Dobermans in Therapy

Doberluv

This article is touching. How wonderful these therapy dogs are, how they change the lives of people with such a difficult load.

Down a ways in the article is mentioned a particular ***** named Onyx and also mentioned are some of her off spring. Repo Man is mentioned and he happens to be my Lyric's grand dad.

Take a look at this heartwarming story.

http://www.uniteddobermanclub.com/breed/therapy.html

showpug

This is so great!! My goal with my mastiff/wolfhound pup is to get to the point where he can do pet therapy some day. I think he has the heart for it. We will see! I love to read these stories. Dogs are miracle workers on so many different levels :)

My Bear, a rescued German Shepherd/Akita, was certified as an animal therapist through the University of Tennessee-Knoxville, as was my big blue cat, Gonzo. It was humbling to watch what they could bring out in people, especially the kids in the runaway shelters.

showpug

I have always wanted to do nursing homes. Something breaks my heart about nursing homes. I think a dog in a nursing home, even for a small time here and there brings something new and fresh and brightens the day. My father in-law just came back from a trip where he ended up visiting a nursing home in a convent. He went with his brother who brought along his dogs. The nuns asked if he would bring the dogs in and they did. There was a very sick nun who was so weak that she could not open her eyes, needless to say, after touching the dog, her eyes opened!! Dogs are the best ;) My biggest fear is not growing old, but growing old without a dog, or being so helpless that I could not care for a dog. I know that bringing dogs into nursing homes helps these people enjoy the gifts pets have to offer and it helps them look back on the happy memories they have of their past dogs. :)

On one of Bear's favorite walks we went by a nursing home. If the weather was nice there were always several people sitting out on the big front porch. I'd walk Bear up and they would all have a nice visit. They all loved him; he brought out so many memories of dogs from their youth. One of the nurses told me once that she could always tell when Bear had been by on one of his walks. The people who had been out on the porch and had spent some time with him were all more animated and happier and more cooperative afterward. She said they seemed to sleep better too.

bubbatd

Believe me, nothing is more rewarding !!! My Bubba was the best....He was newly certified with TDI when my Tom was in the hospital. Our local hospital at that time had no animals policy. I knew Tom wanted to see Bubba so took my chances. I had just gotten off on the cardiac floor when a doctor came up to me....geeeeeze, here we go I thought ! She said , excuse me but is that a therapy dog ??? Yes, I said. she answered , well when you visit your patient, would you mind visiting........and she named off 5 rooms!!! Needless to say we did. Beside the hospital we monthly visited 2 nursing homes , two adult day care services, a place for mentally challenged adults ,& special needs children. He was the best !!!! Chip is also certified,,, but not his Daddy. I started taking Bubby at a young age even before his TDI to some places....Chip was 3 when I got him back. Some smells etc bother him. Bless the Bubba's of the world.!

Grammy, you'd have loved watching my big blue Gonzo-cat work the room. I used to describe it as him "doing laps" around the room. Those kids' faces would just light up when he'd jump up in their laps and start that big motor of his and bump his head up against their chins.

Doberluv

I love it that some of you are into this with your dogs. I love hearing the stories. It must be terribly rewarding. I sometimes wonder if Lyric would be any good at that. He does like people, but only after he has a few moments to size them up. He is a tad suspicious of strangers, but that is in keeping with correct Doberman temperament. They do vary quite a bit and some are much better with that sort of thing. But I can see how neat it would be.

showpug

I have heard that the full therapy test to get a dog certified is fairly grueling :confused: Your dog has to react a certain way to a lot of different situations, including not biting if they get stepped on etc. They also have to sit at your side quietly while new people approach etc. I read about it in the past, because I really want to do it with my new pup. I will have to see how he turns out. He loves people and especially children, so I am thinking he would do well. :)

Doberluv

Wouldn't that be great Showpug? I think it would be soooo rewarding to see those faces light up when you bring your dog in to visit. What better gift could there be? I hope you can do this.

I don't know that Lyric would have the right temperament. He's a little suspicious of strangers, although not afraid of anything much. So, he could get used to stuff and he probably wouldn't bite if he got stepped on. I see him as being more apt to step back and look like, "Did you mean to do that? Ouch. Oh well, I'm OK." He's a pretty tolerant dog about most things. But could be worried about new encounters.

