Animals of Katrina Need You

MyDogsLoveMe

My pets love me they do
El I know and I know how everyone feels here about animals I have had them since I was 1 yrs old and I am 39 that is 38 yrs of loving my babies and I can only imagine the heartbreak I would feel if I had to look into the eyes of one of my babies only to leave them behind. We put down my boxer Dakota this last march he was 14 yrs old, he was my brothers and when my brother passed that was all that was left of him and I was darned if I was going to see him go somewhere else so I have had him for 3 yrs before he was put down and that was the most gut wrenching feeling to stay with him and watch his little heartbeat just slip away knowing that I wouldnt see that wonderful and beautiful baby anymore. Sorry I took a left turn there,

EliNHunter

I hear you on that, too. And feel for you in having to put your beloved brother's partner to sleep. I only wish those poor animals left behind could have such a sweet death. I did hear that some people did ask that their young, healthy pets be put to sleep after they were evacuated because they didn't want them to endure the torture ahead of them...

MyDogsLoveMe

My pets love me they do
I know me to, or I hope and pray that someone picked them up and took them with them to safety. I know that there were alot of refugees that were flown in here to Utah and brought their furry 4 legged family members and were welcomed with open arms.

EliNHunter

Although, on a frightful note, I heard they covered makeshift kennels with plastic and were gassing the animals and the bigger dogs took longer to succomb and people were walking off the job because it was so horrendous...

MyDogsLoveMe

My pets love me they do
yes I did read that to and that just breaks my heart to hear of it, puts me in mind of concentration camps, but on another note people bringing them in because they couldnt take them had to be hard also. Those poor little creatures, I just wish i had 20 acres of nothing but fenced in land to take them all and let them run their little legs to death than to think of that

EliNHunter

"At the hospital, a doctor euthanized some animals at the request of their owners, who feared they would be abandoned and starve to death. He set up a small gas chamber out of a plastic-wrapped dog kennel.

"The bigger dogs were fighting it. Fighting the gas. It took them longer. When I saw that, I said 'I can't do it,'" said Bennett's husband, Lorne.""

bubbatd

My heart aches for all ...people and animals. We owned horses too, and I know how we would have felt leaving them. The whole thing is just so sad. Indianapolis has brought in 300 to 400 people so far that are at our fairgrounds. I'm trying to figure out what I can do to help. I can't financially, but could put some up. But then, how I be assured that I wouldn't be in harm's way ?? A 72 year old living alone. I'd rather bring in dogs.....sorry, but I trust them more.

MyDogsLoveMe

My pets love me they do
If you have items that you can donate contact your local red cross and find out what and where you can take them. See if you cant donate some time and go to the fairgrounds and sit with the children and read to them, interact with them. There is alot that can be done without feeling that you are in harms way. Bless you for wanting to help

yoko

i don't think i could ever leave yoshi. i would starve before i choose food over her. but in the post it said it was parents and children. now i'm going for the 'have no children' route... but if i was a parent and everyone was scared.. and traffic was horrible. and i didn't know how long it would be before i could get food for my kids or if we would be able to make it out of the city in time.. i might have to think of my kids and choose food and water

bubbatd

I wish they would load those transport trucks they use to take chickens, pigs etc to slaughter ( individual cages ) with dogs and bring them to Indiana !!! We've got enough rescue groups here that could house them. I saw today that the doctor who promised owners he'd stay with their dogs at his hospital was rescued today as well as all the dogs and cats. After 4 days, he was worn out! Dogs looked in better shape than he !!! Bless him !!!!!

Members online

No members online now.