free time looking up recipes and looking at pinterest. I'm just trying to state the facts, as someone who's been using computers for 20 years, trust me I know what "fully loaded" means and feels like when it comes to computers, and NOTHING touches a desk top when it comes to work.

EXACTLY! :hail:

Again, exactly the same feelings here, I have a desk top I still use that was bought in 99', my mother bought her first lap top around 2000, it's not really operating as of 2011, you can't run it unless it's plugged in and the power cord has a bad short in it inside the computer, it's been professionally repaired once and after that it was just cheaper to buy a brand new one for her.
Also, our very first Windows desk top computer was bought sometime between 95'-96' (I can't remember?) and it's still functional, we just gave it away last year to a relative for their kids to play with.

lol, I'm sure we've all done that this week, I don't know what it is (probably the cold) but my brains been shot for the last week, ugh. But yeah, other than being a royal PITA to use, the Tablet I got is a Lenovo and I'm thinking of going that route when I need a new desk top now. This one was just a cheap thing that my brothers work pawned off on him, he jammed it with so many upgrade it sounds like a jet engine when you start it up. But, it's lacking memory (not as much since I took off all his games) and there's a part with a fan inside that he added which they no longer make that size fan, gee I can guess why, with having to replace once already!
It depends on the brand of laptop you get! Some are not very durable, but some are. & uh ... I have been into computers for the better part of 25 years.

Members online

No members online now.