The Search is On

grab01

I'm on a boat..
Has the Westie been tested around actual small animals, or are they considering cats as small animals? (some places lump them together)

I only ask because you've said you do rat rescue, and as the owner of a terrier, I can say that few things can bring out the terrier in an otherwise docile dog like rodents. I had rats for many many years, along with my terrier (with nary an incident), but they did have to be completely separate. Where my other dogs couldn't have cared less about the fuzzies, Jules took any opportunity he could find to spin in front of their cages.

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
I only ask because you've said you do rat rescue, and as the owner of a terrier, I can say that few things can bring out the terrier in an otherwise docile dog like rodents. I had rats for many many years, along with my terrier (with nary an incident), but they did have to be completely separate. Where my other dogs couldn't have cared less about the fuzzies, Jules took any opportunity he could find to spin in front of their cages.
I spend a lot of time at Dekka's house and they have had from 3 to 6 JRTs in the time I've known them. While there are terriers that lack any instinct to go after prey.. the ones here have all been VERY interested in 'rat tv'. (Rat cage on top of entertainment unit where they are safe). Actually all the animals they have had really while haviing rats have been very interested in rat tv.. including dogs that shouldn't be. One of my cockers screams and tries to climb up to them.. the other works himself into a terrier like frenzy..

Both BCs that spend time here want in.. No issues ever as they are out of harms way.. but if you spend a lot of free tiem with your rats I'd be wary of most terriers except ones that have so little breed instinct left they wouldn't know what to do at the entrance to any animals home.

Members online

No members online now.