Chulita, my Chihauhua would be perfect. She adores new people and has no hesitation what so ever in going right up to new people....absolutely no abandonment or reservations. She's a social butterfly. Only problem is her breath. LOL. No matter what I do, uggggg. She wouldn't bite if she got stepped on, but she might get a toe broken and be afraid.

bubbatd

I have not only gotten 4 of my goldens certified but have been on the scene with the test for other dogs.....Our golden club brings in an evaluater about one a year and we play the roles. Wheelchairs, moaning patients, people on crutches, a tray of metal falling to floor , It is sooooooooooooo interesting to watch the reactions !!! This is open to all breeds who enter. This plus the other tests really isn't as bad as it sounds. I feel and dog that can get it's CGD can pass it ......it really has to do with the faith the dog puts into their handler. I really wasn't sure if Chip could pass it as I had only had him for a year ( he was 4) .......husband Tom said he'd never pass...boy, did I wave that certificate in his face................as I said, it's VERY rewarding !!!! :+)

bubbatd

P.S. I get a bi-annual newsletter from TDI and there are lots of wonderful dobs in pictures !

Doberluv

Wow Bubbatd! Cool. I think that must have been a great feeling and a lot of fun waving that certificate around! LOL. Good for you! That is so impressive....all those Goldens....therapy dogs. How neat.

Well, dropping a metal plate on the floor would do my Chihuahua in I think. Not Lyric....he's a pretty steady as she goes kind of dog that way. Well, he'd probably startle, but recover quickly, I think. He stands so close to the lawnmower, that I'm always having to yell above the motor, "LYRIC! Watch out! Out of the way!" He has been on elevators, around trains, all over the city sidewalks, machinery of various sorts, electric doors, walking over sewer grates. I use to take him to the grocery store parking lot and walk him on my left and a basket on my right, rattling over the parking lot. This was all part of his socialization. And we'd stop and see new people every day. I had to drive for an hour about 3 times a week to get to the closest city of any size to get him around a lot of stuff.

That's nice that there are so many Dobes doing this. It's good for their image. They need all the help they can get. They do come in various temperaments. Being aloof or suspicious is part of the standard and is correct, (not shy, not vicious) but there are some who are much more outgoing and well suited for this type of thing. Maybe that doesn't necessarily mean everything for this therapy work. (?)

After Lyric meets someone new who he's sizing up...making sure they're on the up and up, he usually decides they're pretty neat and then he's all over them, sticking his face in their face if they squat down, trying to be affectionate, but most people aren't too keen on having a 95 LB Doberman Pinscher's face in their face. I guess I should discourage such rude behavior. But I've always been trying make sure he knows that people are great. (unless otherwise posted) LOL.

So, I wonder if he could do this. What do you think by my long winded description of him?

bubbatd

I'd go for it ! I think they have to be 2 yrs. old to get the CGC. Sometimes it takes a couple of tries...then on to the TDI

Doberluv

No, I'm looking at my handbook I received from my trainer for the CGC program and there is nothing there about age. The trainer who's class I'm attending knows how old Lyric is. But he will be 2 Aug 6th. I have 3 more classes and then the test! A-h-h-h-h! With his obedience skills, he's way ahead of his class, but with some stuff, I'm sure he'll need some practice....stuff that's not about regular obedience. LOL.

showpug

:D Therapy work is something I really want to do with Norman. So far, he adores people and children. His biggest hang up right now is strange noises. He is such a chicken, but I encourage bravery and curiosity and NOT coddling and comforting with my dogs. If I act curious, he will usually follow and check things out like the vacuum or lawn mower etc. I am trying to expose him to lots of different noises, but I know too that he is still a pup and will come into his own eventually with more confidence. We are in puppy pre-school right now and he will start puppy post grad after that...then on to training basics etc. until we accomplish the CGC test and get his certificate! I thought I wanted to move from there to competitive obedience, but I am questioning that now. He is 1/2 Wolfhound and 1/2 Mastiff and he is so lazy....almost too lazy to have an attention span long enough to learn sit LOL! When I give him the sit at my side command he starts to sink and melt into a laying position! I am working on convincing him to stay excited with yummy motivators, but let's face it, he's going to be a dust collector!! LOL! :D Of course we are in class right next to a mini Aust. Shep puppy who could compete in obedience right now. The owner just keeps looking at Norman....I can't imagine what she is thinking!! I don't care, if I wanted an extra intelligent and active breed I would have gotten one, but I truly wanted a lazy dust collector! Plus, my pup is the youngest in class and the biggest LOL!! :D Anyway, sorry for the ramble.

Doberluv

I love your rambling....your story. It's sooooooo cute. Norman sounds so delightful...a dust collector! I love it!

Members online

No members online now.