Avoiding certain breeds - insulting?

PixieSticksandTricks

Athletic Labs. They Exist
Most dog owners around here cross the street when they see me walking Pixie and Tucker or one or the other alone.

For example

There was this guy walking this beautiful well behaved Pit down the road. He saw Pixie and Tucker and crossed the street. Pixie being protective gave two warning barks and then subsided to a sit stay wen I told her too. The man looked over at me and smiled and I smiled back. I like when people do that with their dogs because Pixie is so big that eyes I have control of her but you never know what she will do with strange dogs around.

There is this one girl that I just despise. Everytime I see her when im walking Pixie and Tucker she glares at me and crosses to the other side of the street. I know her little sister and her dog because her little sister is a dog lover. Both Pixie and Tucker get along with their Basset/beagle (he's old so he never was a designer dog) Bingo. So the girl knows both Pixie and Tucker are friendly but she still glares at me or looks at my dogs in disgust. That always ticks me off.

rottnpagan

Rottweiler Queen
I often walk BOTH of my rottweilers together when I take my children to school. I've got complete control over both dogs, and if we meet anyone, and there's room, then we'll step off to the side and go around. If there's not enough room, then the dogs are put into a sit or a down, and we wait until people pass.

It never fails though, that at least ONCE, there will be someone who glares and makes a remark, or a parent who will grab their child and drag them away. But for every one of those people, there will be 5 who smile at the dogs, and ask to pet them. Of course, we oblige, and make sure they know they're petting two well behaved rottweilers. :)

DanL said:
if you feel threatened by a dog looking over the fence in it's own yard.
Only a fool wouldn't feel threatened by an unknown large dog hanging its head over a fence that is small enough for it to jump or climb easily. Between territorial aggression and dog-aggression, this set-up is asking for trouble.

My dog has never (as far as I have noticed) been avoided on a walk. OFC he is only 35 lbs right now, and he is the most handsome fella around. Sometimes I get a following of a kid or two wanting to pet him. My only problem with that is he is mouthy (wont bite hard, but will put teeth on you) and I get sketchy around little kids and him. I get to take him to my work several times a week, for at least a half day or a whole day, so he is used to kids ( I work at a middle school).

I am still waiting for the first person to run the other way, but it hasnt happened yet!

DanL

casablanca1 said:
Only a fool wouldn't feel threatened by an unknown large dog hanging its head over a fence that is small enough for it to jump or climb easily. Between territorial aggression and dog-aggression, this set-up is asking for trouble.
I don't understand what the issue is here. AVOID THAT HOUSE! Pretty simple. You see a low fence and a dog hanging it's head over, you cross the street! Especially since you know your dog is dog aggressive. Don't give them the chance. It might be your "right" to walk on the public sidewalk where that house is, but it definitely isn't the smart thing to do.

Members online

No members online now.